The Perth travel myth

Remove this Banner Ad

It has always been my suspicion that the idea of Perth team's being massively disadvantaged by flying back and forth is a bit whiny and lacks significant substance. As far as I am concerned my suspicion was confirmed yesterday. Neither Freo nor WC went anywhere for about month while the Hawks had to take the "arduous" journey twice, then ran all over the top of a younger, fitter and rested side. The home ground advantage that the WA teams get is far more significant than the negatives of flying back and forth.

Did you consider the home ground advantage Hawthorn had and the fact WC also had to travel?

They travelled once in a month, had a week off, and the home ground advantage on GF day is significantly diminished.

Hardly a statistically valuable sample size you've used there. Hawthorn are all class - Clarko outcoached Simmo and the team outplayed us.

The significance of travel is in the long-term effect on the career of a player. In the short-term, the effects are very hard to measure, especially nowadays considering the techniques and established routines that minimise the negative impacts conferred by such travel.

It has been documented that the increased exposure to cosmic radiation associated with regular air travel reduces life expectancy, mostly due to increased rates of cancer. So a player who travels more regularly and for longer periods of time will likely have a shorter career than a player who travels significantly less. Pavlich is the only WA based player who has played over 300 games.

It is a moot point anyway because nothing much can be done about it in terms of the competition per se (obviously those in the sports medicine industry might be interested in further research).

While travel has an effect in the long term, I agree that it should never be used as an excuse as to why a team performed badly on a single occasion.

So every past and current player and coach in both WA teams are unanimous in saying that travelling has a negative effect on their body, but a random on the internet says they are full of it.

Ok, I believe the random.

Yep the myth is busted well and truly now.

The significance of travel is in the long-term effect on the career of a player. In the short-term, the effects are very hard to measure, especially nowadays considering the techniques and established routines that minimise the negative impacts conferred by such travel.

It has been documented that the increased exposure to cosmic radiation associated with regular air travel reduces life expectancy, mostly due to increased rates of cancer. So a player who travels more regularly and for longer periods of time will likely have a shorter career than a player who travels significantly less. Pavlich is the only WA based player who has played over 300 games.

So Fremantle have the same number of 300 game players in their 20 year history than Melbourne do in their 160 year history and only one less than mighty Collingwood.

Considering their short histories and the fact that it takes a 15 year career to reach 300, the WA teams are doing okay.

Yeah modern air travel is sooo arduous. I agree op, it's not a factor these days.

Hardly a statistically valuable sample size you've used there. Hawthorn are all class - Clarko outcoached Simmo and the team outplayed us.

It is a moot point anyway because nothing much can be done about it in terms of the competition per se (obviously those in the sports medicine industry might be interested in further research).

While travel has an effect in the long term, I agree that it should never be used as an excuse as to why a team performed badly on a single occasion.
Source for that claim please. A quick google search turned up something similar but applied only to cabin crew on planes who fly multiple times a week most weeks of the year. And even then cancer links were tenuous at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So every past and current player and coach in both WA teams are unanimous in saying that travelling has a negative effect on their body, but a random on the internet says they are full of it.

Long term effect perhaps but its proven that short term, the travel can be managed and in fact used to advantage.

Confused by this. If all 3 teams had exactly the same players, coach etc I could see your point but surely you can see that the reason Hawthorn won was because they are simply a better team. If they had stayed in Melbourne all finals campaign they could have won it by even more.

There's a reason why Pav, about 27 years after the Eagles came into the comp, was the first WA based player to 300 games.

Melbourne have 1. Collingwood have 2.

I wasn't aware of this. Unanimous?

Increased rates of cancer -> player likely to have shorter careers

Not withstanding that we'd all like to see a source on your cosmic radiation claim, that is a huge jump in logic. You've seriously said "people who fly often (which would be pilots moreso) are at increased rates of cancer, so players are going to have shorter careers".
Hmm...

The NFL is currently looking on having a London based team. They are currently researching the viability of such a team - looking at effects of travel, competitive balance. So far they are aiming to have a franchise by 2022...can't be all that bad considering it'd be an 8 hour flight from New York to London + customs etc.

I don't think it isn't an issue, like any small disadvantage is a disadvantage, but geez some of the stuff thrown around about it needs to he checked first. Melbourne have 1 300 game player and they seem to travel the least IIRC

Because of the effect travelling has on the body over a long period of time.

Its arguable and possibly true. Bit early yet in the WA clubs short history to get a decent sample set. Theres no firm evidence one way or the other.

Many 100 year old clubs have bugger all 300 gamers too.

Off topic anyway, this thread is about the myth that travel makes it harder to win premierships.

Last edited:
Any Melbourne club want to trade travel schedules? Thought not.

No, because then they wouldnt be in Melbourne any more.

The Eagles travel hassles are more than offset by the massive home ground advantage they get when they dont travel. Additionally because they get more practiced at the art of travelling, they are better at it than many clubs that dont travel as much, and hence always a chance to win on the road. Win-win!

Do we get a proper home ground advantage too?
Yes, against travelling interstate sides . Hawthorn got as much of a home ground advantage against us for the grand final (as we only played on that ground one other time this year ) as we did against them 3 weeks ago (they had also played at Subi once this year ). Difference is , we earned our home ground advantage , Melbourne/MCG based sides who make the grand final are guaranteed it even if they qualified lower.

Freo could definitely argue that they didn't get much of a home ground advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back