Food & Drink The Hangar Beer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When in Marseille several years back my wife and I went to the pub, and they had Adelscott on the beer list. Its one of the 1001 beers I'm trying before I die, and as I was intrigued by the idea of a whisky beer is was on the lookout for it. I ordered it, but they told me they didn't have any, and instead they had a beer Wel Scotch on tap.

The Wel Scotch was bloody amazing, and I immediately thought of my old man and how I'd track it down again someday for him to try. When I was probably around 8, my old man was advised by his doctor that beer was damaging his health and he was better off drinking whisky. Not one to turn his back on a doctor's advice he promptly made the switch. Only recently has dad started to have beer semi-regularly, and its made me even more keen to get my hands on the Wel Scotch beer again.

I've since tried the Adelscott and also Tullibardine 1488 whisky beer and I don't think they're a patch on the Wel Scotch I had off tap.

yodellinhank, you're a fan of Scotch ales, eh?

Let's have a drink some time. I could go all night on those things.
I pretty much like all beer, even the styles I don't go (usually summer beers with little flavour) for I can see their place. Been meaning to get to a tanked sometime (I'm a bit of a "gunna") schedule just hasn't fell my way.

You gents might be interested in pine/spruce ales. The starch comes primarily from pine needles with just a touch of hops, no barley/etc. Comes out properly strong, a bit like mead, if you're familiar with it, and best sipped in very small quantities at room temperature.

I can't seem to find the one I've had most exposure to, it might be this in an older style bottle though: http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beerboard/bottles/alba

You gents might be interested in pine/spruce ales. The starch comes primarily from pine needles with just a touch of hops, no barley/etc. Comes out properly strong, a bit like mead, if you're familiar with it, and best sipped in very small quantities at room temperature.

I can't seem to find the one I've had most exposure to, it might be this in an older style bottle though: http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beerboard/bottles/alba
I can genuinely say I've not had one. Must give it a try.

Had a try of the Mountain Goat Amber Ale tonight. A very heavy beer despite being mid-strength. I enjoyed it, but I think I'll stick with lager's ahead of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he's an expat!
When I was on my honeymoon, I was trying to plough through as many foreign beers as possible. In London I gave a heap of cask ales a go, and quite enjoyed them until my wife came back from the bar with her Fosters.

It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, perfect creamy head and fizzing away with frost around the glass due to its cold serving temperature. Nek minnut...

adventur1_.jpg

There's a reason it's for a hard earnt thirst and that's so you slam it down so fast that it bypasses the tastebuds.
That's the idea. It's not alone in that category though...

West End
Swan
Emu
VB
Carlton

All are filthy assaults on decent standards of beer.

West End
Swan
Emu
VB
Carlton

Is this the confessions thread? My home town was very much a VB out of a stubbie/tinnie and Carlton out of a tap kind of town. It wasn't until I started home brewing at about 20 years of age that I was awakened to alternative beer styles

West End
Swan
Emu
VB
Carlton

How dare you speak about VB and Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarlton like that. :cry:

Is this the confessions thread? My home town was very much a VB out of a stubbie/tinnie and Carlton out of a tap kind of town. It wasn't until I started home brewing at about 20 years of age that I was awakened to alternative beer styles
Most of us grew up drinking either Carlton or VB. I swore by CD until I was about 24-25 and started drinking different crafts. I haven't had a VB or CD for around 10 years now, can't stand the stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back