news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox card on the weekend was great. Haven't given it much thought but I can't think of any other UFC card that has been better this year.

Werdum was so impressive and Browne showed off his toughness and heart again. I haven't seen the post fight press conference but from what I've read it seems like Dana White was overly critical of Werdum and didn't go out of his way to sell him as the next title challenger. That's weird because he's by far the best option to face Cain next.

It probably wasn't as bad as it has been at other events but booing when there's 5 seconds of the fighters clinched against the cage or 5 seconds of inactivity on the mat is really annoying me. Any booing in the Khabib fight was ridiculous, yet there was actually quite a lot of it. Pat Barry said that he's spoken to MMA fans that want to see the fighters slug it out and they've then told him that they don't like kickboxing. I'd say a fair share of these people booing basically any grappling are like that, which is weird.

Fox card on the weekend was great. Haven't given it much thought but I can't think of any other UFC card that has been better this year.

Werdum was so impressive and Browne showed off his toughness and heart again. I haven't seen the post fight press conference but from what I've read it seems like Dana White was overly critical of Werdum and didn't go out of his way to sell him as the next title challenger. That's weird because he's by far the best option to face Cain next.

It probably wasn't as bad as it has been at other events but booing when there's 5 seconds of the fighters clinched against the cage or 5 seconds of inactivity on the mat is really annoying me. Any booing in the Khabib fight was ridiculous, yet there was actually quite a lot of it. Pat Barry said that he's spoken to MMA fans that want to see the fighters slug it out and they've then told him that they don't like kickboxing. I'd say a fair share of these people booing basically any grappling are like that, which is weird.

Unless they plan on just doing JDS v Cain over and over then yeh, Werdum makes sense, hopefully his Jits can give Cain some worries on the ground.

I hope Werdum can really test Cain too, but I don't see that happening unless Cain's way off 100% when he comes back. Werdum put Browne on his back, but Browne was able to defend against Werdum's attacks adequately. Only way I could see Cain/Werdum getting to the ground is if Cain's on top, but I think he'll keep it standing and probably beat Werdum up against the fence and at range for 5 rounds or until Werdum gets dropped. Maybe I'm still underrating Werdum as I did prior to the Browne fight though.

Just remembered that Miocic is fighting JDS next. A Miocic win puts him right up there in title contention too. They're planning on having Cain defend his title in Mexico next, so a title fight between two fighters who're fluent in Spanish in Cain and Werdum is perfect on all fronts.

Cain vs Werdum is a fight that I want to see, but not one that I think Werdum will win. He has a submissions chance, but a fully fit Cain is a beast. After he fought JDS the first time when he was injured on the Fox Sports first card, I don't see him signing a fight contract unless he is ready to go.

Cain is the best heavy weight at the moment, JDS is 2nd in my opinion. In the big boys division, everyone is a chance on the day, but Cain is the best.

Barnett is still a feature in the 265, so too is Miocic. So many fun fights to come.

Cain vs Werdum is a fight that I want to see, but not one that I think Werdum will win. He has a submissions chance, but a fully fit Cain is a beast. After he fought JDS the first time when he was injured on the Fox Sports first card, I don't see him signing a fight contract unless he is ready to go.

Cain is the best heavy weight at the moment, JDS is 2nd in my opinion. In the big boys division, everyone is a chance on the day, but Cain is the best.

Barnett is still a feature in the 265, so too is Miocic. So many fun fights to come.

Yeah there are still some good HW fights to come for sure. It won't have direct title implications but Hunt v Overeem is one I want to see, will be easy to market as well, former K1 champs meet in the cage etc.

I can't see anyone beating Cain at the moment, Dana is going to have to find some more A grade talent for the HW division.

I'm not sure if Jon Jones could beat him but he'd definitely give it a fair run if he could put some weight on. But yeah, short of resurrecting early 2000s Fedor I'm not sure if there's anyone who can beat him, I'm sure someone will come out of nowhere though (eventually).

I can't see anyone beating Cain at the moment, Dana is going to have to find some more A grade talent for the HW division.

Cain's shown vulnerability in two fights that I can remember (the Kongo fight and the first dos Santos fight), but apart from that has dominated every second of every fight he's been in. I can't think of a heavyweight in MMA history that I'd favour over him in a fight.

Hopefully there is some A grade talent out there to sign soon so we can see him tested before he leaves his prime. I'm hoping that the new improved version of Werdum can be the next to test him in their fight. He's obviously got the ground skills to win, but his cardio and striking both looked fantastic against Browne as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if Jon Jones could beat him but he'd definitely give it a fair run if he could put some weight on. But yeah, short of resurrecting early 2000s Fedor I'm not sure if there's anyone who can beat him, I'm sure someone will come out of nowhere though (eventually).
I was going to suggest Jon Jones but he's looking like he might be in trouble in his division at the moment.

Exactly, before that fight I didn't think anyone could touch him. I want Gus to give him another shot first to see if he can beat. Plus the Glover first should be a close one.

Jones hasn't lost and only had one fight that he was in trouble in. He is also the most dominate LHW in UFC history, yet you say that he is in trouble?

Jones annoys me as much as he annoys anyone else but it's hard to knock what he's done. In my opinion he is far from in trouble in his division, to me he is the all conquering king of the LHW's.

I look forward to Jones being pummeled profusely over the coming 12 months by the likes of Glover, Gus & Cormier, irrespective of the outcome.

If he could beat (and finish) the lot you mention, it would be hard to dispute him rivalling Anderson as the UFC GOAT, and even above Fedor possibly as the MMA GOAT, the level of competition he has faced and dominated is unprecented. Unless you consider GSP, but of course Jones generally finishes and GSP doesn't which makes him greater imo.

And just imagine he made a run at HW and won the title there? Boggles the mind.

Jones hasn't lost and only had one fight that he was in trouble in. He is also the most dominate LHW in UFC history, yet you say that he is in trouble?

Jones annoys me as much as he annoys anyone else but it's hard to knock what he's done. In my opinion he is far from in trouble in his division, to me he is the all conquering king of the LHW's.

Agreed, but the next crop of challengers (Glover, Gus again, Cormeir, Davis etc) provide new and exciting challenges. He passed the test in his last fight whether you agree with the decision or not, but I doubt it gets any easier for him from here.

This Sunday has the potential to be another great fight... Glover is every bit as dangerous on the feet as Gus is with the added advantage of having a great ground game. He's not as long or as quick as Gus, but I think he has a decent chance of causing the upset.

Agreed, but the next crop of challengers (Glover, Gus again, Cormeir, Davis etc) provide new and exciting challenges. He passed the test in his last fight whether you agree with the decision or not, but I doubt it gets any easier for him from here.

This Sunday has the potential to be another great fight... Glover is every bit as dangerous on the feet as Gus is with the added advantage of having a great ground game. He's not as long or as quick as Gus, but I think he has a decent chance of causing the upset.

I should have added the Vitor fight too.

I agree that his opponents after this week do seem to drop off, especially when you see the guys that he has already beaten. Jones has fought guys with one punch knockout ability before (Rampage, Vitor, Shogun), but Glover is the last of those guys in the division aside from old Henderson.

Davis wants a shot but looked terrible against Rashad when they fought. Jones has also fought better wrestlers than Davis (maybe not DC) and the ones left at LHW (Rashad and Chael). Unless Rumble Johnson lights things up then I think that it's rematch time for Jon. I remember his last fight in the UFC against Vitor when it was at "Rumbleweight" and he was looking good. From memory the ref stood them up ultra, ultra fast, and then Vitor got him on the feet. If his stand up has improved and he looks good against Davis then he might be another one to get a shot.

If he could beat (and finish) the lot you mention, it would be hard to dispute him rivalling Anderson as the UFC GOAT, and even above Fedor possibly as the MMA GOAT, the level of competition he has faced and dominated is unprecented. Unless you consider GSP, but of course Jones generally finishes and GSP doesn't which makes him greater imo.

And just imagine he made a run at HW and won the title there? Boggles the mind.

That is a really good call. Gus, I'm not really worried about......Cormier on the other hand has all the tools to beat Jon Jones. I hope he loses to DC and goes up to HW :)

2012_02_04-213a-medium.jpg

Werdum be trollin'

Just 'cause. :D

I think Jones going up to HW would be good for everyone who completely hates him. Cain and JDS would destroy him imo. The rest of the top 10 would present difficult challenges for him too.

The UFC HW division isn't exactly the deepest, so the UFC would have brought in some good young prospects if there were any out there. It doesn't appear there's much talent coming through. Rosholt just won his 2nd fight in the UFC but he's not that young and I don't believe he'd do very well after a step up in competition. The top 16 in the UFC rankings have 1 guy who's under 30, and that's Stefan Struve who's been out of action for quite a while.

I should have added the Vitor fight too.

I agree that his opponents after this week do seem to drop off, especially when you see the guys that he has already beaten. Jones has fought guys with one punch knockout ability before (Rampage, Vitor, Shogun), but Glover is the last of those guys in the division aside from old Henderson.

Davis wants a shot but looked terrible against Rashad when they fought. Jones has also fought better wrestlers than Davis (maybe not DC) and the ones left at LHW (Rashad and Chael). Unless Rumble Johnson lights things up then I think that it's rematch time for Jon. I remember his last fight in the UFC against Vitor when it was at "Rumbleweight" and he was looking good. From memory the ref stood them up ultra, ultra fast, and then Vitor got him on the feet. If his stand up has improved and he looks good against Davis then he might be another one to get a shot.

That's kind of the opposite of what I was trying to get at. I don't think it gets any easier for Jon after this weekend. Gus will be even hungrier after losing in the manner he did and DC has the wrestling and power than no other Jones opponent has had previously. Agreed on Davis. He doesn't impress me greatly and is doing his best to try and talk his way in to a shot, but outside of the thrashing Rashad handed out he has never been in trouble in real trouble in a fight.

Nickos66, love the Werdum troll face! Tried on Sunday to find a still shot of him doing it in the cage after the Brown fight but couldn't find one. Nice to see it getting some love! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back