Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not actually in NK yet, these are just a chain set up through Asia to funnel foreign currency to the regime. Staffed by these beautiful, incredibly-talented Korean girls, all of whom are essentially prisoners and just looked so crushingly sad whenever they weren't on stage dazzling the s**t out of us with bizarre NK rock and roll.

Strangiojune6p-thumb-600x300-53106.jpg

smoke on the water? classical gas?

or NK wiggles?

Where art thou, fodzilla?
Hit China this week. Two brief observations:
- I accidentally ordered pig's a-hole today. Tasted like a pig's a-hole.
- I've thought for a long time that electric scooters would make a lot more sense than a Prius/etc from a sustainable transportation point of view. China has them, and as a pedestrian they are terrifying, silent death on wheels.

smoke on the water? classical gas?

or NK wiggles?
Eurovision meets Asian karaoke, maybe.

cheap flights getting around right now!!!

under $1700 for our family of 4 return to either Japan or Fiji.

tough call, Japan would be a head F**k with a 1 and 2 year old, but its the ideal place we want to go to, Fiji has child minders free.. hmmm

decisions decisions

Flights are probably cheap because everyone is scared shitless of flying :\

i scared of flying anyway!

this weeks happenings hasnt made it any better or worse :)

can anyone actually say they sit there and feel a bump or hear a noise and they dont get a sweaty palm or quick look at the wing to see that its still attached?

i dont believe ppl who say they are not scared of flying, surley its normal, you are in a place where if the machine packs it in you dont survive, your natural survivil instincts alone should be twitching at the thought.

can anyone actually say they sit there and feel a bump or hear a noise and they dont get a sweaty palm or quick look at the wing to see that its still attached?

i dont believe ppl who say they are not scared of flying, surley its normal, you are in a place where if the machine packs it in you dont survive, your natural survivil instincts alone should be twitching at the thought.

Funnily enough, I don't think like this at all when flying. When we've hit major turbulence I've been a bit uncomfortable but I wouldn't say scared, though my wife did scare me when this happened as it seemed she'd squeeze the hand off my arm in the same manner you squeeze a ball of playdoh off the end of a big blob.

I feel more in danger at sea, though I love being out there. The first thing that goes wrong on a boat gets my adrenaline rushing.... then I realise we only need to change the fuel tank or something else that's trivial.

I have done quite a few hours towards my private pilots licence and that has eased any concerns about flying for me. I now understand a lot more about flight and the principals behind it... A large plane is very VERY safe, especially planes that fly into and out of Australia.

i figure its fairly basic, the air rushes under the wing , hits the flaps and pushes the plane up, the turbine spins sucking air though it pulling the plane along. (is that it?) So its only really a turbine that needs to keep spinning, no pistions and moving parts involved, not much that can go wrong...

i guess im aware of it because my dad is/was a mechanic for qantas, he is responsible for fixing those engines... ive seen him when the car breaks down, he looks under the bonnet clueless, hits stuff with a hammer, jiggles cables... thats what we trusting our life to!

my pa was a pliot also, he used to fly me around in his cessna swigging from a bottle of scotch.. stay classy pa! i somehow feel more comfortable in small planes cause you can really feel the uplift and thrust. When he died he wanted to be scattered over essendon airport, we went up, he was in a plastic container with a hose, we opened the window ready to put him out but the ash all just sucked back into the plane, poor guy didnt wanna leave :p was like soemthing from the big lebowski haha

i spose in the plane i take my cues from the hostesses, if we hit a bumpy patch i look at them, if they are laughing and making tea im ok.. if they are scared and strapping in... the sweaty palms arrive!

The worst we had was on a flight from Edinburgh, as we take off the pilot goes "if you like rock and roll, your gunna love this flight!" i was never really a fan of rock and roll...

it was bumpy all the way we were swishing from side to side, as we were coming into land i was looking out the window hoping for the ground to come quickly, we were getting close then this huge gust pushes us and we rotate like 45 degrees... i guess i only noted it cause i could see the ground level but if we were any lower, or about to touch down wed be cactus! as that happened there was a huge bump and the baggage comparments all shuddered and the lights went off then on. a bit scarey but i guess if thats the worst ive had we have had it pretty lucky!

im a bit with you there pweter on the boat, its pretty lonley and foreboding out in the open ocean, if im gunna die id prefer a quick plane death than bobbing up and down in the sea waiting to drown... all those details of people swinning 3 days? nup, id have 30 mins i reckon, rubbish swimmer! when i was a kid i used to cry during the black stallion when he was in the water and you could see that huge propellor getting ready to sink.. scared me big time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without trying to get too technical it is actually about the air pressure difference created by air flowing over a wing and under it. The thrust is actually from propulsion, not pulling, that is that the plane moves by being pushed by the large jet engines (the air coming out the back of the engine).

One of the scarier landings I have actually been in was one very recently to Perth of all places. I think the choice of runways was limited from works going on at the airport. There was a fair amount of cross wind for this landing and I remember coming in on a pretty sharp angle compared to the centre line of the runway. I knew the pilot had it all under control but it must have been tough for him, basically he needed to land the back left wheels first then swing the plane to the left from there.

I can't say it bothers me. I think a lot of is an individual's particular response to helplessness. The way I see it, if something goes wrong I'm pretty much 100% ****ed, so why worry? A sort of philosophical resignation is easier on the nerves and means I can get some sleep.

Of course, I understand that the same insight can have the opposite result - if you're ****ed if something goes wrong, why wouldn't you worry about that from takeoff to touchdown? My partner is like that, but I guess it's just not me.

cheers scezza, i was close but miles away!

Fodzilla, its weird, its not even a rational fear, i guess if you think about it you are 100 more times more lilkey to die in a car crash but we dont sit in a car fretting! I guess its just knowing you can get out and walk rather than plummet to your death.

Yeah, going on the really open sea is a much scarier, and more dangerous, prospect.

My experience of said open sea is only crossing Bass Strait a couple of times on the Spirit, and it can be pretty damn choppy at times. One of the trips over we hit a force 8 storm, which wasn't exactly pleasant.

I'd absolutely love to go to Antarctica but that generally involves crossing the Drake Passage from the bottom of South America, and, well...it is reputed by basically all as being the roughest stretch of sea in the world. And that's without even taking into account the icebergs...

Southern Ocean in general is just wild. Anyone here been to the west coast of Tasmania? The waves at Strahan beach were something else. Definitely the roughest beach I've ever seen.

i remember being in Strahan looking out from that beach and feeling like the lonlienst person on earth, felt like we were miles from any sort of civilisation! You pretty much are, in the lonliest corner of the world there i reckon.

Re: the flying thing, i've flown like 200 plus times, if it was a problem im sure i wouldnt be a traveller, it just needles at me slightly, i just figured it was my inbuilt survival skills kicking in. Then ill go and watch air crash investigation to make it worse (why?)

I always figured thats why they served food on the plane, takes your mind off whatever you are feeling and settles you in food = comfort.

just on travel tv, anyone ever watched banged up abroad? when we had fox we watched it straight thru, pretty much every episode one after the other for 3 season. Love that show!

i remember being in Strahan looking out from that beach and feeling like the lonlienst person on earth, felt like we were miles from any sort of civilisation! You pretty much are, in the lonliest corner of the world there i reckon.

Re: the flying thing, i've flown like 200 plus times, if it was a problem im sure i wouldnt be a traveller, it just needles at me slightly, i just figured it was my inbuilt survival skills kicking in. Then ill go and watch air crash investigation to make it worse (why?)

I always figured thats why they served food on the plane, takes your mind off whatever you are feeling and settles you in food = comfort.

just on travel tv, anyone ever watched banged up abroad? when we had fox we watched it straight thru, pretty much every episode one after the other for 3 season. Love that show!

Imagine how the prisoners on Sarah Island would've felt? A tiny island just inside Hells Gates.... Hells Gates gives you an idea of the place too. Rough as guts, both from an ocean/weather perspective as well as what the population in the area would've been like in the early 1800s.

We went on a Franklin River cruise out of Strahan when I was about 13. Was a very smooth ride until they did a U turn at Hells gates where it went very lumpy very quickly, then calmed right off when back in the bay. The cruise across to the river was fine, up the river obviously fine, then a storm blew up on the way back. The bay was very rough and plenty of people went very green around the gills very quickly. I'm assuming what we encountered was small scale compared to what the locals would experience.

so wheres the plane? any wild theories?

hijack, crash, other?

seems weird for there not to be a speck of wreckage anywhere to be found. and the fact the passengers phones still have ring tones is odd...

they are saying it was a deliberate manouver to fly under radar and switch of trackers but wheres the kicker? all this for what? are they on an island waiting to make demands? If its suicide why go to all that trouble?

is the plane in a chop shop in afganistan being rebadged to air afghan?

is wesley snipes here to help?

im so curious, as im sure the world is.

I suspect, sadly, that it is at about a depth of about 6km down in the Indian Ocean by now.

If it were on land and as yet undetected, where, really, could that be? Given the available fuel, the only possible area, I suppose, would be somewhere in Central Asia- in the Afghanistan/Tajikistan area, perhaps. Indonesia seems unlikely because it is so densely populated- surely it would have been seen by now.

Nah, in the drink is much more likely.

but surely something floats!

a chair, a cushion, a hat, some foam, the life jackets, something!

it cant have just dont a perfect pin drop for a 10.0
Sure, but ocean currents can carry things a long way in a relatively short time.

For all we know debris could be floating somewhere in sub-Antarctic waters, depending on how far south it got. If it did indeed completely turn around to the south.

It could be anywhere, seriously 4000km radius from where it was last detected.

Very sad due to us never going to know the truth, as it is good as gone and as said earlier on likely sitting on the bottom of the ocean.

Thing is people get so worked up over it, like it was the only flight in the world on that day due to the reporting of it however you have so many flights everyday flying that something like this gets magnified.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back