FTA-TV The Leftovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Bewdy - if what I read the other day about the audience numbers was correct, HBO needs a giant pat on the back here.

edit, found them -
S1 average 1.6 mil viewers
S2 average 0.7 mil viewers

Compare that to something like the cancelled Hannibal which S3 numbers averaged 1.31 mil & it looks like The Leftovers lovers are one lucky bunch.

Treme lasted 4 years with smaller numbers and they have given Girls like 5 seasons now and only the first was any good, HBO dont care about ratings this should be looked at in viewers against a show like the Knick. and comparing it to a show on a free OTA channel is dumb, the amount of homes NBC is in against the amount HBO is in is huge, one is free and the other is a monthly sub ontop of a cable provider.

Glad it got a new season, and nice they said 3rd and final so they wont have a bunch of unanswered questions. They can tie most of the stuff up that they want to.

If those viewing numbers are accurate, this has to be the most criminally underrated show of all time.
Sadly it is close to real numbers, the hotel episode "International Assassin" was out rated in its time slow by a repeat of some Law & Order SVU show on the USA network.

Treme lasted 4 years with smaller numbers and they have given Girls like 5 seasons now and only the first was any good, HBO dont care about ratings this should be looked at in viewers against a show like the Knick. and comparing it to a show on a free OTA channel is dumb, the amount of homes NBC is in against the amount HBO is in is huge, one is free and the other is a monthly sub ontop of a cable provider.

You fail to recongnise that a show like Treme, while hardly a ratings hit, had steady viewer numbers across it's 3 seasons in excess of .5mil - the arse has literally dropped out of The Leftovers numbers in season 2. The Knick numbers are worse than TL but again, are steady week by week & premiering on a different provider (Cinemax) almost certainly renders any comparisons pointless.

I did have a brain fade with Hannibal forgetting it was on FTA, my bad, but as for ludicrous statements like "HBO don't care about ratings", lol dude if your going to get salty on the M&E board at least don't talk rubbish. Any producer that has ever committed to any project cares about ratings. The extent to which they care may vary, certain creators might get a pass (eg Simon with Treme, Gilligan with BCSaul & probably Lindelof with Leftovers), but producers still want people watching & talking about their shows & as I see it the only difference between HBO & many others is that, luckily for us, they are willing to take a risk.

You fail to recongnise that a show like Treme, while hardly a ratings hit, had steady viewer numbers across it's 3 seasons in excess of .5mil - the arse has literally dropped out of The Leftovers numbers in season 2. The Knick numbers are worse than TL but again, are steady week by week & premiering on a different provider (Cinemax) almost certainly renders any comparisons pointless.

I did have a brain fade with Hannibal forgetting it was on FTA, my bad, but as for ludicrous statements like "HBO don't care about ratings", lol dude if your going to get salty on the M&E board at least don't talk rubbish. Any producer that has ever committed to any project cares about ratings. The extent to which they care may vary, certain creators might get a pass (eg Simon with Treme, Gilligan with BCSaul & probably Lindelof with Leftovers), but producers still want people watching & talking about their shows & as I see it the only difference between HBO & many others is that, luckily for us, they are willing to take a risk.

But HBO dont care about ratings they will give out a new season if it can keep steady viewer numbers. They dont need ratings because they dont have to sell ad time. the final episode had 150k more viewers then the Affair had, and had more most weeks. the leftovers had steady numbers all season and went up 10% or more each of the last 3 weeks. Just because they had a big drop from the first season doesnt mean its doomed as long as they can keep the week to week viewers. And all those numbers dont include streaming services like HBOGO or HBO Now and International viewers.

The HBO Dont care about ratings line came from the AV club, and if anything over the years HBO have given out heaps of shows extra seasons with low viewer numbers but had vocal fans on social media and watched it weekly. I dont know where you got the Salty thing from all the shows i listed before i watch. Most of the time HBO will give out a final season for its shows even if they lost a heap of viewers from the past season, look at shows like the Newsroom, True Blood, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound and Down and Banshee. The exception seems to be 30-min Comedys like How to make it in America, Hung, Bored to Death.

Sorry but the notion they dont care about ratings is a nonsense. If people dont want to watch they cancel & move elsewhere, subs are lost, profits drop. HBO have lead the way & taken huge risks but also been financially rewarded for it in a big way. Of course they care, they all do.

Awesome news! Really didn't think that would happen.

Glad it got a new season, and nice they said 3rd and final so they wont have a bunch of unanswered questions.

Hahaha. Sorry, not laughing at you but rest assured there will literally be a moutain of unanswered questions. Lindelof knows no other way.

Sorry but the notion they dont care about ratings is a nonsense. If people dont want to watch they cancel & move elsewhere, subs are lost, profits drop. HBO have lead the way & taken huge risks but also been financially rewarded for it in a big way. Of course they care, they all do.

Fine then, let me re-word it, HBO care much more about shows keeping steady viewing numbers and being talked about in positive ways/ reviews then they do about having high ratings

Hahaha. Sorry, not laughing at you but rest assured there will literally be a moutain of unanswered questions. Lindelof knows no other way.

They will answer some of the current questions, but wont answer what caused the 2% to vanish or where they went. but it wont finish like this season with the GR invading and taking over the one "Untouched" place.

They will answer some of the current questions, but wont answer what caused the 2% to vanish or where they went. but it wont finish like this season with the GR invading and taking over the one "Untouched" place.

Not sure what you're basing that on given the show's 2 season history, yep they've already said they won't explain the departure which is fine - its all the other little things that I struggle with sometimes. The national geographic mag and dean the dog shooter would be just 2 examples from season 1, betcha they're never even referenced again.

So I have avoided reading anything ^.

A friend says this is worth watching....should I bother?

I rate LOST as one of my faves of all time.

Barely a bad word said about this show ITT. renewed for a third season.

Reckon you'll love the first season.

Will be interesting to see the new Carlton Cuse show this month and see how the other half goes with providing answers in a show...

Last edited:

Can be slow at times, but other eps are like "BOOM! WTF? JEEBUS CRIPS! Like srsly! I love this show!!!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished S2E01. So many questions already... haha.

Be good to keep a lot of those questions at bay.

Season 1 can be decisive though, because it is bleak and depressing as all hell. You could either really love it or really hate it. But if it's the latter, definitely persist with s2. Still a bleak show, just more accessible and even better (which I still find mind boggling).

Season 2 is awesome. It has some flat episodes but finishes brilliantly. There's some really great episodes in there. I like how they don;t try to explain everything too.

Goddamn what a show! I really, really struggled with the early eps of season 1 but so glad I stuck with it.

It can go a number of directions from here. They aren't gonna answer why the disappearance happened but I like how they're exploring why at least a bit (Nora being a lens? The geographical anomalies), and touching on the supernatural stuff - the palm reader psychic etc.

Love that John finally likes Kevin. A simple statement but bloody hell that was powerful that last ep.

The international assassin Ep was one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen, top 5 alongside likes of Ozymandias.

One thing (amongst many) that intrigued me was the doc investigating Nora, and subsequent phonecalls from his colleague. Just seemed like a heck of a lot of airtime to be spent on "there's lots of wackos out there curious about Nora's case", before she laughed it off.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think there's more to this, and reckon they'll explore the demon inside her angle more thoroughly next season.......

So Kevin is going to find his dad, because Kevin sr was in Perth when they were talking in International Assassin.

I wonder how long they will spend in Miracle, Texas after how the season ended.

I just finished rewatching S1 and going to start S2 again over the weekend. You pick up some more of the little things when rewatching.
Wish more people watched the show, or didnt give up in season 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back