FTA-TV The Leftovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow they pack a lot into most episodes. Other then the first 20mins [the caveman stuff] of the first episode i loved this more then the first season. I think the Hotel one might of been the best. and the music in the hotel episode and the scene again today i love.

Ill be pissed if it doesnt get a 3rd season, i just hope if it does its not like a repeat of the first season with all the GR stuff and they use them in a new way. I think it did more this season to deserve another one then the first season did.

Wow they pack a lot into most episodes. Other then the first 20mins [the caveman stuff] of the first episode i loved this more then the first season. I think the Hotel one might of been the best. and the music in the hotel episode and the scene again today i love.

Ill be pissed if it doesnt get a 3rd season, i just hope if it does its not like a repeat of the first season with all the GR stuff and they use them in a new way. I think it did more this season to deserve another one then the first season did.

the GR appear to be evolving through Meg. Theyre talking now and are much more aggressive, hopefully they can harness than and use it well in another season

10 out of ******* 10.

The pan across the room - legit teared up. Could of gone so many different ways, that was the most beautiful. My God at Homeward Bound (laughed out at seeing Don't Stop Believing on the Wheel). Theroux was probably overlooked last season because of Coon and Eccleston stealing the show, but he was a tour de force this season. International Assassin, this. Amazing.

So many other great moments. Michael at the Church. Jill's indignation at Laurie. Matt's smile at Mary. Erika's pleading with Evie. * it, everything. There isn't a bad moment here.

What a season of television. Rank it alongside the absolute pinnacle with The Wire S4, FNL/Sopranos S1. If you want to call it the best season of a television show ever, I'm not going to stop you.

I'm sure a lot of this was tongue in cheek but been reading the post-season interviews with Lindelof and Theroux. Both of them drop these hypotheticals on where season 3 might go, which would be incredibly unlikely, but made me sit up and laugh because man, how else can you react to that.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/features/leftovers-finale-season-3-damon-lindelof-1201654462/
Moving the show to Jarden and adding the new characters changed up the show in a lot of great ways. Do you foresee it moving again next season and having a different setting because that injection of new elements was so successful?

There’s a part of me that’s like, “Well, it worked once. Let’s do it again! Let’s go to Australia.” There’s another part of me that’s basically like, “You can’t do the same trick twice.” A magician never does the same trick again, because you’ll be much less amazed, and because when you know the outcome of the trick, you watch to see how they did it.

Do you think the show might really journey to Australia, which has come up a few times in the show and which you mentioned in our conversation? I’m just wondering if you’re leaning toward broadening the show out from Jarden somewhat while still having a lot of the story and a bunch of major characters based there.

This is a very insightful question. I hear Australia is awesome.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...leftovers-finale/419040/?utm_source=SFTwitter

Kornhaber: All season long there were breadcrumbs dropped about Australia, and eventually I thought we’d get there. When you see things in the script that don’t ever get answered do you think the screenwriters are laying plot elements for the future, or do you ever suspect they’re just trying to * with us?

Theroux: I definitely don’t think it’s to * with you. When you’re building a house you want to put outlets in as many places as possible so if you need to plug something in, you can plug it in. So I think it’s fun gristle to chew on, to go, “Oh, are they going to go to Australia next season?” I will say I don’t think Damon would have planted those seeds if he didn’t, at least in his creative mind, know he could go there. TV shows work with budgets, the actors that are on them have lives, and so in a perfect world maybe he would go to Australia but I don’t think he has decided that and I don’t think he feels compelled to do that. Sometimes a cigar is a cigar, sometimes it’s Australia.

Solid enough finale I guess, preferred the season 1 Mapleton riot. Was kinda expecting more after the build up last week, the GR member writing 'she's going to change EVERYTHING' etc. Some classic 'Leftover-isms' that you just had to go with too, namely;

- Timeline for the girls seeing Kevin at the lake made no sense whatsoever - he was supposed to go to sleep, sleepwalk over to Virgil's, get the info re: getting rid of Patty and walk to the lake. No chance of seeing the girls unless they spent 4 hours doing something else on their drive to the lake that we weren't shown

- I get that its a national park but come on now, it's still a town of nearly 10,000 people where the hell are the police? And not even park rangers would be dumb enough to leave John and Kevin alone together just after finding out the print was his.

Still, pretty amazing season of television overall. Doubt we'll get another season unfortunately, that last shot felt like as happy an ending as you could hope to get on this show.

- Timeline for the girls seeing Kevin at the lake made no sense whatsoever - he was supposed to go to sleep, sleepwalk over to Virgil's, get the info re: getting rid of Patty and walk to the lake. No chance of seeing the girls unless they spent 4 hours doing something else on their drive to the lake that we weren't shown

yeah, that kinda irked me too.

That was probably the only thing where I went wait what? Haven't read an explanation for it, but I didn't linger on it. The way the girls just looked at him and went on their way just hooked me.

There's certainly some narrative leeways, nothing that I think distracts from the actual story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what was the baby snatching about?

I haven't really worked that out but in the first episode the cavebaby cheats death when mum has to go pee, then was abandoned when mum dies & then cheated death again when rescued by a cavewoman - here the hippy abandons the baby in the middle of a minor stampede & she also cheats death when Nora rescues her (again). What that might mean I have nfi.

edit, I guess there's another link there to Kevin, as he cheated death, three times though.

I have mixed feelings about the finale at this point, it was still a great episode on many levels, but if this isn't renewed for a third season, there's still way too much that needs explaining. I'm happy for Kevin, poor bastard has been put through the ringer, but why him? Why the miracle earthquake to save him from drowning? Plus another 50 or so questions, maybe there's some clues in there I haven't picked up on as yet.

One things for sure, this will make a great binge watch over xmas when Ive had enough of all the relies;)

Last edited:
I haven't really worked that out but in the first episode the cavebaby cheats death when mum has to go pee, then was abandoned when mum dies & then cheated death again when rescued by a cavewoman - here the hippy abandons the baby in the middle of a minor stampede & she also cheats death when Nora rescues her (again). What that might mean I have nfi.

Reckon you are on the right track. The hippy who took the baby is listed as 'Snake Woman' in the credits. So she represents the same evil threat to baby Lily as the snake did to cave baby in Ep 1. Didn't the cave mum bash the crap out of the snake? They've hinted that Nora might be a lens eg smashes the radio "fix that Jesus" - nek minute an earthquake and the preacher's missus wakes up. Could Nora have somehow "disappeared" the baby stealing hippy?

Bewdy - if what I read the other day about the audience numbers was correct, HBO needs a giant pat on the back here.

edit, found them -
S1 average 1.6 mil viewers
S2 average 0.7 mil viewers

Compare that to something like the cancelled Hannibal which S3 numbers averaged 1.31 mil & it looks like The Leftovers lovers are one lucky bunch.

Last edited:
If those viewing numbers are accurate, this has to be the most criminally underrated show of all time.

Yep, and nothing as far as golden globes for that amazing 2nd season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back