The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really looking forward to the Hateful 8, I have yet to be let down by a Tarantino flick yet so I'm hopeful that while it may not be his best it will be a good watch.

Find a cinima showing it in 70mm format. That's how QT shot it. I think the Rivoli in camberwell is one of the few (only1?) in Melb doing this

I read about that, does that mean a wider screen? Tickets will be hard to come by there then...

Essentially yes, although it doesn't always work out that way necessarily. It basically gives the Cinematographer more of a 'canvas' to work with, for the audience however it basically comes down to the aspect ratio you'll be seeing on screen (should the cinema support it). The main difference from the 70mm he used I believe is that it's a different aspect ratio. Most Hollywood films are anamorphic so around 2.39:1, but I believe 70mm is capable of something like 2.76:1 known as Ultra Panavision, which is different to the 70mm used by iMax.

I thought he was great in the Departed. Also in Shutter Island.

A list of oscars he probably could/should have won:

What's eating Gilbert Grape (2003) - Incredible performance as a disabled boy who watches his mother eat herself to death. Nominated but beaten by Tommy Lee Jones.

The Basketball Diaries (1995) - How the hell was he not even nominated for this!!!? Was up against some pretty stiff competition anyway with Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump, John Travolta for Pulp Fiction and Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank.

Titanic (1997) - Not his best performance but was certainly high enough profile for a sneaky win as a relative newcomer.

Catch me if you can (2002) - Dominant performance as Frank Abernathy Jnr..... Wasn't even nominated in a year that Denzel won for Training Day (pfffft!!).

The Aviator (2004) - Nominated and beaten by Jamie Foxx (Ray).

Blood Diamond (2006) - Nominated.... Beaten by Forest Whitaker (The last king of scotland... which was epic btw).

The Departed (2006) - Not even nominated.... Whatever!!

Shutter Island (2010) - Not nominated.... Which is ludicrous considering the VERY average competition that year.... Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart won it. Colin Firth even somehow managed a nom... WHAT!

Inception (2010) - Not even nominated.... Won by Colin Firth for the Kings Speech which he probably would have lost to anyway.

Django Unchained (2012) - This performance was incredible..... Beaten by fellow unchainey, Christopher Waltz for Best supporting actor.... Can't argue with that I guess.

The wolf of wall street (2013) - While McConaughey was excellent, this award should have gone straight to Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 years a slave.

The Revenant (2015) - Won't win it....

The guy is an absolute icon and without doubt, the best actor of his generation.... He doesn't need an Oscar to prove this fact.

What's eating Gilbert Grape (2003) - Incredible performance as a disabled boy who watches his mother eat herself to death. Nominated but beaten by Tommy Lee Jones.

The Basketball Diaries (1995) - How the hell was he not even nominated for this!!!? Was up against some pretty stiff competition anyway with Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump, John Travolta for Pulp Fiction and Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank.

Titanic (1997) - Not his best performance but was certainly high enough profile for a sneaky win as a relative newcomer.

Catch me if you can (2002) - Dominant performance as Frank Abernathy Jnr..... Wasn't even nominated in a year that Denzel won for Training Day (pfffft!!).

Blood Diamond (2006) - Nominated.... Beaten by Forest Whitaker (The last king of scotland... which was epic btw).

Shutter Island (2010) - Not nominated.... Which is ludicrous considering the VERY average competition that year.... Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart won it. Colin Firth even somehow managed a nom... WHAT!

Inception (2010) - Not even nominated.... Won by Colin Firth for the Kings Speech which he probably would have lost to anyway.

Django Unchained (2012) - This performance was incredible..... Beaten by fellow unchainey, Christopher Waltz for Best supporting actor.... Can't argue with that I guess.

The wolf of wall street (2013) - While McConaughey was excellent, this award should have gone straight to Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 years a slave.

The guy is an absolute icon and without doubt, the best actor of his generation.... He doesn't need an Oscar to prove this fact.

Hard to argue. I loved a lot of these movies. He puts a lot more into performances than someone like Tom Hanks (who I also like) but for some reason can't get over the line.

I can't think of a standout competitor this year which is why I think it may be his year after another classic performance where he carried the whole film on his back.

Hard to argue. I loved a lot of these movies. He puts a lot more into performances than someone like Tom Hanks (who I also like) but for some reason can't get over the line.

I can't think of a standout competitor this year which is why I think it may be his year after another classic performance where he carried the whole film on his back.

Was planning on watching The Revenant tonight.... I don't mind Tom Hardy's work (The Warrior was EXCELLENT) so pretty excited for it.

Completely disagree.... Never been a fan of him but suffice to say I'm probably in the minority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely disagree.... Never been a fan of him but suffice to say I'm probably in the minority.

A very small minority... What is it about him you don't like? Could you name 3 better current actors? (Just to get an idea of who you do like).

Yeah I can't have Rusty. Brad Pitt used to be my favourite but Leo has him covered now. Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson are pretty awesome and I reckon we got robbed of a great talent who was just starting to shine in Heath Ledger.

Agree re: Ledger.

Freeman/Jackson I wouldn't class in Leo's generation but both great actors.... Freeman moreso.
Also used to be a Pitt fan but have lost interest since Fight Club.

My top 3 of all time would be Nicholson, DeNiro, DiCaprio.

Agree re: Ledger.

Freeman/Jackson I wouldn't class in Leo's generation but both great actors.... Freeman moreso.
Also used to be a Pitt fan but have lost interest since Fight Club.

My top 3 would be Nicholson, DeNiro, DiCaprio.

My top 3 would be DiCaprio, Hanks, Pitt.

Old school I like Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino and I do like Sylvester Stallone.

My top 3 would be DiCaprio, Hanks, Pitt.

Old school I like Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino and I do like Sylvester Stallone.

I used to love Pacino too after being obsessed with Scarface and The Devil's Advocate...... He's really jumped the shark these days though with bad film choices... I guess DeNiro has done that too though.

EDIT: If you get the chance to sit down and watch "The Shining" again, do it.... Just focus on Nicholson's acting.... It will blow you away!!! The scene where his mrs backs up the staircase with the baseball bat is fricken incredible!!!

Interesting summary. I've never really liked DiCaprio, especially after seeing The Titanic. I hated that film. So for years after that, I avoided all his movies. Then I saw him in The Great Gatsby, which I went to because its one of my favourite books, and I thought 'this guy's not a bad actor'. So I followed up with the Wolf of Wall Street, and thought 'not bad' again. Now I'm slowly turning around in my opinion of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back