The Great Gold Coast Raid

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So we all know earlier in the year there was some interest in Charlie Dixon before he re-signed and speculation about Josh Caddy has continued since last trade period. Add to that Josh Toy, Maverick Weller and now Tom Hickey attracting interest around the league. The Suns have not lost any of their younger players yet but one would have to think it could be on the cards this trade period. You would also have to think this isn't going to be the last time this will happen. This thread is intended for any information regarding the raid of Gold Coast's younger players. I'll start it off:

Last night on The Footy Show it was reported that St Kilda were interested in Tom Hickey. Some people have stated that Sam Gilbert could be a possible trade option if it were to eventuate.

Yeah, Damo said that Hickey 'wanted to go home' apparently. Home to Saint Kilda.

Nevermind the fact that Hickey is from Queensland and grew up in Brisbane. :rolleyes:

Would be tough to see the Saints trading away Gilbert. Didn't they just re-sign him for 3 years not even a month ago?
He probably meant Caddy when speaking of wanting to go home but he wouldn't have said Hickey for no reason. Yeah Gilbert did re-sign recently but getting a quality young ruckman who can go forward is probably all the Saints are missing at the moment.

Its no secret I got huge wraps on Caddy, one of my fave players. Hope he stays. Saw on another board a poster come up with this golden gem.

O'Meara + Caddy for Hurley... :confused:

Had to share it with someone.

8p10n.gif

Just the response I was looking for, thanks guys :)

I cant really tell if the responses after that are thinking its overs or unders though...strange mob those supporters.

back on track now...

Hickey
Caddy
Toy

As far as I've heard around such reliable traps and couple of news articles these are the only 3 other clubs may have interest in?

Yeah, Damo said that Hickey 'wanted to go home' apparently. Home to Saint Kilda.

Nevermind the fact that Hickey is from Queensland and grew up in Brisbane. :rolleyes:

Would be tough to see the Saints trading away Gilbert. Didn't they just re-sign him for 3 years not even a month ago?

I actually meant to start a thread about that, I saw the Wash Up on AFL.com when they were reviewing our season, and you can tell that douche canoe didn't watch any of our games at all. No mention on how decimated our list was at all, just that we didn't get better when we clearly did. If that arsehole was any dumber, we'd have to water him twice a week.

I'd go as far as saying he isn't fitting in as well up here, socially. On twitter, instagram, etc., all the boys seem to have different groups that they've formed. Like for example you see Swallow, O'Meara, Matera, McKenzie, Bennell who hang around with each other, then there's Gorringe, May, Lynch, Gillbee. I think he lives with Josh Hall and Schade (not 100% sure), who are both new at the club. Perhaps he hasn't formed the friendships that others have. He had a full pre-season didn't he? No reason why he shouldn't be fit. He's got the skills, but yeah it's a puzzling one.

Hickey
Caddy
Toy

As far as I've heard around such reliable traps and couple of news articles these are the only 3 other clubs may have interest in?

I have also heard that there are a few Victorian clubs interested in Maverick Weller. So I guess Hickey, Caddy, Toy and Weller would be the current list.

I actually meant to start a thread about that, I saw the Wash Up on AFL.com when they were reviewing our season, and you can tell that douche canoe didn't watch any of our games at all. No mention on how decimated our list was at all, just that we didn't get better when we clearly did. If that arsehole was any dumber, we'd have to water him twice a week.

My thoughts exactly when I watched that segment. Darcy was pulling him up a bit and he just kept sticking to his ignorant narrow minded bullshit.
Worst journo out there, he just talks absolute rubbish.

Also crapping on about how Folau should and will give up, no grounds just crap. Completely disputed that Hunt's persistence paid off and said no hes pretty average still.

Watch a game you dweeb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see us keeping all of our ruckmen, but we wouldn't want to lose too many either. Assuming we have decided to keep Smith & Dixon, that leaves Hickey, Gorringe, Nicholls & Josh Hall (who is still a Rookie). We could maybe trade 2 of them, but I reckon we'd keep at least 1 out of Gorringe & Hickey, unless we were bringing in Tippett as a replacement.

This article from a few months ago may bring some light to what you are talking about: "THE SUNS are prepared to trade midfield gun Josh Caddy and one of their young ruckmen. The Suns took a deliberate strategy of stocking up on ruckmen when they built their inaugural list knowing they were a rare commodity and would be of the greatest trade value. Only Zac Smith is off limits."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ddy-on-the-coast/story-fn8hw6t9-1226407203839

Maybe Hickey was being played this year to "fatten him up" for sale?

You will have even less need for as many ruck options as you have if you get Tippett, so someone needs to make way. Hickey sounds ideal for us. I take it he's been quite impressive this year?

I saw his marking against Collingwood and then us and was mighty impressed, but haven't seen any of his ruckwork, that I remember.

Ew Andrew Hamilton.

I realize we were bound to get rid of some ruckman, just not this early in the piece. Hickey is still a year off playing consistent senior footy. The only reason he played for a continued stint this year is because Gorringe, Smith and Dixon were all injured. IMO I still think we brought him in too early. But not much you can do with injuries I guess!

Would think we would ideally cast off Nichols before Hickey. But what do I know? ;)

I haven't heard of Nichols, but maybe your club thinks it will get more in return for Hickey?

If you get Tippett, then Hickey would be, what, possibly 5th in line, behind all of Smith, Tippett, Dixon and Gorringe? Hard to imagine you need that much ruck depth, so you may as well get something for him, especially as he's just been playing senior footy and has had good exposure. If you wait another year and he doesn't play, because the other 4 ahead of him all get games, then he might not be worth as much at the trade table this time next year.

I haven't heard of Nichols, but maybe your club thinks it will get more in return for Hickey?

If you get Tippett, then Hickey would be, what, possibly 5th in line, behind all of Smith, Tippett, Dixon and Gorringe? Hard to imagine you need that much ruck depth, so you may as well get something for him, especially as he's just been playing senior footy and has had good exposure. If you wait another year and he doesn't play, because the other 4 ahead of him all get games, then he might not be worth as much at the trade table this time next year.
We had heaps of injuries this year, so needed plenty of back-up ruckmen. Hickey surprised me with how much he improved from the previous year. He's a quick learner & is already one of our strongest contested marks. I think you are on the right track, that we would get more for him than for Nicholls.

That might be why you'd keep someone like Nicholls, as back-up, because you don't think you'd get much in return for him, so you trade the one you do think has good value, but who will likewise only be on the list as back-up, if you keep him.

It's similar with our list. We have way too many for some positions, so I would prefer we trade someone who plays in one of those positions who is not the best in that position, but is also not the worst, so that you get something worthwhile for him, while still having others there that aren't quite as good, as purely back-up, in case of injury, or whatever.

There's not much point in having someone who has trade value sitting in the ressies if you have others there with him in the ressies who also play that position, I reckon, especially if you have holes in other parts of your list that you need to fill (like we do).

IF we get Tippett , i can see us casting 2 rucks of in the trade period , it does'nt make sense having Tippett , Smith , Dixon , Gorringe , Hickey and Nicholls , would be bad list management to keep them all or even to cull just one.

IF we get Tippett , i can see us casting 2 rucks of in the trade period , it does'nt make sense having Tippett , Smith , Dixon , Gorringe , Hickey and Nicholls , would be bad list management to keep them all or even to cull just one.

Yeh spot on, if we land Tippett, we can definitely afford to offload 2 rucks. Nichols seems delist material unfortunately, not much trade incentive there. So I guess it will come down to the best trades offered for Hickey or Gorringe. I just can't see us securing Tippett without offloading Gorringe to the Crows though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back