Movies & TV The Hangar Game of Thrones Thread **SEASON 8 SPOILERS**

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone asked me tonight not to put GoT spoilers on my facebook page. Literally all I said was:

Is that too spoilerish? Like for me if I don't want something spoiled I'd avoid social media until I can watch it.

It’s a bit spoilerish, but I also agree that if you don’t want something spoiled, just avoid places where spoilers are likely to appear.

During the airing of season 7 I had a student ask me not to spoil anything for him during class. I thought that was fair enough until I realised he was only up to season 3.... We did have a rule in class that there was to be no GoT talk until Thursday.

There’s a theory that’s been going around for a while that the Night King, Brandon the Builder and Bran Stark are all the same person. Given Bran’s ability to time travel, it certainly isn’t outside the realms of possibility. Having said that, with only 4 hrs of run time left it would be impossible to do that story arc any justice.
I agree that there doesn't seem to be enough time left to develop stories satisfyingly if they're too complicated.

My son, who unlike me has read the books, has a recently developed theory about the NK coming back that involves the mad king, the king slayer, Bran and the NK. It also had something to do with the Hodor story.

Eth, if you thought my theory was over-complicated...

my theory is that the author of the books and the show runners of the series have made a deal whereby the books will explore in detail a lot more of the twists and turns and lore and stuff and the tv show will be a fast tracked, action backed summary- a highlights reel, if you will

I agree that there doesn't seem to be enough time left to develop stories satisfyingly if they're too complicated.

My son, who unlike me has read the books, has a recently developed theory about the NK coming back that involves the mad king, the king slayer, Bran and the NK. It also had something to do with the Hodor story.

Does he remember that there isn’t a night king in the books?

There’s a “nights king” that lived in the age of heroes, 8000(?) years before the events of the current series. He was a (human) lord commander of the nights watch that took a WW as a wife and ruled as a king from the Nightfort. Hence “Night’s King”. He made sacrifices to the WW and all records of him were destroyed later because of that. He’s the reason the nights watch castles are undefended from the south. He was supposedly a Brandon Stark of Winterfell according to Old Nan, but not the same character as the leader of WW in the show...

I mean there’s time in the last two books to reveal a night king ww leader but it hasn’t happened yet and the probability is fairly low, seems like a creative decision on behalf of the tv producers to personify a concept for the sake of the show and giving you a focal point (not a bad thing but difficult to then use book material to prove he’s the same person as another character).

“...in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.” - George R. R. Martin

my theory is that the author of the books and the show runners of the series have made a deal whereby the books will explore in detail a lot more of the twists and turns and lore and stuff and the tv show will be a fast tracked, action backed summary- a highlights reel, if you will
Sounds about right. Some things are completely show only though, in the same way that some book plots and characters were never adapted. We won’t know for sure which is which until the rest of the books are published, but the show is almost fanfiction, with a few hints rolled in :p

Does he remember that there isn’t a night king in the books?

There’s a “nights king” that lived in the age of heroes, 8000(?) years before the events of the current series. He was a (human) lord commander of the nights watch that took a WW as a wife and ruled as a king from the Nightfort. Hence “Night’s King”. He made sacrifices to the WW and all records of him were destroyed later because of that. He’s the reason the nights watch castles are undefended from the south. He was supposedly a Brandon Stark of Winterfell according to Old Nan, but not the same character as the leader of WW in the show...

I mean there’s time in the last two books to reveal a night king ww leader but it hasn’t happened yet and the probability is fairly low, seems like a creative decision on behalf of the tv producers to personify a concept for the sake of the show and giving you a focal point (not a bad thing but difficult to then use book material to prove he’s the same person as another character).

“...in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.” - George R. R. Martin
I'd say so. He didn't say that his theory was dependent on the story lines in the books (and referred to previous series and episodes which i couldn't remember.) He agreed with me that the NK was disposed of too quickly and easily for that to be that.

Also, there was a moment between the NK and Bran, where it could have been that Bran almost smiled at him in greeting. I like the ep better (apart from it being too dark and the mistake with the cavalry) if this battle is seen as only part of the on-going war between the living and the dead.

I'd say so. He didn't say that his theory was dependent on the story lines in the books (and referred to previous series and episodes which i couldn't remember.) He agreed with me that the NK was disposed of too quickly and easily for that to be that.

Also, there was a moment between the NK and Bran, where it could have been that Bran almost smiled at him in greeting. I like the ep better (apart from it being too dark and the mistake with the cavalry) if this battle is seen as only part of the on-going war between the living and the dead.
Could’ve just been smiling coz he knew arya was about to spider monkey him. “Haha you fell in my trap”. It’s too complex for a show-only theory. These writers are flat out putting in dialogue let alone backstory. :p

Could’ve just been smiling coz he knew arya was about to spider monkey him. “Haha you fell in my trap”. It’s too complex for a show-only theory. These writers are flat out putting in dialogue let alone backstory. :p
What's too complex? Agree that to bring the show to an end they need to simplify the sotrylines, I just don't think that is the end of the Bran/NK story.

How the **** do you marry a ww?
In the books they’re beautiful. They also have a language that sounds like ice cracking.

We don’t know for sure she’s a ww, the description of her is “skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars”, and “her skin was as cold as ice” which is usually interpretted as her being a ww. Within the books some characters think she’s nonmagical, just a daughter of a barrow king (sub region of the north).

What's too complex? Agree that to bring the show to an end they need to simplify the sotrylines, I just don't think that is the end of the Bran/NK story.
Well either it’s a book theory that has room for complexity but no night king,

Or it’s a show theory that is too complex for the show to actually do...?

Someone asked me tonight not to put GoT spoilers on my facebook page. Literally all I said was:

Is that too spoilerish? Like for me if I don't want something spoiled I'd avoid social media until I can watch it.
You pretty much told everyone Arya would do something significant. You put the though in their head and they then knew to wait for Arya.

That is spoiler to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand, what are you saying is too complex?
I was asking about your son’s theory, who has read the books and thinks the mad king and kingslayer are involved?

I was asking about your son’s theory, who has read the books and thinks the mad king and kingslayer are involved?
Oh, Ok. I agree his theory is complicated but I also didn't understand it or explain it well. He didn't relate it back to the NK's character in the books, but rather tied together threads from previous series (mad king, kingslayer, hodor) with the scene in the godswood. It was based on an assumption that the NK/Bran storyline still has legs (so to speak!)

Do you think that's the end of the NK/Bran story? It's not too complicated to think that NK lives on (the NK touched Bran in the cave), surely?

Oh, Ok. I agree his theory is complicated but I also didn't understand it or explain it well. He didn't relate it back to the NK's character in the books, but rather tied together threads from previous series (mad king, kingslayer, hodor) with the scene in the godswood. It was based on an assumption that the NK/Bran storyline still has legs (so to speak!)

Do you think that's the end of the NK/Bran story? It's not too complicated to think that that's the end of the NK (the NK touched Bran in the cave and that's how WWs are made), surely?
No idea. We have one more big battle in episode 5 which is likely to be against Cersei, and two episodes outside of that to deal with foreshadowing Cersei and wrapping up the show. So it seems likely that touching him with valyrian steel was all that was necessary for the NK plot.

Coldhands is half white walker and half human but his consciousness and ethics seem human, helping bran to get to the tree beyond the wall. Aka benjen stark in the show.

If the show now turned bran into NK2.0 then that would be quite a deviation from what we expect in the books.

No idea. We have one more big battle in episode 5 which is likely to be against Cersei, and two episodes outside of that to deal with foreshadowing Cersei and wrapping up the show. So it seems likely that touching him with valyrian steel was all that was necessary for the NK plot.

Coldhands is half white walker and half human but his consciousness and ethics seem human, helping bran to get to the tree beyond the wall. Aka benjen stark in the show.

If the show now turned bran into NK2.0 then that would be quite a deviation from what we expect in the books.
Here's another theory on the NK/Bran storyline: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entert...ark-lord-of-light-jon-snow-fire-wight-theory/

I think that vastly overstates Bran’s ability to control his powers. He’s still learning. He wasn’t even a 3ER the first few times Beric was reanimated. He’d barely got to the Weirwood beyond the wall when Jon died, and the old 3ER is still alive. You can’t warg people, it messes them up badly even when you aren’t simultaneously having a time warp vision. Bran also doesn’t have any apparent ability to control life force, create shadow babies that sap life force or use king’s blood.

They don’t really provide any evidence for it other than “imagine if he was” and then a load of examples that fuel confirmation bias.

I think a lot of people try to reduce the many religions of planetos into yin and yang, but I don’t think it works that way.

Yes.

I think that vastly overstates Bran’s ability to control his powers. He’s still learning. He wasn’t even a 3ER the first few times Beric was reanimated. He’d barely got to the Weirwood beyond the wall when Jon died, and the old 3ER is still alive. You can’t warg people, it messes them up badly even when you aren’t simultaneously having a time warp vision. Bran also doesn’t have any apparent ability to control life force, create shadow babies that sap life force or use king’s blood.

They don’t really provide any evidence for it other than “imagine if he was” and then a load of examples that fuel confirmation bias.

I think a lot of people try to reduce the many religions of planetos into yin and yang, but I don’t think it works that way.
I think a lot of the appeal of GOT is the discussion about what will happen next. Some people propose theories and others knock them down. Some do both - multiple contradictory theories and counter-theories. None of these positions, whether based on the books or the series or both, has any basis in logic. It's just fun.

I think a lot of the appeal of GOT is the discussion about what will happen next. Some people propose theories and others knock them down. Some do both - multiple contradictory theories and counter-theories. None of these positions, whether based on the books or the series or both, has any basis in logic. It's just fun.
Lol well the good theories are logical.. R+L=J for example was a ripper that the show has now confirmed :)

Otherwise you get bran is the ice dragon mist theory which is hilarious but... I mean I personally don’t value it 🤷‍♀️

Lol well the good theories are logical.. R+L=J for example was a ripper that the show has now confirmed :)

Otherwise you get bran is the ice dragon mist theory which is hilarious but... I mean I personally don’t value it 🤷‍♀️
a good theory about GOT (eg R+L+J) is a well told fantasy story, not logic.

Haven't seen any of the new season and haven't read any real spoilers on here. Organised for a mate to put the first three eps on a USB for my wife and I last night. Got the kids to bed, sent them off to sleep, grabbed associated snacks and drinks, placed the USB into the TV, parked our arses on the couch and made ourselves comfy, turn over channel to input and.................................nothing.

The jerk deleted everything on the USB and forgot to put the episodes on.

tenor.png

Haven't seen any of the new season and haven't read any real spoilers on here. Organised for a mate to put the first three eps on a USB for my wife and I last night. Got the kids to bed, sent them off to sleep, grabbed associated snacks and drinks, placed the USB into the TV, parked our arses on the couch and made ourselves comfy, turn over channel to input and.................................nothing.

The jerk deleted everything on the USB and forgot to put the episodes on.

View attachment 665391
Bonus points for the Coco reference, what a movie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back