The Leppitsch coaching thread, under the pump?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blues could of had McCarthy as well. If we hadn't got Daisy via free agency would have got compo pick for Betts, probs be pick 14 which McCarthy still available. But look Daisy been good since arriving and hopefully comes back strong 2nd half of the year

But number of teams could of got McCarthy even Demons but made more sense for Lions to go for him. Jones is ok, still playing his role, needs time but overall doing ok
Oh Gillo. You crack me up.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But who knows if we'd drafted McCarthy he might have decided he wanted to go home to Freo at the end of the year and we'd be lucky to get pick 15 while Aish might actually stay at the Lions and become our best midfielder.

We didn't need those picks on the weekend we had 6 players in the first two years of their career. We have 10 drafted from the 2012 and 2013 drafts that could be long term prospects adding one or two more wouldn't do much when we already have a massive lack of experience in our best 22.

I think Lions should have traded Aish for Beams, least would have the issue resolved and no doubt Pies would have accepted. Trade Crisp for Christiensen

Keep 5 & 25. Got Beams & Christiensen and not have to worry about 2 guys not wanting to be at the club

Leppa I have to question few drafting decisions

James Aish at 7, knowing he would have higher than normal chance to wanting to go back home, should have drafted McCarthy, really lacking in this department. Parting with Picks 5, 21, 25 & Jack Crisp also questionable

Is he safe? Yes. Lions won't sack 2 former club champions, no chance of that happening
Parting with a few kids (draft picks) with which we already have kids galore for a top 20 AFL player and a future A grader? Seems like a good trade to me.

Blues could of had McCarthy as well. If we hadn't got Daisy via free agency would have got compo pick for Betts, probs be pick 14 which McCarthy still available. But look Daisy been good since arriving and hopefully comes back strong 2nd half of the year

But number of teams could of got McCarthy even Demons but made more sense for Lions to go for him. Jones is ok, still playing his role, needs time but overall doing ok

Have I missed something?

Leppa I have to question few drafting decisions

James Aish at 7, knowing he would have higher than normal chance to wanting to go back home, should have drafted McCarthy, really lacking in this department. Parting with Picks 5, 21, 25 & Jack Crisp also questionable

Is he safe? Yes. Lions won't sack 2 former club champions, no chance of that happening
Leppa coaches, He doesn't draft

I think Lions should have traded Aish for Beams, least would have the issue resolved and no doubt Pies would have accepted. Trade Crisp for Christiensen

Keep 5 & 25. Got Beams & Christiensen and not have to worry about 2 guys not wanting to be at the club

Hahaha don't think the Lions would have loved to have traded Aish for Beams and Crisp for Christensen? That would have been brilliant.

Pies wouldnt have traded Aish for Beams by itself, they would have demanded pick 5 as well.

There is no way that Geelong would have traded Christensen for Crisp. Crisp was virtually going to get delisted midway through the year before he came into the seniors.

Pies wouldnt have traded Aish for Beams by itself, they would have demanded pick 5 as well.

There is no way that Geelong would have traded Christensen for Crisp. Crisp was virtually going to get delisted midway through the year before he came into the seniors.

Yep.. and given how Aish is travelling now I think we're a fair bit happier with what we did end up getting.

Well in the end, you lot your 2nd best player. You got some decent kids, and we got a top 15/20 player in the league. We are both happy.

Yeah we made the most out of a bad situation. A lot of water to go under the bridge but it looks good so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not until Beams lifts he's game and kicks some Goals then I'll be happy

That's my one observation so far, is that Beams has been playing too far away from goal.. being used more as an inside clearance player than anything. Not saying he isn't good at that, but defensively he's not elite.. his best footy is normally played across half forward rotating through the middle. Rockliff back up and running will help free him up a bit.

I'd class Hinkley as a very good player and borderline star in his day - two-time All-Australian (1991, 1992), a club B&F (1992), and finished third in the 1992 Brownlow Medal count. Didn't have an extremely long career though, but no doubt was a quality player.

Yeah, was a real talent, had freakish skills, an attacking half back before it became fashionable. The thing with him was he went down to Camperdown and got a proper apprenticeship and didn't stick around in the media or in Melbourne living off his career and keeping in with the boys club. His profile suffered of course but he leanred how to coach and teach away from the spotlight. There are many coaches like him out there. If class the likes of Clarkson and Beveridge as the types that are just good coaches but don't have the star playing career either and I really think Brisbane need to search for someone outside their organization with a similar profile.

They need success quick to prove that the two franchises up there are sustainable, when it's becoming increasingly clear that they are not. Firing the coach and getting someone new in is seen as a quick fix.

As far as coaching goes, spot on. Furthermore, at least our coach had a possibly recognisable name to the Brisbane media,somebody with a profile and an attachment to the club. Purely marketing, nothing else.

And yes, agree that the clubs up here aren't sustainable in any sense. A reasonable % of the broadcast rights dollars we help the AFL earn will be poured back into us every year, forever. 28 completed seasons and none of the dreams of the VFL/AFL have come true - membership numbers suck, attendance suck, finances suck, player retention issues continue.

We'll be propped up by the AFL for eternity. Consider this....

The two biggest sporting clubs, from a media exposure and public awareness perspective, are Collingwood and the Brisbane Broncos. And the Broncos are 68% owned by...News Ltd! Which runs the state's only major newspaper!

And whilst AFL House might be the big cheese down Melbourne way, News Ltd have zero to fear from them. They can put us right at the end of the sport section, after rugby league, rugby union, soccer, tennis, cricket, basketball....which they do.

And for all those that care....go have a look at the Broncos' membership numbers....this massive club, yet middle of the road membership numbers despite the success.

So even a club that wins plenty, has a big profile, is the locally preferred game still can't get Brisbanites to part with a few dollars. So how well is an AFL club gonna do I wonder?

The AFL looks more and more to me like just a money making enterprise off the back of the game. Well, when/if our clubs do fold, they'll never be back. So the AFL can be happy in the knowledge they killed the Lions twice.

Lions too much of a push over during last 2 trade seasons. Player exodus & questionable culture

Maybe these 2 scenarios
Beams for Aish & Crisp. I think would have secured the deal leaving Pies satisfied, if Pies still not happy would have told them can keep their pick 65 they put in on the deal, still not happy then tell them to screw themselves, period!

Christiensen for 25, only 4 spot downgrade. In the end these players wanted to go to Brisbane so need take advantage of that.

Agreed, especially after trading draft picks and Crisp for Beams when they should have traded Aish and or targeted tall targets in the draft...

it's the lack of key forwards that's there second biggest problem behind a poor game plan, third is not learning from the Polec situation and retaining Aish, the constant scrutiny over this issue is kind of awkward for all concerned. ..

I don't think you understand the challenges the Lions face in retaining Youth when ~90% it comes from another state.

Simon Black held back on contract talks early in his career, glad we didn't trade him out!

Couldn't have happened to a better mob.
Nice little reality check of having an average list (apart from a decent midfield).
It was hilarious last year when they got Beams off Collingwood and were boasting about playing finals and how they genuinely thought they were going to be something special. Now injuries are the excuse.....but it wasn't an excuse for the Pies last year.
Meanwhile Jack Crisp looks to be one of the finds of this (albeit early) season. I'm sitting back quite comfortable where Bucks and the Pies are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back