• Keep it at 2.30pm

Votes: 230 59.6%
  • Twilight (5pm)

Votes: 82 21.2%
  • Night (7pm)

Votes: 74 19.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, you're right...because with three year olds it's just a matter of slapping some food together and telling them to sit there in complete silence as you watch the game, destroying their nightly routine of bath, dinner, bedtime, and that attention seeking s**t they're always on about...god, if they can't handle that and rationally think through why their tantrums aren't fair on Daddy, then they need to take a good hard look...

No problem if you're a selfish s**t parent as well, but I've never been any good at that, much to my social and entertainment life's detriment...

Your 14 night games this season must've been an ordeal

tumblr_mii97vSN3X1rlm8gco4_r2_250.gif

Night grand final is a shithouse idea. Factoring in a 7-7.30pm start and 1/2 hr of post-match presentations, the game wouldn't finish until beyond 10pm. Fine if you're 20 and sinking piss in the backyard but not for families with young kids (who I suspect many commenting here don't have). By then they're tired, irritable and disinterested, killing the potential for parties/BBQs for lots of people. The success of the grand final boils down to more than tangible measurements (TV ratings) - the money generated from eating out + buying food & drink for BBQs, tourism, general discussion + interest amongst the public in the game and appealing to a wide audience (kids, elderly etc.) is just as important. Or is expansion/supporter inclusion only a good thing when it suits certain posters?

A twilight game would work though. 4-5pm start means the game doesn't finish too late for families, people can eat out or fire up the BBQ at half time. Plenty of time for both pre + post-match festivities and Channel 7 can screen the 6pm news during the half time break. Entertainment might also be more of a spectacle in darkness for those interested in it.

So prefer the traditional day slot but could live with a twilight start, whilst anything later than about 5.30 should be off-limits.

It's as good as coming, one of the reasons C7 stumped up so much cash, Gillon has probably signed off on it already and will be umming and ahhing for the next few years to make fans believe the opposite.

Scared you are dead right. Gillon does not seem like he is as in touch with overall good of the game as I would hope.

Some of these reasons are just laughable now. Less wind and no sun in eyes...right ok.

You do understand that's it's a fact there's less wind at night don't you? Obviously there's no sun at night, the conditions of a night grand final wouldn't be detrimental to the game. The two most free flowing finals were night games at the mcg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually watched a bit of the NRL GF because my housemate put it on - The main thing I came away with was what is the point of scrums?

But the other thing I thought of was 'How good is it that the AFL GF isn't shoved away on a Sunday night?'

Well, it's a public holiday Monday in NSW & QLD so it's not really "shoved away".

If anything, it gives the game much more exposure rather than having it on a Saturday arvo where the general population use that time to do other things. s**t! Even I didn't watch the AFL GF as I preferred to use the fantastic day we had to do other things.

Tradition is one thing. Sticking with something because it's the way it's always been done is pig stupidity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Night grand final is a shithouse idea. Factoring in a 7-7.30pm start and 1/2 hr of post-match presentations, the game wouldn't finish until beyond 10pm. Fine if you're 20 and sinking piss in the backyard but not for families with young kids (who I suspect many commenting here don't have). By then they're tired, irritable and disinterested, killing the potential for parties/BBQs for lots of people. The success of the grand final boils down to more than tangible measurements (TV ratings) - the money generated from eating out + buying food & drink for BBQs, tourism, general discussion + interest amongst the public in the game and appealing to a wide audience (kids, elderly etc.) is just as important. Or is expansion/supporter inclusion only a good thing when it suits certain posters?

A twilight game would work though. 4-5pm start means the game doesn't finish too late for families, people can eat out or fire up the BBQ at half time. Plenty of time for both pre + post-match festivities and Channel 7 can screen the 6pm news during the half time break. Entertainment might also be more of a spectacle in darkness for those interested in it.

So prefer the traditional day slot but could live with a twilight start, whilst anything later than about 5.30 should be off-limits.

I think 6-630 start is probably what they will look at. The key is shifting the game wholly into prime time and that begins at 6.

Yeah, you're right...because with three year olds it's just a matter of slapping some food together and telling them to sit there in complete silence as you watch the game, destroying their nightly routine of bath, dinner, bedtime, and that attention seeking s**t they're always on about...god, if they can't handle that and rationally think through why their tantrums aren't fair on Daddy, then they need to take a good hard look...

No problem if you're a selfish s**t parent as well, but I've never been any good at that, much to my social and entertainment life's detriment...

In a few years it might be good though...they can have a slumber party, and I'll just lock them in the garage for five hours with some sleeping bags, a bucket of chips and a torch...
Tentatively putting you in the "keep it during the day" bucket then?

Maybe we should have the game around 2am.

* It's new and different aka "exciting", and "world first!"
* INTERNATIONAL EXPOSURE by playing the game in a timeslot friendly to European audiences
* Integrity. Equally disadvantages both sides and the local audience
* More/less drinking time depending on when you choose to start drinking (!?!?!)

DO IT GILL, IT'S THE ONLY WAY

Last edited:
Maybe we should have the game around 2am.

* It's new and different aka "exciting", "groundbreaking" and "world first!"
* INTERNATIONAL EXPOSURE by playing the game in a timeslot friendly to European audiences
* Integrity. Equally disadvantages both sides and the local audience
* More/less drinking time depending on when you choose to start drinking (!?!?!)

DO IT GILL, IT'S THE ONLY WAY
That's why some of the 2000 Olympic events were held at 4am...

I will always prefer day games. The whole day has a flow to it starting from early in the morning.

TV audiences I understand the argument. Those who mention it's better for the entertainment, please shutup. Ridiculous to move the biggest game of the year for a 10 min second rate music performance and a couple of fireworks.

Why do people continue to say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it."?

Life is all about evolving and continuing to get better. If you leave things as they are, the world will pass you by.

If the night GF was the only night game in the year, then these arguments are valid.

Drinking too much by game time is not a valid argument. How about you handle your booze a bit better or drink responsibly. If thise at ground or watching at home are too hammered to watch it, then I doubt you were there to watch the game anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Why do people continue to say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it."?

Life is all about evolving and continuing to get better. If you leave things as they are, the world will pass you by.

If the night GF was the only night game in the year, then these arguments are valid.

Drinking too much by game time is not a valid argument. How about you handle your booze a bit better or drink responsibly. If those at ground or watching at home are too hammered to watch it, then I doubt you were there to watch the game anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Im with you and it WILL happen sooner rather than later.
I hate all the selfish people who want to keep the match at 2.30 for their own benefit
How about the millions that cant watch the game live on Sat afternoons? let them get stuffed eh?
The biggest most popular football code in the nation should have the biggest TV ratings for its GF and not play second fiddle to a second rate game!

This post is all the way back on page 1 but that guy you mocked is actually correct, with less noise pollution everything would be much easier to hear at night than during the day. This is the major contributor to the atmosphere of night games.

Back