Movies & TV The Hangar Film Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty brilliant. I think some people have gone into expecting a drama or a narrative, which isn't what it provides. It's an experimental art film more than anything. Critical that you watch it in one go though.

Going by my own experience of the movie, it makes one recollect each stage of their own childhood, meaning the viewer can identify with the movie enough to enjoy it.

Bergman

Am I to assume you're on a Bergman kick? Just intuition if so.

Just watched The Virgin Spring the other weak. s**t's off the chain.

Not really on a kick but I'm certainly always up for some Bergman, I just like to update my avatar every now and then. I still haven't got around to watching The Virgin Spring, but coincidentally my Criterion BR copy of Cries & Whispers just arrived in the mail. So that will probably start me on a kick.

Cries & Whispers is probably my least favourite of what I've seen (not much) and it's still mesmerising. I've sort of watched dribs and drabs over the years but now am eager to dig deeper. Virgin Spring is the one I've liked most, before that it was Wild Strawberries.

My second-favourite Woody Allen film is one big Bergman riff, though - Interiors.

Now you've got me itching to watch Virgin Spring.

I've never been that big of a fan of Woody Allen because I find that "neurotic New York Jew" character grating, even though it's just how he is as a person. With that being said, everything I've seen by him was quite enjoyable and I should just persevere.

I haven't been watching much lately, actually. I've just been going through Twin Peaks again in preparation of the new season, however, if David Lynch isn't going to be involved in the production after all then I'm not sure how excited I'll be.

Here's to hoping it's a negotiation tactic.

I've seen all of Lynch outside of Twin Peaks and its film. Might binge it if the new thing goes ahead.

Allen isn't in Interiors so that element is obviously downplayed. It can be a bit of a false dawn though with his films as he often has a surrogate for himself... Kenneth Branagh does an uncanny impersonation in Celebrity for instance. I like most of his films but a few of the out-and-out masterpieces like The Purple Rose of Cairo don't feature him at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also please note that the villains are having a Nazi rally, their symbol is black and red, and it's actually a giant asterisk (not a +, The Prosecutor)

And they say the world isn't watching the Essendon drug scandal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back