Roast Football fans and violence the true instigators.

Remove this Banner Ad

You've heard it from me before but it doesn't change the facts.

The Australian media have been meddling with the game for years now and the Melbourne soccer derby is just the latest instance of it.

Any simple alien visiting earth and seeing those despicable media ads could be forgiven for imagining a civil war was about to break out in Melbourne.

It all boils down to pure and simple incitement.

The building up to fever pitch of fans emotions that creates a cauldron of and anger and frustration.

Sure the fans need to be punished but the despicable Australian media slink away scot free and smirking - as usual.

No conservative government would dream of denying Murdoch anything but there isn't a conservative government in power now.

No simple legislation to curb the incontestable power of the media will do because a conservative government when elected will make it their first task to overturn it.

No the question must be put to the people as in a referendum so that changes will be enshrined as the spoken will of the people expressed as a plebiscite.

It's a miracle no one was seriously hurt.

The media is a rabid dog that needs to be muzzled.

Enough is enough.

I dunno, the media these days are the morality police on any topic, not just sport or football.

You’re old enough to remember when the news at 6 o’clock just reported the facts, then 6:30 was when Mike Willisee would come on to parse the news through a moral lens.

These days the news just goes straight to moralizing. It’s become the way of the world. Media Watch still try to put up a fight about it but they’re just yelling at the clouds.

Not convinced banning fans from games is the right way to go about things.

Of course anybody who did anything illegal (piffing buckets) should feel the weight of the law over that. Anybody who did anything against the venue rules should get a ban from the venue / competition / club.

But I don’t think punishing a whole supporter base over the antics of a few is the right thing to do. Sure, they do that in some other countries, but not sure it fits within the he culture of this country.

I would hope that if the Collingwood cheer squad did a pitch invasion, that I wouldn’t get a suspension from attending Collingwood games.

I dunno, the media these days are the morality police on any topic, not just sport or football.

You’re old enough to remember when the news at 6 o’clock just reported the facts, then 6:30 was when Mike Willisee would come on to parse the news through a moral lens.

These days the news just goes straight to moralizing. It’s become the way of the world. Media Watch still try to put up a fight about it but they’re just yelling at the clouds.
I dunno about that '76WS. The media has always been about promoting consumption and vested interests. Maybe you are just able to see angles a bit more in your aged wisdom. On the other hand there has never been more diverse sources of information in my lifetime. We have the capacity to be really well informed about virtually any issue at our fingertips. Maybe the mainstream media has gone a little more gonzo in its attempt to stay relevant.

If there was a way to love a post more than once I would use it. No question the media is to blame for Valentine's Day and that pumpkin head celebration that my wife and kids have latched on to.

Dont start me on holloween and sending kiddies out onto roads in masks knocking on stranger's doors...

And I was just thinking about all the wasteful christmas decorations that have been put up at the insistence of the media....and how many fish are going to be choked in port phillip bay in the coming year?

The list goes on. I'm thinking a little wider to all the media promotion of meaghan markle is going to put a number of people over the edge over the holidays...

You've heard it from me before but it doesn't change the facts.

The Australian media have been meddling with the game for years now and the Melbourne soccer derby is just the latest instance of it.

Any simple alien visiting earth and seeing those despicable media ads could be forgiven for imagining a civil war was about to break out in Melbourne.

It all boils down to pure and simple incitement.

The building up to fever pitch of fans emotions that creates a cauldron of and anger and frustration.

Sure the fans need to be punished but the despicable Australian media slink away scot free and smirking - as usual.

No conservative government would dream of denying Murdoch anything but there isn't a conservative government in power now.

No simple legislation to curb the incontestable power of the media will do because a conservative government when elected will make it their first task to overturn it.

No the question must be put to the people as in a referendum so that changes will be enshrined as the spoken will of the people expressed as a plebiscite.

It's a miracle no one was seriously hurt.

The media is a rabid dog that needs to be muzzled.

Enough is enough.
You're blaming the local media for soccer fans being irrational emotional bitches with a flagrant disregard for social order across the entire world?

No other football codes have issues like it. There's a reason for it and it ain't the *en media!

Jmac just check the media in the week leading up to the game every ad harping on the bitter rivalry between the clubs.

Irrespective of the leagues decision the atmosphere was set by the media playing up that rivalry, whatever the spark the fuel was those ads.

Reckless and irresponsible.

Because they are legally immune to the consequences of their actions.
But mate, there was no altercation between the two sets of fans.
Victory stormed the pitch, City stayed put. The anger was directed at the league because of the decision to sell off the finals.

But mate, there was no altercation between the two sets of fans.
Victory stormed the pitch, City stayed put. The anger was directed at the league because of the decision to sell off the finals.
The media incited violence against rhe cameraman, didnt you see the pregame? They blamed him for 9/11.

It's not the journalist that injured the goalkeeper but the half-brain hooligan (who will hopefully learn a hard lesson about accountability).

We can blame their parents. Why aren't those idiots brought up well enough to possess a moral compass and enough judgement to know it's bad form to invade a pitch and hurt people?

We can blame society and the injustices of the world.

We can blame their social circle.

Blame the shitty Melbourne weather or the league for selling the finals.

The media might stir emotions but you'd hope that people have enough wisdom to take responsibility for their own actions. No excuses.

Last edited:
I know a couple of blokes who most likely wont be renewing their City memberships because they are disgusted with sicko thug fans and corrupt admin as well as racist feeder clubs.

We agonise about racism in football (and rightly so) but in soccer its deeply entrenched.

Soccer is rotten from bottom to top around the world, with rare exceptions like Japan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course anybody who did anything illegal (piffing buckets) should feel the weight of the law over that. Anybody who did anything against the venue rules should get a ban from the venue / competition / club.

But I don’t think punishing a whole supporter base over the antics of a few is the right thing to do. Sure, they do that in some other countries, but not sure it fits within the he culture of this country.

I would hope that if the Collingwood cheer squad did a pitch invasion, that I wouldn’t get a suspension from attending Collingwood games.

Just make Fans leave the A-League saying they don't care about the Normal Well Behaved Fans who are doing the Right Thing

I’m just pleased, upon reading the thread title, that Essendon players haven’t gotten away with assaulting Jack Ginnivan again recently.

PS it's something we should all be concerned about and if you don't remember the media sh!tstorm that created the lynch mob mentality that surrounded Gini all season I suggest you review it.
Then again Jon I believe you had the pitchfork out and were ready to implale Jordy this year in the biggest media shitstorm created against a Collingwood player. The Bali debacle was entirely a media constuct to the extent they went looking for and created a story where none existed.

You're blaming the local media for soccer fans being irrational emotional bitches with a flagrant disregard for social order across the entire world?

No other football codes have issues like it. There's a reason for it and it ain't the *en media!
Uhmmm. Football ⚽️ is played in front of half the world's population.
Absolutely massive.
Bound to be problems from time to time. In this case in Melbourne. A handful of idiots.
The crowds are mostly well behaved. Even in Europe and South America nowadays.

Idiot with the bucket should face a jail sentence. Inexcusable.

Absolutely massive.
Bound to be problems from time to time. In this case in Melbourne. A handful of idiots.

Its an interesting discussion. My experience of soccer matches is overwhelmingly positive, limited and violent.

Not sure how much is the tension of the game with few scoring releases but plenty of time to look away from the action. I am sure a big part is the culture of large groups of young males inciting each other. That is not a part of other sports i attend.

I havent been to many soccer games but i did do the World Cup in South Africa with my 3 sons and their mates. Great trip but crowd behaviour was unlike any other sporing event.

I have been to hundreds of Collingwood matches with my boys but Germany v Aust was the 1st time i saw them get involved in fisticuffs or any altercation. Walking out after the match a large belligerent middle aged German gent got in their ear. I ignored and walked on only to look back and see 2 of my sons on the ground with this bloke trying to throw punches. Lucky they were all pugilistlicaly challenged.

Gyana match the 3 well dressed Guyanan men and women who were unlucky to have tickets in the Aussie section left after we goaled and they were showered in beer and belligerence. When the match turned against us there was a continal volley of fluid filled plastic beer bottles thrown onto the crowd below and for the better arms onto the field. Plastic bottles because glass had been banned from Aussie maches. I was pretty stunned at the behavious and expected outrage from the Aussie press. Not a word.

Against Serbia pre match we were in a bar with some Serbian Aussies who were happy enough early but progressed to wanting to fight us within 20 minutes

My few A League matches have also all had violent events occur in the crowd. Its a small amount of matches and l like the game but my experience is there is a crowd violence and aggro you just dont see at othe sports.

Last edited:

Not sure how promoting a rivalry instigated the violence. For me it was the goalkeeper who threw the flare into the ground. He got off scott free.

That’s not to say I’m a fan of the media, I definitely am not. The fake newsfeeds almost destroyed us last year with Buckley and Eddie dragged through the mud!

Absolutely massive.

How about the goalie that threw the flare into the crowd?!

I doubt he was throwing it at the person that originally threw it on the pitch. So from that perspective he is no better than the transgressor and should be punished…he incited the pitch invasion.

Not excusing the idiots that stormed the pitch, but the goalie needs to be punished as well.

Its an interesting discussion. My experience of soccer matches is overwhelmingly positive, limited and violent.

Not sure how much is the tension of the game with few scoring releases but plenty of time to look away from the action. I am sure a big part is the culture of large groups of young males inciting each other. That is not a part of other sports i attend.

I havent been to many soccer games but i did do the World Cup in South Africa with my 3 sons and their mates. Great trip but crowd behaviour was unlike any other sporing event.

I have been to hundreds of Collingwood matches with my boys but Germany v Aust was the 1st time i saw them get involved in fisticuffs or any altercation. Walking out after the match a large belligerent middle aged German gent got in their ear. I ignored and walked on only to look back and see 2 of my sons on the ground with this bloke trying to throw punches. Lucky they were all pugilistlicaly challenged.

Gyana match the 3 well dressed Guyanan men and women who were unlucky to have tickets in the Aussie section left after we goaled and they were showered in beer and belligerence. When the match turned against us there was a continal volley of fluid filled plastic beer bottles thrown onto the crowd below and for the better arms onto the field. Plastic bottles because glass had been banned from Aussie maches. I was pretty stunned at the behavious and expected outrage from the Aussie press. Not a word.

Against Serbia pre match we were in a bar with some Serbian Aussies who were happy enough early but progressed to wanting to fight us within 20 minutes

My few A League matches have also all had violent events occur in the crowd. Its a small amount of matches and l like the game but my experience is there is a crowd violence and aggro you just dont see at othe sports.
Undoubtedly yes it is a more violent culture, I’d say your examples however are just as likely to occur at an AFL game. I’ve seen it. Even the pitch invasion was minor by comparison. You had maybe 10 transgressors, something like that in other leagues would have led to death. It’s a minor issue. The A League is s**t, I don’t watch it nor do I care.

Look at crowd violence and crowd control issues throughout Europe and South America, it’s ridiculous and I put it down to having less happening in the game..more time to cause trouble.

Undoubtedly yes it is a more violent culture, ...

Look at crowd violence and crowd control issues throughout Europe and South America, it’s ridiculous and I put it down to having less happening in the game..more time to cause trouble.
I have heard the low goals stuff for decades, don't buy it. Crowds get together for all sorts of events that turn out duds - plenty of low scoring AFL matches on record - but that doesn't end in violence. There is a culture of violence around the round footy game that goes back a long way - look at the pommie firms and European trends, including Eastern Europe. Its a disease and it was imported to Australia from that history not anything to do with what happens on the pitch. OP way off mark in blaming the media, goes beyond that.

I have heard the low goals stuff for decades, don't buy it. Crowds get together for all sorts of events that turn out duds - plenty of low scoring AFL matches on record - but that doesn't end in violence. There is a culture of violence around the round footy game that goes back a long way - look at the pommie firms and European trends, including Eastern Europe. Its a disease and it was imported to Australia from that history not anything to do with what happens on the pitch. OP way off mark in blaming the media, goes beyond that.
If that’s the case then why don’t we see it in any other sports? Surely those same people attend other events. Needs to stop

I think one of the reasons that soccer gets so much violence is that the excuses for the violence happening seems to be given more air than what happens in other sports..... it was the media who really sparked the violence...it was the other team's fault.... it was the goalie's fault for throwing the flare....There's always excuses. It strikes me that many of these supporters sound like they're a pack of 2 year olds who have been caught doing something wrong..of course, it's never their fault. The blame is always shifted. When they hit the terraces, the individual supporters turn into a mob and they divest themselves of any wrongdoing that they might do during or after the game. Soccer seems worse to me than rocknroll and communism...

Blaming the goalie is a ripper, how dare he? LOL. Thug sport for thugs.

This doesnt happen in netball because the clubs are run by sensible people. The players and fans have brains.

Doesnt happen in tennis or golf. Happens very rarely in Aussie rules, some fans and players are idiots. In soccerQ? Flares all the time, petty violence all the time.

Soccer is rotten from top to bottom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back