Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the main reasons is essentially a non-factor in today's matches (pitch deterioration). Most of the time, the team chasing over 400 a) doesn't have enough time to chase 400, or goes for the draw instead, and b) isn't good enough anyway (ie Bangladesh being set 400). Neither applies here. There's a reason why a lot of the highest 4th innings chases in FC cricket have occurred in the last 20 years. It's entirely reasonable to think Australia can win this. They got themselves into this hole via Smith, Clarke and Voges throwing away starts.
My pessimism was based more than anything around the fact that I don't think this side has the ability to stick it out very well.

Great front runners but not so much when it goes the other way.

For example, I could quite easily see us defending 200 in the last innings. But chasing any sort of decent score? Not really.

It's frustrating. In terms of 4th innings run chases, we have the best opening combination in the world IMO. Rogers has scored some serious runs in 4th innings' before. He scored a double ton last year in a 4th innings against Yorkshire, who won the championship comfortably.

a shame that for 2 days, the press respect Haddin's matter and don't say anything, and then 6 minutes into C9's coverage they spill the beans
Since it's out there (haven't seen it), what's Haddin's matter?

It was to do with Mia, of course. She's been in hospital for two days. (the family was already in England)
Absolutely shocking. Is it time for him to retire and look after his little girl?

Given it was Taylor who said it, I'm guessing he had permission.

And everyone would've already assumed it anyway.
Healy said it he it was to do with the daughter initially, and then Taylor added on details. As you say, everyone assumed it was to do with Mia, so I don't think they should have said it. The producer should hang for this!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice comeback by the Aussies, though the pitch is making Adelaide Oval look like a mine field by comparison. Unless it breaks up badly late in the test we'll need to take all our chances to win this one I reckon.

Less than 600 or thereabouts is a fail from this position. Saw one or two ball leap from Ali so I expect Lyon to be licking his lips late in the game.

Less than 600 or thereabouts is a fail from this position. Saw one or two ball leap from Ali so I expect Lyon to be licking his lips late in the game.
Jimmy Anderson helped the spinners a fair bit during his spells.

Jimmy Anderson helped the spinners a fair bit during his spells.
Yeah, you'd have Johnson and Starc bowling almost exclusively from that end to give Lyon foot marks, wouldn't you?

Yeah, you'd have Johnson and Starc bowling almost exclusively from that end to give Lyon foot marks, wouldn't you?
Problem is they'll be pulled up on it with an official warning, unlike Anderson.

But you'd do the most you can until that happens though. Go for the kill.

Problem is they'll be pulled up on it with an official warning, unlike Anderson.

But you'd do the most you can until that happens though. Go for the kill.
Doesn't necessarily have to be in the dangerous area (which is basically the stump line), but 1-2 feet right of that...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back