Roast The Melbourne Board NAPALM thread (hosted by Topkent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeepers that’s a surprise.

Not really, I think the footy media incorrectly reports on list changes. They make it out like only lower clubs have high numbers but 4 draftees and 2 trade outs is 6 changes
Think you'll find most clubs average around 6 anyway. Realistically if your best 22 is settled it doesn't matter how many changes you make to your depth, that's all it is. Every chance next year JKH, Lewis, Smith, Keilty, Garlett all get delisted which is 5 changes, doesn't take much happening from there to reach 7 again.

Draft points are by no means the be all and end all, but it’s as objective as you can be. See below the trades you suggested:

Hogan trade ~2,500 points
Shiel trade ~2,200 points
Lever trade ~1,650 points
Gibbs trade ~1,900 points

The Beams to Brisbane was similar points for picks plus whatever Cripps is worth. But you can’t really use anything Brisbane did in that period...

You've got me, I was too lazy to detail out the deals. Let's add a bit more information then, shall we?

Hogan trade ~2,500 points - 23 year old KPF, contracted
Shiel trade ~2,200 points - 25 year old mid, can't remember if contracted (and part of a GWS fire sale, as usual)
Lever trade ~1,650 points - 21 year old 3rd up defender, out of contract
Gibbs trade ~1,900 points - 28 year old mid, can't remember if contracted

If you're going to disregard what Brisbane do, then you'll have to scratch every GWS trade from the books because they give their players away. A club other than GWS would have either extracted more (except us) or held on to Shiel. Adelaide could have reasonably expected to get a better pick than they ended up with this year, given we did better than anticipated. At five years older and as a more easily replaceable player, I don't think Gibbs does much towards proving your point. Looks like Carlton did well out of that one to me.

If Hogan is just a run of the mill player, then I'm sure we did fine. None of those other guys above are Judd, Carey, Oliver, etc type players who are going to make or break a club. If he's however an A Grade KPF and a gun in the making (as 2/3 of the board believed a month ago), then sorry, still looks like we got roasted on the deal.

You've got me, I was too lazy to detail out the deals. Let's add a bit more information then, shall we?

Shiel trade ~2,200 points - 25 year old mid, can't remember if contracted (and part of a GWS fire sale, as usual)

If you're going to disregard what Brisbane do, then you'll have to scratch every GWS trade from the books because they give their players away. A club other than GWS would have either extracted more (except us) or held on to Shiel. Adelaide could have reasonably expected to get a better pick than they ended up with this year, given we did better than anticipated. At five years older and as a more easily replaceable player, I don't think Gibbs does much towards proving your point. Looks like Carlton did well out of that one to me.

If Hogan is just a run of the mill player, then I'm sure we did fine. None of those other guys above are Judd, Carey, Oliver, etc type players who are going to make or break a club. If he's however an A Grade KPF and a gun in the making (as 2/3 of the board believed a month ago), then sorry, still looks like we got roasted on the deal.
Hogan is an absolute gun. No questions asked. But you threw up some trades and all bar the crazy vossy days at Brisbane we got better value.

I’m being lazy, but list some more and I’ll work out the points. I was trying to find all of the biggest trades post Judd and rank them using the points system.

Pretty sure nobody is disagreeing that we got the worse end of the deal.

I guess the question is whether we would have been better off not closing the deal and waiting a year with a player who wanted to leave who would have been worth less when out of contract.

At least we bring in a gun defender and potential quality link up kicker now, and avoid the potential stench and risk.

Would you have preferred we didn’t do the deal and waited to see what happened next year (genuine question, not being a smart arse)?

I think it's hard to know what actually goes on behind the scenes.

ie: GWS did us a massive favour not bidding on Viney and there's a fair chance generous trades or some kind of handshake agreement were involved.

I'd like to think there's some underhanded s**t going on that will pay dividends down the line.

I am convinced that even if we win a flag or 3 there are some on here that would find something to argue over .
I disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back