The 'Go Home 5' Post-Mortem

Remove this Banner Ad

Not trying to be smart or anything, just pointing out that that is a funny thing to read about a professional footballer.
I was referring to a post where the guy said he avoids contact. I was saying l have seen that he doesn't.
I think you would be surprised at some players who just don't do a hell of a lot of tackling. You see some people with 0 or 1tackle for a game.

While I am not 100%. I am pretty comfortable with Gardiner as Lion at this stage. We are in the safer position. Polec just might still become a gun, but Dizzy looks a good bet to become a very good player.

I reckon Polec will be a very good player, but in terms of who I want at our club it's Gardiner, no question. We need the heart and aggression more than the extra outside run and polish.

Gardiner has shown more than Polec ever did while he was here. Who knows whether or not Polec would have played like he did in the first half of the year had he stayed with us. All that we can compare them on is their time at the Lions and therefore Gardiner>Polec by a country mile.

Gardiner has shown more than Polec ever did while he was here. Who knows whether or not Polec would have played like he did in the first half of the year had he stayed with us. All that we can compare them on is their time at the Lions and therefore Gardiner>Polec by a country mile.

Gardiner has played in excess of 10 very solid games at AFL level so far in his career.
Polec might have played 15 competent or better games if we're generous (I've only watched a few Port games this year).

One is 18 and in his first season, the other 21 and in his fourth.

While I don't wish any specific ill will upon Polec (he lied), I think it's obvious that we're already on the right side of the ledger on this one.

Gardiner has played in excess of 10 very solid games at AFL level so far in his career.
Polec might have played 15 competent or better games if we're generous (I've only watched a few Port games this year).

One is 18 and in his first season, the other 21 and in his fourth.

While I don't wish any specific ill will upon Polec (he lied), I think it's obvious that we're already on the right side of the ledger on this one.
Seriously don't waste any more energy or thought about Polec. We have in our midst an upgrade for the wing position from our rookie list and we never nearly realised. Leppa has noticed and has already seen a HUGE improvement with more upside to come. Crispy at 192cm and runs like the wind with a huge kick that penetrates will get better and better with accuracy as he acclimatises to the speed of the AFL. Isaac Smith was the same for his first 30 games and that was with a lot more class and experience around the ground to support him. This lad will be the BIG thing in 2 years time! Bring it on!

Seriously don't waste any more energy or thought about Polec. We have in our midst an upgrade for the wing position from our rookie list and we never nearly realised. Leppa has noticed and has already seen a HUGE improvement with more upside to come. Crispy at 192cm and runs like the wind with a huge kick that penetrates will get better and better with accuracy as he acclimatises to the speed of the AFL. Isaac Smith was the same for his first 30 games and that was with a lot more class and experience around the ground to support him. This lad will be the BIG thing in 2 years time! Bring it on!
I like your optimism about Crisp.
Tbh, before he played for us several weeks ago, l didn't think he was that good, just nothing special about him. But right now, he looks dangerous as a goal-kicking midfielder and who knows, we could have another Rockliff on our hands.

Tbh, before he played for us several weeks ago, l didn't think he was that good, just nothing special about him. But right now, he looks dangerous as a goal-kicking midfielder and who knows, we could have another Rockliff on our hands.
Crisp had nothing special? From where I was watching he seemed to have elite pace for his height (191 cm IIRC), he is aggressive and reads the play well with great positioning. Even in his debut year he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time but lacked polish on his skills. I recall a game he had where he missed 3 or 4 goals but was always in the right spots. Its good to see he has adapted to his new position very well imo and is managing to get free a lot of times 80-60m from goal.

I think he could become a sound replacement for Polec albeit slightly different skill sets. I think Crisp is faster and can definately go in and get his own ball when required, but Polec has an elite kick and is the kind of bloke that you want at the end of a chain of possessions kicking into f50.

Crispy has actually shown quite a bit at NEAFL and just never had much of a solid run in the seniors (Lisle not in the same league).

He's often been BOG in the 2nds - he's a very useful player.

Crisp had nothing special? From where I was watching he seemed to have elite pace for his height (191 cm IIRC), he is aggressive and reads the play well with great positioning. Even in his debut year he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time but lacked polish on his skills. I recall a game he had where he missed 3 or 4 goals but was always in the right spots. Its good to see he has adapted to his new position very well imo and is managing to get free a lot of times 80-60m from goal.

I think he could become a sound replacement for Polec albeit slightly different skill sets. I think Crisp is faster and can definately go in and get his own ball when required, but Polec has an elite kick and is the kind of bloke that you want at the end of a chain of possessions kicking into f50.
I think you misread my post.

This means when l first saw him in his 1st year. I actually like him now, showed some pace and getting better with his goal-kicking. Not sure if he fits in best 22 with our outs but hopefully he gets in there somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough, I've thought the same thing myself.

I was quite surprised that it took Crisp so long to finally get a call up after being named an emergency nine times this year, but genuinely rapt that since he got his chance, he not only has grabbed it, but in the process has looked very, very good and in all likelihood earnt himself another two year contract. If he hasn't, I've no doubt another club will snap him, but nonetheless, Jack has definitely resurrected his AFL career.

Crisp is an interesting one - I am hopeful that there is a lot more upside to come with him. He has plenty to work on but he seems to have had a break out and knows what he can contribute and how hard to work. There is a look about him that makes me think he has the capacity to tear oppositions apart with a little more development.

I really like that we took him in the rookie draft (close to our last pick I think) and he might be another rookie bargain for us. Something much more satisfying about developing our rookie picks while the first rounder takes off home.

I think the Go Home 5 really have become a blessing in disguise.

Firstly, we have drafted kids that look like they love being here, play with confidence and as a team and have already begun to sign on.

Secondly, it did give us a wake up call as far as player management is concerned, which did need, more to make sure its up to notch more than anything.

Of the 5 the only one I would take back now would be Yeo, only to free Mayes up to run forward and because I think Harwood is a slightly lesser version of him. That being said, Harwood has come along a fair bit this season.

The other 4 really dont slot into our side right now.

I think the Go Home 5 really have become a blessing in disguise.

Firstly, we have drafted kids that look like they love being here, play with confidence and as a team and have already begun to sign on.

Secondly, it did give us a wake up call as far as player management is concerned, which did need, more to make sure its up to notch more than anything.

Of the 5 the only one I would take back now would be Yeo, only to free Mayes up to run forward and because I think Harwood is a slightly lesser version of him. That being said, Harwood has come along a fair bit this season.

The other 4 really dont slot into our side right now.

Yeo--->pick 28--->Taylor...I still think Yeo will be very good but I am happy with the swap.

hey guys, i am very, very average with this sort of stuff... and apologize if its been k =discussed before

but who did we get for those players

yeo =
polec =
patty = paine
longer =
docherty

cheers

hey guys, i am very, very average with this sort of stuff... and apologize if its been k =discussed before

but who did we get for those players

Yeo = Lewis Taylor
Polec = Polec's trade was an interesting one. It was a complicated three-way deal which saw the Lions gain Pick No.22 (Darcy Gardiner) and Pick No.34 (Nick Robertson) and GWS and Port exchanged picks.
Karnezis = Paine
Longer = For Longer, we gave up pick 48 as well for pick 25 and 41 which we picked up McStay and West and GWS ended up passing on pick 48. Huge win.
Docherty = Tom Cutler

Yeo = Lewis Taylor

Polec = Polec's trade was an interesting one. It was a complicated three-way deal which saw the Lions gain Pick No.22 (Darcy Gardiner) and Pick No.34 (Nick Robertson) and GWS and Port exchanged picks.
Karnezis = Paine
Longer = For Longer, we gave up pick 48 as well for pick 25 and 41 which we picked up McStay and West and GWS ended up passing on pick 48. Huge win.
Docherty = Tom Cutler

cheers mates. Looks to me we did very well especially the longer trade.

I think Polec is a more than useful player and has been good for Port this year.

Having said that, I'm very happy to have Darcy on out list.

Polec is a decent player in a decent side. If Port struggles, Polecs performance drops dramatically, based on the fact his a bit if a downward skier and doesn't impact the game himself.

Polec is an average player, nothing more.

Ma
The secondary benefit of the Longer trade is Martin showing how good a ruck he can be.

Martins challenge is he needs to do this performance over a number of years, not just in 8 games. He also performed like this with Melbourne, then went missing for 2 years. Injuries were a small.part of this, but not for the whole two years.

Based on this, I would still be seeing Leuey as our key Ruckman until Martin can prove himself over a full year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back