News The Ginnivan Rule - AFL cracks down

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet our nice guys attitude saw us bullied in many games especially under buckley, you know you can also manufacture square ups that can be done legitimately.

I'm talking following in Lion's, Hawks and Richmond 3 peat teams footsteps, all 3 would play hard edged footy not scared to cross the line when needed either. Pick your moments.

But yes our way does see us drop games and look meek like last year or dropping the West Coast game this year. Dogs bashed us up around the ball and we wilted.

Fly has addressed many things and overall has us playing an excellent brand but we still have work to do in this area.
You disagree and think twinkle toes footy is where it's at, I get it. We are diametrically opposed in how we view the game and the way it should be played.
That being the case, would you have been fine with players remonstrating after that first incident, giving away a couple of 50's and potentially costing us one of the greatest wins in our club's history?

Can you also explain what a legitimate square up looks like?

Yet there are plenty on this thread wanting Ginnivan's team mates to do the same thing if not worse, as if it wouldn't cost us the game, finals etc.

No people aren't talking about king hits like that hit on G.Brown.
That being the case, would you have been fine with players remonstrating after that first incident, giving away a couple of 50's and potentially costing us one of the greatest wins in our club's history?

Can you also explain what a legitimate square up looks like?

How do you know it wouldn't of fired the team up, instead of coming out flat and limp wristed for the next 2 quarters like they did?

Rather then your take on the potential derailing of a whole game and in other posts season?

If it helps to make defenders think twice or teams in general then I'd take the short term hit.
You can't allow teams to continually walk all over our players or youth and if you think it's helping ignoring it you'd be wrong it's escalating.

How do you think our 2010/11 team would of handled it? I'll give you a hint watch Didak and Jake King saga.

No people aren't talking about king hits like that hit on G.Brown.

How do you know it wouldn't of fired the team up, instead of coming out flat and limp wristed for the next 2 quarters like they did?

Rather then your take on the potential derailing of a whole game and in other posts season?

If it helps to make defenders think twice or teams in general then I'd take the short term hit.
You can't allow teams to continually walk all over our players or youth and if you think it's helping ignoring it you'd be wrong it's escalating.

How do you think our 2010/11 team would of handled it? I'll give you a hint watch Didak and Jake King saga.
Again, what action do you think would make a defender think twice about tackling Ginnivan high?

Again, what action do you think would make a defender think twice about tackling Ginnivan high?

Smash him every time a player goes near him, rip him off Ginnivan just as vigorously as he rips ginnis head off, if the opportunity arises drive the knees in, tackle with intentvto hurt every time he gets it, do the same off the ball s**t Ginnivan cops weekly. Verbally let them know the teams coming for them. Make their day hell when you can but keeping focussed on the job, you don't have to lose your cool.

I get what you're saying and I'm old enough to have seen both ways of playing the situation (discipline v Thuggery) and I believe I never saw Gavin Brown ever hit another player (with a fist or an elbow or anything illegal) But I'm convinced had Rowdy been on the field on Sunday he'd have been in Redman's face, chesting him and making sure that the defender (and any other Essendon player within earshot) knew that they were now the hunted. He'd have gone into beast mode and made sure his next tackle or contest was supercharged and that from that moment on, no quarter would be given. Bucks would have been the same, Millane the same. Some blokes don't have to chuck haymakers to assume dominance in that situation and I'm surprised that Maynard or Adams hasn't assumed that role (I assume that they're too disciplined)

Banksy would have seen red!

I get what you're saying and I'm old enough to have seen both ways of playing the situation (discipline v Thuggery) and I believe I never saw Gavin Brown ever hit another player (with a fist or an elbow or anything illegal) But I'm convinced had Rowdy been on the field on Sunday he'd have been in Redman's face, chesting him and making sure that the defender (and any other Essendon player within earshot) knew that they were now the hunted. He'd have gone into beast mode and made sure his next tackle or contest was supercharged and that from that moment on, no quarter would be given. Bucks would have been the same, Millane the same. Some blokes don't have to chuck haymakers to assume dominance in that situation and I'm surprised that Maynard or Adams hasn't assumed that role (I assume that they're too disciplined)

Banksy would have seen red!
Respectfully I'll take the current winning style over faux tough guy antics. Players shouldn't need to be prompted to assume dominance or be "the hunter".

Yeah, past players have regularly cited fighting with Jake King in 2009 as the catalyst for winning the premiership a year later...

It was about an attitude and physically stamping themselves on Richmond and King not letting him target one of our like he'd been doing.

We had been seen as a somewhat soft team leading into that season in fact it carried over from 03 GF.

They literally set him up and gave him the ball just to pile onto him. Maxwell came down and zoned players around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was about an attitude and physically stamping themselves on Richmond and King not letting him target one of our like he'd been doing.

We had been seen as a somewhat soft team leading into that season in fact it carried over from 03 GF.

They literally set him up and gave him the ball just to pile onto him. Maxwell came down and zoned players around him.
Great, they went after one of the shittest players in modern footy who was playing in a side that finished second last. I'll bet the other clubs were terrified.

Next you'll use the Line in The Sand game as the reason for Hawthorn's success four years later

It was an accident they both went for the ball Mihoceks hands caught redmans who fell flat on his back into the ground. There was not the slightest bit of I'll intent from miho in that.
It was legit contact from a bloke going hard at it, which is exactly what I am getting at.

Respectfully I'll take the current winning style over faux tough guy antics. Players shouldn't need to be prompted to assume dominance or be "the hunter".

Yeah and I'll take winning and having a team play hard footy looking after team mates over being just in games, team mates being taken out and bullied and just getting over the line. You should be looking to improve all aspects the best teams play hard, tough and aggressive.

This played a part in the making of the 2010 team who often had suspensions and 50s paid, If you think it didn't you are deluded.

It was legit contact from a bloke going hard at it, which is exactly what I am getting at.

Yes but it wasn't really miho didn't body him, he literally reached up for the ball and tried to pull the ball down.
Redman had launched up and back at the ball with his hands it was purely accidental, pivoted him off balance and fell himself into the turf.
It was not mihocek barnstorming through him in the marking contest if you get me.

Great, they went after one of the shittest players in modern footy who was playing in a side that finished second last. I'll bet the other clubs were terrified.

Next you'll use the Line in The Sand game as the reason for Hawthorn's success four years later

It was the change in our mindset and the way we played and carried ourselves there after.

You really DONT get it do you.

And yes that Hawks game did help set them up for the coming unsociable Hawks they became. It also played its part long term.

So, in other words, you have no idea about the inner workings of the club, nor the support network that Ginnivan has there, yet you're more than willing to go off on them for not giving him "true support".

Utter rubbish
Well, I can tell you this. If there is no support shown on the field, then the opposition players will continue to do it for the whole game no matter how much support he gets behind closed doors. So no, it's not utter rubbish..it is fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back