The Leppitsch coaching thread, under the pump?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know **** all about footy? Elaborate on that please and make a strong argument on why leppitsch is a good coach, otherwise I'll see it as you conceding defeat on this...

Pretty sure it's plain for everyone to see Brisbane are playing s**t. Doesn't take an expert. The parallels to Primus are distinctive though. He needs more support and more investment in the footy department.

I don't believe Leppa has been doing a good job, I think he's really struggled and I agree we are playing some of the worst footy you're likely to see.

Agreed, especially after trading draft picks and Crisp for Beams when they should have traded Aish and or targeted tall targets in the draft...

it's the lack of key forwards that's there second biggest problem behind a poor game plan, third is not learning from the Polec situation and retaining Aish, the constant scrutiny over this issue is kind of awkward for all concerned. ..
How the @€£$ were we supposed to target key forwards greedy $#!+$ like Collingwood wanted too much for Beams

Last edited:

They started last year terribly as well. Remember the talk of not winning a game all season and heavy spoon favourites. Then finished the year playing great footy.

Strange when you think the heat up their might give them an early season advantage. And young players often do well early before hitting the wall.

Rockliff out (then clearly not at his best) and Hanley out are big shoes to fill. Equal if not more than Richmond complaining about no Deledio and Chaplin.

I certainly thought Leppa was great towards the end of last year, so I can't come out against him now, but I'm intrigued by how poorly they are travelling

He did some very good work as the backline coach for Richmond (conceded the 3rd fewest points in 2013 before he left). He oversaw much of Alex Rance's development too. He wasn't plucked out of thin air.
Coaching in a good to mediocre tigers team for a while is as out of thin air as you can get at AFL level.

They started last year terribly as well. Remember the talk of not winning a game all season and heavy spoon favourites. Then finished the year playing great footy.

Strange when you think the heat up their might give them an early season advantage. And young players often do well early before hitting the wall.

Rockliff out (then clearly not at his best) and Hanley out are big shoes to fill. Equal if not more than Richmond complaining about no Deledio and Chaplin.

I certainly thought Leppa was great towards the end of last year, so I can't come out against him now, but I'm intrigued by how poorly they are travelling

I thought leppitsch tweeting last year showed a lack of maturity...

not to mention not recognizing brisbanes history of not being able to retain players... and he also would have known at the time aish wanting out... poor form...

Why the hell they replaced a former legend of the club with no coaching experience with another former legend of the club with limited assistant experience is beyond me. The Lions need to bring in someone from the outside to shake them up a bit. They should go for the best assistant around with sound tactical nous as I really believe that Voss and Leppa, as great as they were as players, simply lack the particular type of footy IQ needed to see the game well as a coach.

Why the hell they replaced a former legend of the club with no coaching experience with another former legend of the club with limited assistant experience is beyond me. The Lions need to bring in someone from the outside to shake them up a bit. They should go for the best assistant around with sound tactical nous as I really believe that Voss and Leppa, as great as they were as players, simply lack the particular type of footy IQ needed to see the game well as a coach.
And who do you suggest we get genius. I for 1 am standing by Leppitch get some muture players this year even if we trade pick 1 for a key forward

you say I know **** all about footy then you basically agree with my sentiments lol...

1. What could make you think he misjudged the premiership clock? All signs out of the club are that we are at the start of a long rebuild.

2. Who says we haven't addressed our tall forwards problems? They're extremely hard to trade for (look what the Bulldogs had to do) and we've drafted several in the last few years.

3. What makes you think we are keeping Aish against his will or that he had any interest to leave last year or that the club didn't think they were a chance to keep him?

4. Not learning from the Polec trade? We'd have an extremely small group of players to choose from if we only chose from the players we knew would stay at the Lions. We have to back ourselves in to provide the right environment and retain them as we did with the other 5 we drafted from interstate that year. We can't just leave guys like Polec to the Adelaide clubs.

Say something that actually requires some knowledge of the club instead of just looking at the ladder and questioning the coach and I'll admit that you may know something about the Lions.

Leppa I have to question few drafting decisions

James Aish at 7, knowing he would have higher than normal chance to wanting to go back home, should have drafted McCarthy, really lacking in this department. Parting with Picks 5, 21, 25 & Jack Crisp also questionable

Is he safe? Yes. Lions won't sack 2 former club champions, no chance of that happening

And who do you suggest we get genius. I for 1 am standing by Leppitch get some muture players this year even if we trade pick 1 for a key forward

Pretty much any assistant who has done a proper apprenticeship. The AFL is such a boys club. Blokes like Hinkley who had gone for a load of jobs and been overlooked so many times are a great example. Look at Luke Beveridge, hardly the sexiest choice and not the greatest playing career but had done a solid apprenticeship and finished it off at the Hawks. You also have the likes of Leigh Tudor, Stuart Dew, Bolton from Hawthorn... that's just off the top of my head. Doesn't take a "genius" to work that out. The Lions have been seduced by their former star players for too long and need a coach with a fresh outlook, point of view and tactical mindset and they will be fine as star players do not often make star coaches.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leppa I have to question few drafting decisions

James Aish at 7, knowing he would have higher than normal chance to wanting to go back home, should have drafted McCarthy, really lacking in this department. Parting with Picks 5, 21, 25 & Jack Crisp also questionable

Is he safe? Yes. Lions won't sack 2 former club champions, no chance of that happening
McCarthy wasn't even rated a top 10 pick as for trading our picks last year it was Collingwood being greedy little piggies

McCarthy wasn't even rated a top 10 pick as for trading our picks last year it was Collingwood's being greedy little piggies

Lewis Taylor was rated a top10 player but slipped to 2nd round. Players rise and slip all the time

I still feel Lions should have had a crack at McCarthy, just my opinion. I still believe Lions should have waited on both Christiensen & Beams and kept the picks, again my opinion and can't blame Pies for waiting top dollar on Beams

Lewis Taylor was rated a top10 player but slipped to 2nd round. Players rise and slip all the time

I still feel Lions should have had a crack at McCarthy, just my opinion. I still believe Lions should have waited on both Christiensen & Beams and kept the picks, again my opinion and can't blame Pies for waiting top dollar on Beams
Cripps has suddenly turned from a pretty decent plodder to a superstar but you can't attack Brisbane for not drafting McCarthy unless you attack Carlton as well. Not whilst Liam Jones is in your team anyway.

Pretty much any assistant who has done a proper apprenticeship. The AFL is such a boys club. Blokes like Hinkley who had gone for a load of jobs and been overlooked so many times are a great example. Look at Luke Beveridge, hardly the sexiest choice and not the greatest playing career but had done a solid apprenticeship and finished it off at the Hawks. You also have the likes of Leigh Tudor, Stuart Dew, Bolton from Hawthorn... that's just off the top of my head. Doesn't take a "genius" to work that out. The Lions have been seduced by their former star players for too long and need a coach with a fresh outlook, point of view and tactical mindset and they will be fine as star players do not often make star coaches.
Then Why hasn't Luke Tudor gotten a coaching job if he's such great candidate

McCarthy wasn't even rated a top 10 pick as for trading our picks last year it was Collingwood being greedy little piggies

Forgive us for trying to secure good compensation for an All-Australian, Copeland trophy winning, premiership player who is a goal-kicking midfielder and about to enter his prime as a 24 year old.

And you gave us bugger all players to ask for because they were all untouchable.

Why should Collingwood accept a lesser deal just so you can add further talent to your squad? Absolutely childish and ridiculous.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But who knows if we'd drafted McCarthy he might have decided he wanted to go home to Freo at the end of the year and we'd be lucky to get pick 15 while Aish might actually stay at the Lions and become our best midfielder.

We didn't need those picks on the weekend we had 6 players in the first two years of their career. We have 10 drafted from the 2012 and 2013 drafts that could be long term prospects adding one or two more wouldn't do much when we already have a massive lack of experience in our best 22.

Then Why hasn't Luke Tudor gotten a coaching job if he's such great candidate

Because people/board members get seduced by star players that's why. It isn't just Tudor I'm talking about: Hinkley was overlooked for many as well. Clarkson is starting to make people in the footy industry realise that teaching is the most important part of being a coach and that doesn't necessarily come with having been an amazing player: especially in modern AFL where tactics are becoming more complex than ever.

Cripps has suddenly turned from a pretty decent plodder to a superstar but you can't attack Brisbane for not drafting McCarthy unless you attack Carlton as well. Not whilst Liam Jones is in your team anyway.

Blues could of had McCarthy as well. If we hadn't got Daisy via free agency would have got compo pick for Betts, probs be pick 14 which McCarthy still available. But look Daisy been good since arriving and hopefully comes back strong 2nd half of the year

But number of teams could of got McCarthy even Demons but made more sense for Lions to go for him. Jones is ok, still playing his role, needs time but overall doing ok

Because people/board members get seduced by star players that's why. It isn't just Tudor I'm talking about: Hinkley was overlooked for many as well.

I'd class Hinkley as a very good player and borderline star in his day - two-time All-Australian (1991, 1992), a club B&F (1992), and finished third in the 1992 Brownlow Medal count. Didn't have an extremely long career though, but no doubt was a quality player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back