Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to blind hack 5 meters out from opposition goal, you have to get more than 25 meters on it.

Agree. I could also say something else that really annoys me about blind hack short kicks (out of defence and elsewhere), but it's the wrong thread.

WTF???

No wonder no-one likes you Goodes....

WTF was that?
Like I said earlier, he brings some of it upon himself.

Being charitable to him I'd guess it was an aboriginal dance that he was determined to do if he kicked a goal, In and of itself not such a big deal (and a nice gesture I guess) but given the current climate it was possibly unwise.

Being very uncharitable to him I'd guess he did to stir the pot even more and to give him a soap box to stand on during the week.

He's proud of his indigenous identity. It's indigenous round and he's likely copping s**t from the carlton supporters. He kicked a goal and responded. More power to him imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are two of the best posters here but I think you're a long way wide of the mark on this one. I'm not saying that Goodes isn't a ******* on the field; his repeated sliding and diving is a testament to that. But the booing from the crowds absolutely has a racial undertone. I initially had the same opinion as you but after I read some of the reactions to his objections to the booing I was left utterly convinced that it has a lot to do with his race. You need to look no further than the cretins in Bay 13 and the facebook comments on news reports of this story for evidence. So often people are saying thinks like 'Go win another Australian of the year for being a ******' and 'He won an Australian of the year for picking on a teenage girl' and finally many sentences that start with the dreaded 'I'm not racist, but...' The idea he won AotY for that incident alone is ridiculous and the fact that people thought he was 'picking' on a girl by reacting the way he did to a racial insult is a downright indictment on them. It would be incredibly naive to suggest that the booing is only because he's a dickhead on the field and imo it shows the enormous distance the AFL and sport in general have to go in tackling racial vilification.

Thanks kangaspurs. Agree 100%. I'm sick & tired of reading posts bagging the media for sticking up for Adam Goodes, as if it was Goodsey's fault he is the target for the aggressive booing and insults he's copping. All Goodes is doing is taking the field to play the game he's been a champion in for a long time.

I'd love to see North Melbourne fans distinguish themselves from the boorish & ignorant boofheads who get their jollies booing Adam Goode. When we play Sydney I'm hoping our fans don't boo Goode from the opening bounce. Of course if he transgresses along the lines of a Hodge or Lewis during the course of the game, then fair enough. Being booed for some nasty incident during the game is a lot different from the incessant booing from the start. Hawthorn supporters have a putrid rep right now and deservedly so. Their relentless vitriolic and aggressive abuse of Goode has become embarrassing to that club. Goodsey's transgressions are no worse or more frequent than any number of players who do not attract the same attention.

Might be a long shot, but let's do our club proud and when we play Sydney, lay off Goodsey. We would earn the respect of the wider AFL community. And if anything it would amplify how vulgar and immature Hawk fans are. And that just seems far more satisfying.

BTW, this is one many reasons, unrelated to footy, why Adam Goode was awarded Australian of the Year.

http://www.go-foundation.org/

Last edited:
Thanks kangaspurs. Agree 100%. I'm sick & tired of reading posts bagging the media for sticking up for Adam Goode, as if it was Goodsey's fault he is the target for the aggressive booing and insults he's copping. All Goodes is doing is taking the field to play the game he's been a champion in for a long time.a

I'd love to see North Melbourne fans distinguish themselves from the boorish & ignorant boofheads who get their jollies booing Adam Goode. When we play Sydney I'm hoping our fans don't boo Goode from the opening bounce. Of course if he transgresses along the lines of a Hodge or Lewis during the course of the game, then fair enough. Being booed for some nasty incident during the game is a lot different from the incessant booing from the start. Hawthorn supporters have a putrid rep right now and deservedly so. Their relentless vitriolic and aggressive abuse of Goode has become embarrassing to that club. Goodsey's transgressions are no worse or more frequent than any number of players who do not attract the same attention.

Might be a long shot, but let's do our club proud and when we play Sydney, lay off Goodsey. We would earn the respect of the wider AFL community. And if anything it would amplify how vulgar and immature Hawk fans are. And that just seems far more satisfying.

BTW, this is one many reasons, unrelated to footy, why Adam Goode was awarded Australian of the Year.

http://www.go-foundation.org/

I think as fans we are pretty placid lot...the only time i can think of recently where we were premeditated was the Carey Crows night....we were ******* feral that night...most other times we react to specifics.

Respect for the Fox crew actually. Most of them agreeing it was a bad move from Goodes. I was half expecting them to just blindly back him in, makes me think maybe the media isn't all just cretins. Then again it was Cellars, Hall and Dermie sayning it, and I'm not sure either of them give more than half a * what others think of them (that half being Dermie and wanting everyone to think he's a Super Cool Intelligent Beautiful man).

I think as fans we are pretty placid lot...the only time i can think of recently where we were premeditated was the Carey Crows night....we were ******* feral that night...most other times we react to specifics.

Yeah, in the main North supporters are pretty good and don't go into a game with a premeditated mindset to abuse a particular player. We tend to react to issues as they unfold. Just hope we can rise above the ignorance and show respect to a great Australian.

If ever a player deserved to cop abuse from North Melbourne fans it was Leigh Matthews. My interest in footy coincided with Lethal Leigh's reign in the game as the most brutal player of his time. Some of his attacks on North players such as Keith Greg and Malcolm Blight were vicious & disgraceful. Goodes is a fair dinkum saint compared to Leigh Matthews. YET I can't recall Matthews copping anything remotely close to the abuse Goodes receives.

It's all a bit messy really re. the Goodes booing. As an indigenous leader and role model, he has been a huge figure. As an Aussie of the Year winner he cops it both ways, a bit of respect and a bit of tall poppy ridicule. And as a footballer, he has some history that makes him easy to dislike. The boos are loaded. The debate is healthy. I always suspect that the attacks on LT's 'diving' and 'playing for frees' have a racist undercurrent amongst some booers, including commentators. Racism is still prolific in this country, so this is just another chapter in the struggle.

It's all a bit messy really re. the Goodes booing. As an indigenous leader and role model, he has been a huge figure. As an Aussie of the Year winner he cops it both ways, a bit of respect and a bit of tall poppy ridicule. And as a footballer, he has some history that makes him easy to dislike. The boos are loaded. The debate is healthy. I always suspect that the attacks on LT's 'diving' and 'playing for frees' have a racist undercurrent amongst some booers, including commentators. Racism is still prolific in this country, so this is just another chapter in the struggle.

The biggest issue with the current public discourse, in my opinion, is that there aren't enough in the media who are bringing up the other plausible reasons for the booing. It's, ironically to a certain degree, offensive to many punters to be called racist. It's possibly even more offensive to be called a racist who doesn't even realise it.

It's a messy situation, and sadly I don't think enough people recognise all the intricacies that are in play.

We're a long way from Utopia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back