Opinion The run to September, our ladder position after the H&A season?.

Where do finish the H&A season?

• 2nd

• 3rd

• 4th

• 5th

• 6th

• 7th

• 8th

• Miss finals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah made me feel miles better about our position.

The one thing I will say is that I agree with the criticism that close wins paper over issues in performance and we make too much of them. Of course we are just about the only team that actually gets slammed for winning close games as opposed to praise for 'having the grit to tough it out.'
They’ve mentioned Collingwood a couple of times when discussing close wins paper over deeper issues.

They’ve mentioned Collingwood a couple of times when discussing close wins paper over deeper issues.

The champion data brigade have (hoyne and to a lesser extent Kingy). Max Laughton at the foxfooty website has been talking about it for 2 years. Poor Hoyne and Max cop an unbelievable amount of abuse from collingwood fans on social media actually.

However, that's about it and majority of the media don't run with that and I can understand why - come from behind close wins are more exciting than holding on for dear life close wins. We got the same treatment in 2020 when we were winning close games and most commentary was that 'we train close games,' same for Port in 2021 when they were undefeated in close ones (and this year a bit too until the last few weeks).

Ben Dixon has declared us “sitting ducks” on talking footy and then spends the next 10 min bragging about Hawthorn🤔

It's kind of interesting, everyone would love their chances coming up against us but our mids/forward line have been in mixed bag of form and we're still winning. Since our form line is so fickle, I'm happy for it to kick in as late as possible. Hopefully it kicks in at some point as we can be ruthless when we decide to turn it on.

Surely we’ve had less close wins then the other top 4 teams
Correct. 12 point or under games this year -

Pies 5-1 (would be 6-1 if it was 13 points)
Us 3-1 (would be 3-2 if it was 14 points)
Port 6-2 (would be 7-2 if it was 14 points or less)
Dees 4-5

Dees have evened up the ledger for close wins since mid-year after starting with 'close losses' to us, port and freo.

Well make no doubt this is time to make a mark , we need a win here if we are serious challenge
Wounded pies at marvel , they carnt lose top spot , just need to get thru without injury

Must be a good chance

Listening to The Age Footy podcast on the way home tonight, and (I think) Jake Niall at the end of the Carlton discussion, starts talking about if Carlton need/want Harry McKay back, and then he starts talking about how "modern" day forward set ups work, and that successful teams really only need two key forwards, surrounded by a fleet of small forwards and halfwards. Or teams can successfully win with one key forward (and a ruck forward) and a fleet of smalls to lock the ball in the forward 50, and support the midfield.

The luxury would be we win on the weekend dees and port stumble. Then if there are players carrying injuries we could rest them for the final game. Eg neale, Charlie, Payne

The luxury would be we win on the weekend dees and port stumble. Then if there are players carrying injuries we could rest them for the final game. Eg neale, Charlie, Payne

Port vs Freo though.
No stumbling, more like stomping.

Watching some footy shows on replay this morning, if you get caught up in some of the commentary on us you would be despondent and think we are the worst 2nd placed side in history.

I have belief that if we get to September without any more injuries to vital cogs in our team and after the needed bye we are well and truly in the hunt for the flag... confident that after being hardened by 4 finals campaigns we will lift to the type of footy we played against the Demons at the MCG for 80% of the game in round 18.

Watching some footy shows on replay this morning, if you get caught up in some of the commentary on us you would be despondent and think we are the worst 2nd placed side in history.

I have belief that if we get to September without any more injuries to vital cogs in our team and after the needed bye we are well and truly in the hunt for the flag... confident that after being hardened by 4 finals campaigns we will lift to the type of footy we played against the Demons at the MCG for 80% of the game in round 18.
Still think we need that second spot to be a legitimate chance at the flag. I reckon this group has one win in them away from the Gabba come finals time. I hope for all our sake it's on GF day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have a wow factor attached to the playing style this season - when we emerged around that 2018-19, we had the run and carry, long bomb style which was quite attractive to watch. Media are now starting to see more of the same from us but are more keen to pump the tyres of say Collingwood who have a non-stop running and precise kicking style as well as Carlton lately who seem to be bringing extreme intensity to every contest.

We are in the middle tier in terms of "oh well another finals run from Lions, will they go further than a prelim". Our benchmark has gone higher which means there is very little tolerance to our finals failure these days. I understand and accept that feedback as any club in the top 4 year after year only get a 6-7 year window to have a genuine crack at flag after which the drop and rebuild will happen - Geelong being the one exception so far.

First get the top 2 and see if we can set ourselves up for a Grand final run - easiest path is playing quali and prelim at Gabba.

We need to win week 1 this year. We will have had a crazy month of sudden death like footy. Don't want another month of it.

Can anyone see a future where we beat Pies this week, only to **** the bed against a team we should beat comfortably in the last round to cost us top 2, or is that just me? Would be as funny as it would sad, given everyone just assumes we win this week, and we've locked it away,

Can anyone see a future where we beat Pies this week, only to **** the bed against a team we should beat comfortably in the last round to cost us top 2, or is that just me? Would be as funny as it would sad, given everyone just assumes we win this week, and we've locked it away,

We don't lose at home

My hope is Saints win this week which I think secures them top 8 and then Ross the Boss rests half their side for a meaningless game against us.

No truer word than when your own board slam the club regardless if they win or lose. Constructive critisism sure when justified but constant and lack of support for the club when they are 2nd on the ladder with 2 rounds remaining:think: is not a great sign of confidence.

ML, have you ever been to a football game?

Seriously, comes across like you've never had any interaction with anybody who supports a sports team

ML, have you ever been to a football game?

Seriously, comes across like you've never had any interaction with anybody who supports a sports team
No Nathan Barley .........never played a game of football nor ever been to a football game nor ever been involved in a football club at any level including memberships & supporters.:thumbsu:

Back