Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony is that it was far less aggressive then what Michael O'Loughlin did against West Coast a couple of years ago, yet this will get more negative attention. Why?

Is it because it was an indigenous war cry? Think about it. Would this be getting the same publicity if he just did something towards the crowd that Australia is more familiar with? Doubt it.

The irony is that it was far less aggressive then what Michael O'Loughlin did against West Coast a couple of years ago, yet this will get more negative attention. Why?

Is it because it was an indigenous war cry? Think about it. Would this be getting the same publicity if he just did something towards the crowd that Australia is more familiar with? Doubt it.

Reading around the site it looks like a the issue people have taken with it isn't the dance per se but the fact it was directed at the opposition supporters. I personally thought it was a pretty awesome celebration, but was uneasy with him directing it at the crowd. I can't help but think he was trying to bait the opposition supporters or to grab media headlines to further his personal aspirations. Cynical I know, but Goodes has said he is considering entering politics which colours my opinion of him a fair bit when it comes to actions like this.

As to it getting more negative attention a large part of that is the fact that society itself has changed. Social media and the MSM are both fuelled by outrage more often than not, where inconsequential things are turned into larger issues than they need to be.

Reading around the site it looks like a the issue people have taken with it isn't the dance per se but the fact it was directed at the opposition supporters. I personally thought it was a pretty awesome celebration, but was uneasy with him directing it at the crowd. I can't help but think he was trying to bait the opposition supporters or to grab media headlines to further his personal aspirations. Cynical I know, but Goodes has said he is considering entering politics which colours my opinion of him a fair bit when it comes to actions like this.

As to it getting more negative attention a large part of that is the fact that society itself has changed. Social media and the MSM are both fuelled by outrage more often than not, where inconsequential things are turned into larger issues than they need to be.

Yeah all good points and I get that people don't like it directed at the crowd. But at no stage would anyone from the crowd have reason to feel like they were in danger.

Maybe it is all about the media building something up to sell papers. Maybe it's also about how much of a nanny state we are and people are always looking to bring someone down.

As for Goodes, personally I think he's a bit of a w***er but I still loved what he did last night. If people believe he is doing it for political reasons, they are just playing into his hands by booing him. It's exactly what he wants. I put it to supporters to stop booing him because something that may not have started as a racial issue has, like it or not been turned into one.

I would absolutely love it if other indigenous lads did similar things over the weekend. It would throw a bucket of water on this beat up pretty quickly

Don't really care much for the Goodes debate.

If it's on race lines the people booing are hypocrites.

If it's not meh many have copped similar.

As for the dance don't really care.

For me it overshadows something pretty good to see in what Rohan did.

Don't really care much for the Goodes debate.

If it's on race lines the people booing are hypocrites.

If it's not meh many have copped similar.

As for the dance don't really care.

For me it overshadows something pretty good to see in what Rohan did.

When he calmed Buckley down and wisely kept him from getting up after the concussion? That was great sportsmanship I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....well the Main Board has gone into meltdown over Goodes...I posted on page 6...nekminit page 66 at lunch today....and rising again...

Yeah, discussions about 'moral' issues always get a boatload of posts.

I actually quite dislike those threads, because invariably you end up with a bunch of stubborn posters on either side all talking past each other (with the exception being when they're taking pot shots) with a few people trying to be neutral or balanced and generally being ignored.

Yeah, discussions about 'moral' issues always get a boatload of posts.

I actually quite dislike those threads, because invariably you end up with a bunch of stubborn posters on either side all talking past each other (with the exception being when they're taking pot shots) with a few people trying to be neutral or balanced and generally being ignored.

I wonder if anonymity enables people to write what they truly think....and for some its ugly thoughts.

I wonder if anonymity enables people to write what they truly think....and for some its ugly thoughts.

You will find people are a lot more honest when they are able to be anonymous. You will find people being more dishonest when they are not anonymous. That applies to 'good' people and 'bad'. Some bad people won't post what they really think, or will water it down. Some good people will ramp up how PC or progressive or tolerant they are so as to be seen as a better person than they are. This is especially the case with social media.

I like Goodes, think he is a sensational footballer. I think he cops a lot of flak due to the colour of his skin, change in legislation against racism has made it go underground, it hasn't changed racists into decent people.

So a lot of negative comments about him are blown up because he isn't white, much like LT gets a heap of criticism due to being indigenous which most white players who play for free kicks don't cop anywhere near as much or to the same rage inducing levels of vitriol.

I like Goodes, think he is a sensational footballer. I think he cops a lot of flak due to the colour of his skin, change in legislation against racism has made it go underground, it hasn't changed racists into decent people.

So a lot of negative comments about him are blown up because he isn't white, much like LT gets a heap of criticism due to being indigenous which most white players who play for free kicks don't cop anywhere near as much or to the same rage inducing levels of vitriol.

Respectfully I agree with your premises, but I don't think 'a lot' is the right term. Racism is certainly an element of the phenomenon, but I don't think it is that large of a contributor. That said, it's impossible to say with any degree of certainty just how much of the criticism/booing is born of concious or unconscious prejudice.

Respectfully I agree with your premises, but I don't think 'a lot' is the right term. Racism is certainly an element of the phenomenon, but I don't think it is that large of a contributor. That said, it's impossible to say with any degree of certainty just how much of the criticism/booing is born of concious or unconscious prejudice.

I just say a lot as a vague reference due to the amount of s**t he cops, has he really done anything to warrant 66 pages of hate overnight? If he was white would we see anything remotely close?

I just say a lot as a vague reference due to the amount of s**t he cops, has he really done anything to warrant 66 pages of hate overnight? If he was white would we see anything remotely close?

Certainly not all the pages are hate and the majority of 'hate' would be explained away (untruly for some) as a non racist dislike of Goodes. Mostly though the thread is bogged down with the same semantics and stubbornness posted again and again and again. Perhaps an analogy would be the threads about racist/sexist comments at the football or when Clarko whacked that bloke, those threads also push the page count pretty hard. People (rightly) care about social/moral issues.

Certainly not all the pages are hate and the majority of 'hate' would be explained away (untruly for some) as a non racist dislike of Goodes. Mostly though the thread is bogged down with the same semantics and stubbornness posted again and again and again. Perhaps an analogy would be the threads about racist/sexist comments at the football or when Clarko whacked that bloke, those threads also push the page count pretty hard. People (rightly) care about social/moral issues.

The repetitive noise against him is the racism though, most people don't even know that they are doing it or why they dislike him, will fabricate some pretty weak excuses to come down on a player. I've grown up with racism, back when it was okay to be pretty open to it all the way to the political correct version we have today, you become a lot more sensitive to picking up on the double talk when you are accustom to it. Honestly, it is better knowing someone was a campaigner right up front than have them weasel-word their way through intolerance.

It is why I don't think the way things have evolved is any good, we are breeding generations of people who don't know they are racists and don't know why they are.

I haven't read all the posts written about him and I am not trying to psycho-analyse any North supporters, but something which is pretty common is people are surprised when they get caught out on their racism, the vast majority do not believe they are racist and are usually subconsciously careful about how they express themselves in general.

Imo, this environment makes it harder to expose those type of people and it is harder for them to get counselling or reflect inwardly about their prejudices and why they have them. In most people, education and talking about personal issues can overcome things like racism so it is harmful to keep it underground and harder to detect and address.

I just tuned in to the Bulldogs v GWS game, doggie fans are booing Ryan Griffin and Callan Ward every time they get a possession, guess it is a new trend :p

Well I cant wait to give it to Greenwood tomorrow the s.o.b traitor.

GIF-dumb-fail-idiot-Schadenfreude-stupid-Wedding-Crashers-Will-Ferrell-GIF.gif

The repetitive noise against him is the racism though, most people don't even know that they are doing it or why they dislike him, will fabricate some pretty weak excuses to come down on a player. I've grown up with racism, back when it was okay to be pretty open to it all the way to the political correct version we have today, you become a lot more sensitive to picking up on the double talk when you are accustom to it. Honestly, it is better knowing someone was a campaigner right up front than have them weasel-word their way through intolerance.

It is why I don't think the way things have evolved is any good, we are breeding generations of people who don't know they are racists and don't know why they are.

I haven't read all the posts written about him and I am not trying to psycho-analyse any North supporters, but something which is pretty common is people are surprised when they get caught out on their racism, the vast majority do not believe they are racist and are usually subconsciously careful about how they express themselves in general.

Imo, this environment makes it harder to expose those type of people and it is harder for them to get counselling or reflect inwardly about their prejudices and why they have them. In most people, education and talking about personal issues can overcome things like racism so it is harmful to keep it underground and harder to detect and address.

Yeh my fave is "I am not a racist BUT...."

Who would have guessed Robbo would be up on his high horse, promoting the racism angle for all it is worth, his faux outrage is nauseating, too bad he was unable to show such outrage at the goings on at his beloved *essendon

It's a great chance for journos like Robbo to show how much more enlightened they are than the great unwashed.

Playing the racism card is an easy out given that Goodes is beyond recrimination or reproach for some unknown reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back