Tasmania The Pros And Cons Of A Tasmanian AFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

You said Hawthorn members/supporters would slowly vanish if Hawthorn stopped playing there.

Complete rubbish and a little insulting.

You're wrong anyway. Most Tasmanians I know and have spoke to (myself included) wouldn't dream of bailing on their AFL team. We'd just buy two memberships.
Weird. Most I know and have spoken to admit to buying Hawthorn and North memberships to ensure they continue seeing AFL football, like myself.

But you keep believing that Hawthorns Tasmanian membership wouldn't be impacted if they got replaced by a Tassie team playing games down there.

I'll just stay over here in the real world.

lol
the debt levels currently are around $4 to $5 million, that was stated in a report some where about Essendon financial report some where
some of which is from the dopping programe but mainly due to forking out $30 plus million on one of the best training and admin facilities in Australia:thumbsu:
and still has cash reserves of around just under $2 million
not bad considering the club has been an onfield basket case for over a decade

hawthorns financial status is greatly over inflated
4 grand finals in a row will attract extra sponsors plus sell extra memberships and merchandise, for the good times, but how will those sales go during the not so good years.
hawthorn rent their training facility from the AFL for $1 per season, no other club has that luxury
they sell home games to Tasmania in a lucrative deal set up by Jeff & Co
they earn the most from their poker & gaming machines out of all the AFL clubs, something that apparently will be targeted next year
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...bs-starting-with-carlton-20151127-gl9vrg.html

Meh

A $60m facility (whilst owning the Waverley Park grandstand, the Box Hill City Oval social club, Caroline Springs and Waverley Gardens) evidently is far superior to a $30m warehouse financed primarily from government grants and a flight plan.

Of course that doesnt include WHS breaches...

Weird. Most I know and have spoken to admit to buying Hawthorn and North memberships to ensure they continue seeing AFL football, like myself.

But you keep believing that Hawthorns Tasmanian membership wouldn't be impacted if they got replaced by a Tassie team playing games down there.

I'll just stay over here in the real world.

Instead of having 73k members (already 57k signed up for 2016) we'd have 65k - 73k instead

Would be a shame for the 30% of auskick age Tasmanians that have nominated Hawthorn as their supported club though

I find it strange that the afl want only one team to play games in Tasmania (hawthorn) but are thinking or wanting north Melbourne to set up An academy in tassie. What's with that? What's the point now. Tassie is hawthorn unfortunately. They have 10k members from there. That 10k would turn into 15-20k easy if they had just giving Tasmania a team of their own. I hate to say it but by the time 2021 or whenever the Hawks 4 game deal ends they'll have another 5k or more members from tassie and a team will never happen. Just a huge mistake. If by some miracle they do get a licence they'll struggle to get 10k members because everyone is supporting the hAwks. I would have liked all the smaller clubs to rotate playing in Tasmania so that not only do they make money but it leaves the door open for a tassie team. Bugger

I find it strange that the afl want only one team to play games in Tasmania (hawthorn) but are thinking or wanting north Melbourne to set up An academy in tassie. What's with that? What's the point now. Tassie is hawthorn unfortunately. They have 10k members from there. That 10k would turn into 15-20k easy if they had just giving Tasmania a team of their own. I hate to say it but by the time 2021 or whenever the Hawks 4 game deal ends they'll have another 5k or more members from tassie and a team will never happen. Just a huge mistake. If by some miracle they do get a licence they'll struggle to get 10k members because everyone is supporting the hAwks. I would have liked all the smaller clubs to rotate playing in Tasmania so that not only do they make money but it leaves the door open for a tassie team. Bugger
Afl has been trying to get hawthorn out of tassie for years

I think you've mistaken their preference for North Melbourne with Hawthorn. The AFL has been trying to push Hawthorn out of Tassie since 2010. In fact the Hawthorn arrangement with the state government has snubbed the AFL's Tasmanian outpost - AFL Tasmania...

You said Hawthorn members/supporters would slowly vanish if Hawthorn stopped playing there.

Complete rubbish and a little insulting.

You're wrong anyway. Most Tasmanians I know and have spoke to (myself included) wouldn't dream of bailing on their AFL team. We'd just buy two memberships.
From a personal point of view I'm a paid up AFL, Essendon and Geelong member. And now since last year I'm a Bulldogs member too with the Dogs sinking money into Ballarat. If they leave my membership stops.

From a personal point of view I'm a paid up AFL, Essendon and Geelong member. And now since last year I'm a Bulldogs member too with the Dogs sinking money into Ballarat. If they leave my membership stops.

Have the Bulldogs invested 15 years into Ballarat? Played significant amounts of home games, set up an office, secured the government as a major sponsor and ran annual community camps since 2001?

Thought so...

The fact that Hawthorn has had success since moving into the Tasmanian market (PF's in 2001 and 2011, a RU in 2012 and flags in 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015) will make it difficult for whoever (if anyone?) replaces Hawthorn in Tasmania

Have the Bulldogs invested 15 years into Ballarat? Played significant amounts of home games, set up an office, secured the government as a major sponsor and ran annual community camps since 2001?

Thought so...

The fact that Hawthorn has had success since moving into the Tasmanian market (PF's in 2001 and 2011, a RU in 2012 and flags in 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015) will make it difficult for whoever (if anyone?) replaces Hawthorn in Tasmania
So far it's been 2 years, yes they have set up an office in Ballarat, yes they have secured local government sponsorship and sponsors from the Ballarat region, and they have run community camps here since north were kicked out last year. So basically all you are saying the difference between Hawthorn's deal and the Bulldogs' is time and premierships?

So far it's been 2 years, yes they have set up an office in Ballarat, yes they have secured local government sponsorship and sponsors from the Ballarat region, and they have run community camps here since north were kicked out last year. So basically all you are saying the difference between Hawthorn's deal and the Bulldogs' is time and premierships?

Time (well just 15 years difference in matches played), millions of dollars in investment, the 4 flags and an existing history of premiership players recruited from Tasmania

Peter Hudson (1971 premiership player, Coleman medalist in 1968, '70, '71 and '77)
Rodney Eade (1976, '78, '83 and '86 premiership player)
Ian Paton (1978, '83 premiership player)
Colin Robertson (1983 premiership player, 1983 Norm Smith medalist)
Darren Prichard (1988, '89 and '91 premiership player)
Paul Hudson (1991 premiership player)
Grant Birchall (2008, '13, '14 and '15 premiership player)

Tasmanians have featured in 12 of Hawthorn's 13 flags. So the Dogs relationship with Ballarat is very similar to Hawthorn's presence in Tasmania :drunk:

Time (well just 15 years difference in matches played), millions of dollars in investment, the 4 flags and an existing history of premiership players recruited from Tasmania

Peter Hudson (1971 premiership player, Coleman medalist in 1968, '70, '71 and '77)
Rodney Eade (1976, '78, '83 and '86 premiership player)
Ian Paton (1978, '83 premiership player)
Colin Robertson (1983 premiership player, 1983 Norm Smith medalist)
Darren Prichard (1988, '89 and '91 premiership player)
Paul Hudson (1991 premiership player)
Grant Birchall (2008, '13, '14 and '15 premiership player)

Tasmanians have featured in 12 of Hawthorn's 13 flags. So the Dogs relationship with Ballarat is very similar to Hawthorn's presence in Tasmania :drunk:
You do realise the Dogs have only won a solitary flag sixty years ago? Unless you are saying Hawthorn fans are bandwagoners who jump on whoever is winning?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with Tassie getting a team is

1. Most people already have AFL teams, some for generations and while they say they will buy a membership and go to games this will always support their old team.

2. They already watch on tv and aren't included in the capital city ratings.

So while a team maybe able to survive at a St Kilda or Western Bulldogs level, the AFL is never going to bring a new team in AFL territory unless it's going to be a financial powerhouse.

There's enough struggling clubs already.

The issue with Tassie getting a team is

1. Most people already have AFL teams, some for generations and while they say they will buy a membership and go to games this will always support their old team.

2. They already watch on tv and aren't included in the capital city ratings.

So while a team maybe able to survive at a St Kilda or Western Bulldogs level, the AFL is never going to bring a new team in AFL territory unless it's going to be a financial powerhouse.

There's enough struggling clubs already.

Its unfortunate that this sort of self serving stuff gets trotted out.

It doesnt suit Victorian clubs to have a Tasmanian team, thats the point of it. It suits 2 clubs for the current status quo to continue.

The first thing that would need to happen is for the State Gument to decouple from the politics of Hawthorn in the economic black hole, which is Launceston.

Once its accepted that its in the states best interest to have one team, then we might statr to get somewhere. Games played in both Launceston & Hobart , maybe one day by our own team, to stimulate both tourism & the social benefits of being part of the big game we all love.

So until the Pollies & local interests see big picture possibility we're stuck.

I think the AFL are at least 1/2 way with it, thats with their desire that Tassie has one club only. That club being our own club would be the big next step.

One step at a time at least.

Its unfortunate that this sort of self serving stuff gets trotted out.

It doesnt suit Victorian clubs to have a Tasmanian team, thats the point of it. It suits 2 clubs for the current status quo to continue.

The first thing that would need to happen is for the State Gument to decouple from the politics of Hawthorn in the economic black hole, which is Launceston.

Once its accepted that its in the states best interest to have one team, then we might statr to get somewhere. Games played in both Launceston & Hobart , maybe one day by our own team, to stimulate both tourism & the social benefits of being part of the big game we all love.

So until the Pollies & local interests see big picture possibility we're stuck.

I think the AFL are at least 1/2 way with it, thats with their desire that Tassie has one club only. That club being our own club would be the big next step.

One step at a time at least.

I against Hawthorn playing in Tasmania. I'd love nothing more than for us to get out of there. So you can forget that angle.

What would a Tassie team add to the AFL financially ?

The answer is nothing, just another mouth to feed.

And speaking of self serving I assume you are like most in tassie in that you won't dump the Pies to support a Tassie team ?

Last edited:
Im fascinated by this debate.

The territory's economy is going to pass Tasmania's in the next couple years despite having a population half the size. Obviously no one is arguing for an AFL team in the NT right now…but Tasmania makes sense???

I against Hawthorn playing in Tasmania. I'd love nothing more than for us to get out of there. So you can forget that angle.

What would a Tassie team add to the AFL financially ?

The answer is nothing, just another mouth to feed.

And speaking of self serving I assume you are like most in tassie in that you won't dump the Pies to support a Tassie team ?

Tassie deserves a team, but unless a increase in population that coincides with a decent economic outlook happens it is hard to make a case.

The Cascades/Boags thingy also makes it a bit more difficult, not sure which is north or south but i don't mind the Cascades.

Maybe a Tassie team can survive with a probable smaller turnover, who knows.

Im fascinated by this debate.

The territory's economy is going to pass Tasmania's in the next couple years despite having a population half the size. Obviously no one is arguing for an AFL team in the NT right now…but Tasmania makes sense???

I guess that would mean that, like Tasmania, the NT economy & population both quite easily surpass that of Geelong.

Soooooooo? etc etc etc.:rolleyes:

I guess that would mean that, like Tasmania, the NT economy & population both quite easily surpass that of Geelong.

Soooooooo? etc etc etc.:rolleyes:

I love how you count the whole of Tasmania as one market, but if people are 10km from Geelong, you don't think they count...

And the answer remains the same as always: get yourself a football mad city 45 minutes drive down the road with a population of 5 million.

Either that or the people of Geelong are a lot more passionate in their support...After all, they're building and fully expect to fill a 36K stadium while Tas can barely manage 20K stadia.

Would love to see it happen one day.
I'd still be a North supporter of course.
However i'd also support the Tassie side as well.

Bellerive is a high quality stadium now after the upgrade.
The weather is good if you like it a bit colder.
I don't really like the heat so Tassie suits me.

Also a Tassie side would have a great home-ground advantage.
Whether they split home games between Bellerive & Aurora Stadium (only a 2hr drive from Hobart to Launceston)
Long road trips for the QLD and WA sides.
Also those sides wouldn't be used to playing in the Tassie conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back