The Live Strategy and Content Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I decided to fold.

He shows AJ and was like "i knew you had nothing".

facepalm.jpg

lol... Had that a few times...

One of my favourite ever hands I played I think I had KQo and made a raise and got called in a brazzillion places. (Admittedly I played this hand pretty AIDSy but what can you do)

Flop JTx. I think it checked through, I might have bet, cant remember.

Turn x probably checked through.

River A but front door flush makes it.

I decide to check/raise the one bettor since I think he wouldnt 3b me without a flush, but would pay off with lots of Ax hands.

He insta 3bets me. I think for a bit and fold. He shows AA lol after overcalling as the third in or something.

A pretty basic 2/5 hand just for something to talk about

Villian 1 (UTG1) is first hand at table, he is a semi reg who I think is pretty bad and also fairly tight. Ive only played with him twice I think but hes never really impressed without doing anything insane.

Villian 2 (SB) is a mega fish who mixes his play between 2/5 and 2/3. Has 0 competance.

Hero is on the BTN, stacks are $500 eff with V2 covering all

Villian 1 posts UTG1, and raises to $25, 4 calls to me on the BTN with A:clubs:Q:clubs:. I decide to flat because the table has been pretty aggresive and the chances of a back raise were quite decent, which I thought would put me in a sticky spot. I also though playing the pot in position with an under repped hand on this table is a good thing. I also perceive V2s range to be pretty strong. I do think there are merits for 3betting, but I just decided to flat, thoughts?

SB calls and BB folds, so we are 7 handed to a flop of 3:spades:4:clubs:3:clubs: ($180)
V2 (SB) leads $70, V2 (UTG1) raises to $170 pretty quickly, folds to me...

SBs lead is pretty fishy and could have a huge range, he isnt really thinking ahead to whats going to happen to his raise. I think V2s range now is clearly pretty strong. On this flop now Im wishing I 3bet pre, but this is the spot we are in

Either a shove or fold, whos doing what?

Heres one a touch more interesting

History: Villian is a new face to me but obviously plays a lot. Youngish Asian that fits the stereotype, aggro and spewey, fires multiple streets and loves the raise out of the BB when limped too. He did so once, casually grabbing a handful of chips that turned out to be $75 when 4 people limped to his BB, got folds all round. Had previously shown down hands like 54s, 24 and 95 etc. Open raised in all spots you would expect an aggro to raise but also limped in odd spots. Hadnt ever limp/raised.
Villian has c/raised many times before, had also taken aggro lines with bottom pairs and holdings mentioned above

Hero is UTG2, Villian 1 BB, Villian 2 UTG (old reg/fish)
Eff stacks are $600 with Hero covering.

Hero dealt T:clubs: T:hearts:
UTG limps, Hero raises to $25, Villian 1 calls $25, Villian 2 calls $25

Flop ($77) A:clubs: 2:clubs: 5:diamonds:

V1 checks, V2 checks, Hero bets $55, V1 raises to $150, V2 folds, Hero...

Can we raise/call it off in this spot against this type of villian?

Hand 1 I think is a fold because I am pretty sure that SB can have a 3 a decent amount of the time. While if you get called in 2 spots you probably have the equity to just get it in and gambool, I think a lot of the time you get called in one spot, and will not have the additional 6 outs in overs very often at all. If I knew the SB wouldnt donk with a 3 then I might just stick it in and gambool but I tend to like finding reasons to just get it in.

Hand 2 is weird. Generally against those kind of villians I like checking and then calling turn and re-evaluating the river, but with TT I am more loathe to do it then if I had KK.

----------------------------

Interesting hand yesterday...

Villian in the SB is competant, a very good player, and has started to almost have a null 3bet range against me electing to flat with KK and AA as well as all of his calling ranges. He did flat me once with AA when I had KK and we got the money in on a T high board, and we mutally respect each others game.

Straddle is on by some donkey. I raise K8s in the CO to 35 playing 2/5 with a $10 straddle. Button folds, villian calls from the SB, straddler calls.

FLOP: 885

Villian donks for 75 into 110. Fold from the straddler... Hero?

We are playing 500 effective fwiw...

Hand 1 - probably folding on info given.

Hand 2 - this is a really tricky spot that i'd mostly like to check/call the flop, but against this type of player I may just shove here depending on your perceived image and his propensity to fold Ax.

Hand 3 - I'm raising.

Whats the villians percieved range of yourself? Does he know your capable of opening 89 type hands in this spot? Floating here can be tricky and keep your range wide to alot of PPs and A high hands/draws. Raising can induce a lot more value from his AA-TT hands as well

I think I like to raise with the history involved. Its easy for villian to put you on air with this board but he can also consider himself to have you crushed at this point with an overpair and be willing to get it in.

Played 2/5 last night in the juiciest game I've seen at that level in over a year at least. I played for roughly 6 hours with a single person at the table having a vpip of 100 for the entire time regardless of preflop spots. Biggest he got was 600 in pre with 62 against AK and KK. He had dumped at least 7k when I left, none of it fell in my pockets though. Played pretty poorly but also didnt have many opportunities. I gave myself chances post flop but nothing fell my way. Was definately one of the funnest tables I've seen in a long time though.

There were about 50 interesting spots so if I can peice a few of them together I'll write them up

Also in hand 1, I folded as did SB, showing K:clubs:6:clubs: and the UTG1 turned over KK
Hand 2 I mucked and regretted it for the next hour

Regretting a fold for an hour is less then I usually would lol :p

RE: Villians perceptions of me... I generally would consider him one of, if not, my best mate at Burswood, but we do play completely hard and do bluff/raise light vs each other. I dont know exactly why he chooses to have an almost null 3bet range in either HU or close to HU spots against me, but he does. I think the main reason he does is because for the first few sessions, before we became decent friends, was that he would sit close to, or on my, immediate left, which meant that when I opened light, he would 3! with a range of AK and JJ+, everyone would fold, I would fold, and he won $30 with his monsters, and perhaps thought that he would be better off overall playing 4 way pots for $25 each with monsters rather then stealing my open and any limps. Overall he is obviously better of just sitting to my right (or not being on my table at all) but I think he, like a few other regs, are mildly concerned that I am someone that is aware of bet sizing tells and will 3bet light with a willingness to put in $500 very light*...

Not sure if that really answers your question though...

*Fun hand from last weekend... BB is a spazz that has raised all pairs down to 2s from all positions (he raised 44 from the big in a 5 way limped pot).

7 limps, I complete KJo, BB raises to 30. Around 5 callers of varying stack sizes, I backjam for $1k overall (my stack) but $400 against the BB, and stacks of $200 or so vs 3 of the callers, and the rest had an absolute zero calling range based on action...

BB snaps, two of the shorties call, and I lose to KK of the BB, but beat the other two who had J4o and KTo respectively... lol me...

Playing 2/5 last week, heres a hand

Hero BB with $600~
Villian is UTG with $500~. Youngish Asian, no history or reads, only at the table for an orbit or so. There was a $10 blind raise going for about half the table, Villian makes the raise

Hero is dealt A8o in the BB, 4 callers of $10, hero calls out of BB closing the action

FLOP: K98r ($60)

Checks around (6 players)

Turn: 8 (bringing diamond draw)
Hero bets $35, Villian calls $35, everyone else folds

River: 5:spades:

Hero bets $75, Villian raises to $160....Hero?

Hero BB with $600~
Villian is UTG with $500~. Youngish Asian, no history or reads, only at the table for an orbit or so. There was a $10 blind raise going for about half the table, Villian makes the raise

Hero is dealt A8o in the BB, 4 callers of $10, hero calls out of BB closing the action

Tough one with no info. But I don't think I'm ever raising here. Close between fold/call but I'm prob just going to flat, and see what he's minraising rivers with.

I think its a call and not particularly close to either folding or raising IMO...

87o is real close to a fold or a call. I would be 3betting 85o and folding to a 4bet.

----------------------------------

Unusual spot from Sunday afternoon.

APL (I used to work for them) were having a $115 tournament and has recently decided to change their rake structure from 10% capped at $50 to 10% capped at $15 (same as Burswood) as well as change the BI structure to 50-500. I decided for a change to go down and muck around there rather then play the Burswood Sunday tournament.

Last hand of the tournament break before the donkament restarts. I am in the CO paying 500, which is nice, but unfortunately everyone else is playing SFA, with stacks ranging from $40 to $200.

Three limpers, I elect to limp(?), Button limps, SB completes BB checks

FLOP: 35: Q44

All check

TURN: 35: 6

All check

RIVER: 35: J

BB leads for 5 (playing 100), two callers... playing around 100-200

Call, raise or fold?

Hero BB with $600~

results?

Semi-interesting hand from Sunday.

Game is 5/5 200-1k. I am in for the max obviously, and most of the table is playing either the max or close to it. My image is probably a bit laggy, have had the button when the most regular of the straddlers has been straddling (straddler isnt in the hand). I have recently won a big pot with TT after raising and calling a 3bet in position, flopping top set vs KK on a wet board, and holding vs some other random not in this hand. Main villian played the satelitte tournament with me, played okay but ran bad. At this cash table he has been relatively quiet but very passive if he had any defining trait.

I raise to 25 after a limper with AQo, and get called in 3 spots behind me while the limper calls. The villian is the second player to call me.

FLOP: 130: A9T with two hearts, I have the Qh but not the Ah.

I bet 80 and get called by only the main villian.

TURN: 290: Ao

I bet 135 and get called after a moments deliberation

RIVER: 560: Jack no flush.

We have around 700 back effective. What is my best line and sizing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heres a few hands I played 2/5 the other night. Just general line checks I guess

Villian is first 2 hands is a middle aged Asian who knew everyone by name and knew everyones home games but he didnt look familiar to me. He was more interested in the 1/2 PLO getting up than the 2/5. He seemed competant and liked to see flops/outplay etc.

We are 6 handed, with $650 eff (me covering just). UTG+1 Hero dealt J:spades:T:hearts:
Hero raises $20, Villian flats from MP, Weakish player from BTN calls, blinds fold

Flop J:clubs:T:clubs:9:clubs: ($67)
Hero bets $40, Villian thinks for a moment and calls $40, BTN folds

Turn 5:hearts: ($147)
Hero bets $90, Villian thinks for roughly 30 seconds and raises to $270 leaving $320 behind

Thoughts on shipping/folding?

Hand 2 is same villian about 30min later. I had been fairly active with a wide opening range. Had lots of c/raises and c/calls in my range.

Stacks are $500 eff with hero covering
UTG Hero dealt 8:hearts:8:diamonds: and raises to $20, Villian calls, everyone else folds

Flop A:spades: A:clubs: 2:diamonds: ($47)
I check, Villian bets $30, Hero calls (I think with history and reads on villian, he likes to fire a lot of flops etc. Leading this flop puts me in an awkward spot if raised etc and raising may be the only way he can continue with worse hands. I think hes betting enough of the time with worse to make a c/call good)

Turn 2:hearts: ($107)
Hero checks, villian bets $60, hero calls

River 9:diamonds: ($227)
Hero checks, planning to check call

Semi-interesting hand from Sunday.

Game is 5/5 200-1k. I am in for the max obviously, and most of the table is playing either the max or close to it. My image is probably a bit laggy, have had the button when the most regular of the straddlers has been straddling (straddler isnt in the hand). I have recently won a big pot with TT after raising and calling a 3bet in position, flopping top set vs KK on a wet board, and holding vs some other random not in this hand. Main villian played the satelitte tournament with me, played okay but ran bad. At this cash table he has been relatively quiet but very passive if he had any defining trait.

I raise to 25 after a limper with AQo, and get called in 3 spots behind me while the limper calls. The villian is the second player to call me.

It seems simply but I still cant decide tbh

Pretty much everything but the flush gets there and villian will probably fire most of the time if checked to which puts you in an awkward spot. Bet folding seems spewy, check calling seems fishy, check folding seems weak. Bet calling looks genuis if it works and terrible if it doesnt.

Spots like this its important to have a good read/idea of your opponent. If you feel hes going to be getting out of line soon against you, maybe check calling is ok. If hes a tightish/nit that doesnt want to clash maybe check/folding is better

This really is a hand where the best decision is probably made at the time though

I'd bet in $175-225 range and fold to a shove.

Heres one a touch more interesting

History: Villian is a new face to me but obviously plays a lot. Youngish Asian that fits the stereotype, aggro and spewey, fires multiple streets and loves the raise out of the BB when limped too. He did so once, casually grabbing a handful of chips that turned out to be $75 when 4 people limped to his BB, got folds all round. Had previously shown down hands like 54s, 24 and 95 etc. Open raised in all spots you would expect an aggro to raise but also limped in odd spots. Hadnt ever limp/raised.
Villian has c/raised many times before, had also taken aggro lines with bottom pairs and holdings mentioned above

Hero is UTG2, Villian 1 BB, Villian 2 UTG (old reg/fish)
Eff stacks are $600 with Hero covering.

Hero dealt T:clubs: T:hearts:
UTG limps, Hero raises to $25, Villian 1 calls $25, Villian 2 calls $25

Flop ($77) A:clubs: 2:clubs: 5:diamonds:

V1 checks, V2 checks, Hero bets $55, V1 raises to $150, V2 folds, Hero...

Can we raise/call it off in this spot against this type of villian?

Pretty much a shove because of all the potential draws in his hand - you also have a blocker to him filling a flush. Also, a lot of Aces pre this player will raise out of the blinds, discounting a ton of those. Sometimes he will wake up with a an A, and in that spot on that board will sometimes have Aces up (so Ad,2d etc). He's always calling a shove given his image so you have zero fold equity, but most of the time he's getting it in well behind, so basically a shove for value.

RE: AQ hand....

I bet the river something like 240 with the intention to fold to a shove... I got tank-called and assumed I had either Ace-weak or KK/QQ crushed, but instead lost to 9s full who was debating raising...

A couple of hands from this week

HAND 1

The villian from this hand is Asian, a bit spewy, and plays a wide range of hands. He is the guy from the hand I posted a few weeks ago where he check/raised me on the river on a 992-3-J board and I called the river with king high. He knows I am "that" guy but I am unsure whether he thinks I am a wizard or an idiot because of it.

A limp, he limps, I raise Q9s to 25 on the button with deep stacks and get called in two spots. Everyone is playing 500+

FLOP: 82: AJ9r

Checks to me, I check

TURN: 82: AJ9-9

Checks to me, I bet 45, a fold, he check-raises to 110.

Hero?

-----------------------------

Hand 2 was a donkament hand, but since I cant remember stack sizes is pretty pointless to post.

RE: AQ hand....

HAND 1

The villian from this hand is Asian, a bit spewy, and plays a wide range of hands. He is the guy from the hand I posted a few weeks ago where he check/raised me on the river on a 992-3-J board and I called the river with king high. He knows I am "that" guy but I am unsure whether he thinks I am a wizard or an idiot because of it.

A limp, he limps, I raise Q9s to 25 on the button with deep stacks and get called in two spots. Everyone is playing 500+

FLOP: 82: AJ9r

Checks to me, I check

TURN: 82: AJ9-9

Checks to me, I bet 45, a fold, he check-raises to 110.

Hero?

-----------------------------

Depends how much deeper than $500 it is, but I'm probably just going to call if it's not real deep (like 150bbs+) and let him continue with his bluffs on the river (seems like that kind of player).

Only afraid of K9, A9 I guess and he can have a worse 9, q10, complete air a lot.

Depends how much deeper than $500 it is, but I'm probably just going to call if it's not real deep (like 150bbs+) and let him continue with his bluffs on the river (seems like that kind of player).

Only afraid of K9, A9 I guess and he can have a worse 9, q10, complete air a lot.

Pretty much this, strange board for him to check raise on though given its very dry? (with most players this would set of alarm signals) Can he actually play or is he just a total spewmonster? The hands he represents are very narrow and you have blockers to quite a number of them. You have position, call turn, let him barrell river - depending on the river action a c/r for value might be in order. If he has one of the few hands you are dominated by so be it (which seems very unlikely given the preflop action).

At Happy daze he is relatively competent post other then that *ed c/r river bluff vs me (I had "got him" a couple times that day, maybe he just hated me). Plays too many hands, but generally plays them well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back