Toast Undefeated at the Gabba 2023 H&A

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we ever achieve that in our premiership era? I think we dropped a game to Adelaide and Melbourne in 2001 and 2002 respectively.

Nope. Even the threepeat team couldn't do this. Testament to just how well this team has rebuilt the Gabbatoir into a fortress.

Little bit different doing it in a normal season though travelling interstate every second week. This group of players can claim it as something the 3 peat team never did, whereas in 2020 it was under unique circumstances.

Yeah I think that is fair enough. Certainly have faced better opponents at home this year (2 of the top 4, 6th and 7th) whereas in 2020 we only had port at home.

We have been so incredibly lucky to watch this team have such a sustained period of success at home over the past 5 seasons.

Honestly couldn’t have imagined an undefeated home season in the leppa years. Funnily enough this year I probably spent at least half of these games frustrated that we weren’t winning by more.

Something some of us may regret in the future. These periods of success don’t come around very often and they definitely don’t last forever.

Funnily enough this year I probably spent at least half of these games frustrated that we weren’t winning by more.

Tell me about it! Always remind myself how good we have it right now and over the last half decade because I used to be happy coming away from a loss when we showed promising signs compared to sometimes being a tad disappointed in how we played after a win.

Expectations change everything in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can remember the Chris Judd led West Coast towelling us up at the gabba during that era, unsure if it was between 2001-2003 though

We had a rough run for a few games that season.

Also lost to Port at the Gabba by under a goal that year. One of their players was our nemesis and sunk us with an angled running goal in the last 30 seconds.

Can't bring his name to mind.

He was generally a pretty ordinary AFL player but always played like a genius against us

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also lost to Port at the Gabba by under a goal that year. One of their players was our nemesis and sunk us with an angled running goal in the last 30 seconds.

He was generally a pretty ordinary AFL player but always played like a genius against us

Nick Stevens?

Not sure if it is the same player but a Port Adelaide bloke called Roger James used to look like a star when he played us in that era. Used to frustrate the hell out of me.

Not sure if it is the same player but a Port Adelaide bloke called Roger James used to look like a star when he played us in that era. Used to frustrate the hell out of me.

Yep that's the one. Pain in the ass and he'll keep bobbing up to tear us a new one.

this link has that 2002 minor premiers story where he kicked the final goal.

Last edited:

Yeah that's him

Roger bloody James.

Like that friggin Bulldogs player (Matthew?) Eagleton who was a spud most of his career but had an annoying habit of kicking 60 metre running goals against the Lions every time we played the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back