The "Night time is better" myth

Remove this Banner Ad

What? Aren't the Olympic opening and closing ceremonies always on playing surfaces pretty much exactly the same size as the MCG? What a weird argument.

The reality is people in Australia are talking about a sport we never care about, with is final on at the antithesis of prime time – 10am on a Monday. That is why bands appear for free. That's why they get Beyonce and Katy Perry at their peaks. That's why they get all of these people and pull it off, not to mention the fact they can afford to put on million dollar spectacles.

The AFL can never afford this and to be honest, who cares?

When it's 3:30 in the afternoon, you've had a few beers, the sun is hitting your face and making your grab your sunglasses for the first time in six months, and you're buzzing in a handball competition... are you really going to wish you were half heartedly watch some choreography and a band as limp dick and populist and s**t as Coldplay?

Nah son.

Btw I love an arvo Grand Final but wouldn't be opposed to trialling a 4:30/5pm start. But once they trial it it'll never go back, so who knows.

Not a weird argument at all as the Grand Final is played on the same day on the same HUGE oval as the entertainment that everybody is so enthralled with.
The Olympic games ceremonies are planed years in advance with the added knowledge that the arena will not be used for anything else that day!
The Olympic Games opening ceremony was held on Friday 27 July 2012 in the Olympic Stadium London, the athletic competitions were held during the last 10 days of the Games from August 3-12 one week later!!! What do you suggest, we have the entertainment one week and start the game the next? The reality is the MCG is twice the size of an American Football stadium, the entertainment is meaningless in our game, but it is time we thought about the NIGHT time!
We are also talking about a completely different culture, i reckon you would find more people would know who was performing at the Superbowl than which two teams were actually playing!

Meh....couldn't care less. It's the footy I'm most interested in. Sad thing about Gridiron and NRL to a degree is that the entertainment blows anything the AFL do out of the park, but once play commences its downhill from there.

Privileged Melbourne based fans need to accept that it is a national game now.

Traditions people have with a lunch BBQ can be shifted to an evening BBQ.

Post game concerts are only a recent innovation, and are again only relevant to people who can potentially access the ground. They still have big family day type presentations the following day, where kids and big kids can celebrate with the players.

If the AFL can guarantee bigger exposure in the developing markets of NSW and QLD, where the majority of Australians live, by playing it during TV prime time it is going to happen.

Poor MCC members like myself will just have to change our normal GF day, a small inconvenience.
Nrl is nite time. I dont watch it. Who does?

Btw im accepting that its better for primetime tv, jus lets not have the garbage about how its better in the fleash so to speak.

Gillonwent on and on about the halftime stuff last superbowl, but gesswot, if it suits primetime, thayll but the show on in daylight

People who are pro night GF argue "Just trial it once and if it doesnt work then switch it back."

That's a stupid arguement. The AFL Grand Final will always sellout and get a huge TV audience, so it will "always work"....

Our game is not in trouble like test cricket.

It would get a much bigger TV audience at night.

Sunday night yes, but Saturday night? Not so sure, are casuals who watch one or two games a year really going to forgo a night out partying with friends to watch sport on TV? Not to mention all the young kids who will have to go to bed before the game is over.

The Saturday Afternoon qualifying final has outrated the Saturday Night one several times in the last few years.

Would the 2015 AFL GF rated higher if played at night-time, I doubt it, I recall several comments here that the game was over by half time and people were thinking about switching off.

The AFL GF should remain on Saturday afternoon.

Do you understand how timezones work?

I think he is suggesting that if we (Australians) are watching an alien sport at 10:30am on Monday, it speaks volumes about the popularity of said event and is why international type acts fallover themselves to be a part of it.

In 2015 the NRL had both a higher peak national rating and higher average rating for their GF.

More people in Australia were interested in watching the Cowboys than the Hawks!

Or perhaps the AFL is costing themselves a whole lot of viewers by playing the game in the arvo!?

The experience for a fan is also just as good at night, the Hawks played some cracking night PFs in recent seasons, with amazing atmosphere and fan experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as the fans are willing to pump in that money you mean? Average Superbowl ticket is $5k USD

This is how much drinks cost:
QtRfaTY.jpg
Cheaper than bar prices inSingapore

As a non Australian, who watches most of his footy from the UK, but has been lucky enough to visit Melbourne and take in the footy live. I don't understand the clamour to make Grand Final day, more Americanised than Australian.

Its a unique event in itself, that doesn't need to bastardise itself to become better.
Lets face it more people talk about the super bowl half time show, the adverts etc than they do about the game, most of the time!

The day should be about the game itself.

As Im from a football background, Id also try and stay away from a night game, as our cup finals are held during the day. A day game allows just the right build up til the afternoon bounce or kick off, without being too drawn out, allows the tv audience to make a day and night of it and also allows the fans to enjoy the aftermatch more, by not having to worry about late night transport home, closing time etc.

At a push go to a twilight but no later. We have night football here, especially for cup games and european matches, but these are midweek and allow for work etc for crowds and tv audiences.

Glory be the over the top Yanks and their stupid game consisting of loudmouths playing full contact chess at snails pace. No wonder the game needs half time 'entertainment'.. Anyone on here who actually considers Coldgay, Beyoncé and Bruno Mars entertainment needs to get out more.

Now it's a game right? Any of these articles state who actually played and who won this supposedly 'super' game of football? Haven't read one mentioning either.

This is Aussie Rules, the football is entertainment enough. Leave it alone.

In 2015 the NRL had both a higher peak national rating and higher average rating for their GF.

More people in Australia were interested in watching the Cowboys than the Hawks!

Or perhaps the AFL is costing themselves a whole lot of viewers by playing the game in the arvo!?

The experience for a fan is also just as good at night, the Hawks played some cracking night PFs in recent seasons, with amazing atmosphere and fan experience.

er... no corporates or fewer at prelims. der

I don't get the principle that you piss off loyal supporters for a few tune ins, who are probably only tuning in to bag the entertainment on social media anyway
My point about ratings is someone said well get more viewers in nsw and qld. I noted that the night NRL GF does not mean you get huge numbers of Victorians getting into Melbourne storm, which is still on life support ditto perth and adelaide

when the AFL names aching for a night GF are also all TV employees, who are they representing?

Btw im accepting that its better for primetime tv, jus lets not have the garbage about how its better in the fleash so to speak.

Gillonwent on and on about the halftime stuff last superbowl, but gesswot, if it suits primetime, thayll but the show on in daylight
look at what games are the highest rating in the land!

McGuire reckons a twilight GF is the answer to the AFL's GF entertainment problems. We could've held the GF in December and got AC/DC while they were out here, too.

Maybe get King Kong down for it. You know, with the ape thing. What do you reckon, Edward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back