Strategy The Structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Would I be right in thinking that after Walsh and maybe Smith, the next rung of pure mids are pretty even in quality?

Also, where do you reckon the quality drops off? Would it be worth splitting one of our 2nd rounders into two slightly later picks with the GC?

Spot on Rudy, at this stage Walsh and Smith are ahead of the rest. While Walsh is an exceptional player, great reader of the play, I believe Smith could be more damaging, especially resting forward

Then there is a mix of the next tier of mids, such as Jones (rate him highly), then the Hately, Valente, Sparrow, Caldwell, Bytel, Nietschke, Kennerley, Duursma, O'Halloran, Bytel, Andrews, Stack, mixed in with a large number of flankers, Rankine, Rozee, McHenry, Butters, Taylor, Foot

I would go to the draft with our second rounders unless we are using it for an established player in the 22-26 bracket. At this stage I would say it would start to drop off end of he second round, but you will have some sliders.

A few kids that I like late in the draft, Wilson & Grundy being a couple

Following is the list of players 195+cms:

Kreuzer, Cripps, McKay, TDK, Jones, Rowe, Weitering, McReadie, Lobbe, Phillips, Casboult.

Rowe aside, which of those players are going to retire this season and, more importantly, who will we delist?

I admit Cripps, as a mid, skews that number slightly but it is still 4 more than that of the Swans and Richmond.

To better balance our list I think we need to look to trade at least two and possibly three out of this height range.

You will note that this list does not include rookies.

As you said, Cripps is a mid. Macreadie is very mobile for a tall and can play a number of positions, namely wing

I think Rowe, Lobbe will come off the main list. I am starting to get the feeling that Levi might be moved on, will get back to you on that one

Kreuzer, Cripps, McKay, TDK, Jones, Rowe, Weitering, McReadie, Lobbe, Phillips, Casboult.

Rowe aside, which of those players are going to retire this season and, more importantly, who will we delist?

I admit Cripps, as a mid, skews that number slightly but it is still 4 more than that of the Swans and Richmond.

To better balance our list I think we need to look to trade at least two and possibly three out of this height range.

I've done the list by role instead of height.

Ruck: Kreuzer, Lobbe, Phillips, TDK

FWD: Curnow, Casboult, McKay

DEF: Weitering, Marchbank, ASOS, Jones, Macreadie

On the field a traditional setup will have 5 "tall roles" 2 x DEF, 1 Ruck and 2 x FWD which is roughly a third of the 18 that will take the field.

Of 44 list spots these 12 make up roughly a third (little less) as well so I would argue that this 12 talls with 4/5 FWDs, 4/5 DEFs and 3 Rucks is an ideal balance if using the ratio of 5 in 18 on the field being talls.

Of course considerations have to be made is a number of them are injury prone which might explain why we have 4 rucks on the list at the moment but I think the balance is around the mark.

As you said, Cripps is a mid. Macreadie is very mobile for a tall and can play a number of positions, namely wing

I think Rowe, Lobbe will come off the main list. I am starting to get the feeling that Levi might be moved on, will get back to you on that one

I was under the impression that Lobbe and Levi were contracted til the end of next season, is that right?

If so it's hard to see us moving either on this year.

Just a question to you: do you think that those numbers of 195+cms should be considered a height imbalance, particularly when we only have 6 players between 185 & 190cms which would be pretty close to the mean height range of players?

Just curious.

As noted Cripps plays as a mid

Kreuzer/ Phillips one of them is always on the injured list so need to keep. TDK develops in the 2s

I would keep from that list Jones FB , McKay FF. How tall Curnow / Marchbank as the other keys ?

Rowe will go , Lobbe is just 2nds depth , McReadie not sure & unfortunately Weitering has been disappointing and probably expendiable.

That leaves Casboult for depth if McKay or Charlie are injured

I was under the impression that Lobbe and Levi were contracted til the end of next season, is that right?

If so it's hard to see us moving either on this year.

Just a question to you: do you think that those numbers of 195+cms should be considered a height imbalance, particularly when we only have 6 players between 185 & 190cms which would be pretty close to the mean height range of players?

Just curious.

I believe Lobbe is OOC this year

I don't believe our list is unbalanced, it's just exacerbated by the poor quality of non talls, Mullet, Shaw, O'Shea, Graham, Kerridge and players that are coming to an end, such as Thomas

I've done the list by role instead of height.

Ruck: Kreuzer, Lobbe, Phillips, TDK

FWD: Curnow, Casboult, McKay

DEF: Weitering, Marchbank, ASOS, Jones, Macreadie

On the field a traditional setup will have 5 "tall roles" 2 x DEF, 1 Ruck and 2 x FWD which is roughly a third of the 18 that will take the field.

Of 44 list spots these 12 make up roughly a third (little less) as well so I would argue that this 12 talls with 4/5 FWDs, 4/5 DEFs and 3 Rucks is an ideal balance if using the ratio of 5 in 18 on the field being talls.

Of course considerations have to be made is a number of them are injury prone which might explain why we have 4 rucks on the list at the moment but I think the balance is around the mark.

In your list you have named 3 players who are under 195 cms (one a rookie).

My analysis was based on ten players (excluding Cripps) in the 195+cms range which I feel is unbalanced.

The raw numbers of 190+cms players are much closer to those of the top sides but our mix is 10 (plus Cripps) and 7.

My view is that we should try to reverse that. I think, whilst we have an average number of talls, we are top heavy.

Nobody has to agree with this, it's just my opinion.

In your list you have named 3 players who are under 195 cms (one a rookie).

My analysis was based on ten players (excluding Cripps) in the 195+cms range which I feel is unbalanced.

The raw numbers of 190+cms players are much closer to those of the top sides but our mix is 10 (plus Cripps) and 7.

My view is that we should try to reverse that. I think, whilst we have an average number of talls, we are top heavy.

Nobody has to agree with this, it's just my opinion.
I disagree, IMO it's flawed thinking to not include players that play the same role at 194 cm, as not every person is the same empirical evidence holds less weight as you may have someone like Kerr (who I forgot btw) who is less mobile then players who may be taller.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Casboult go if a club showed interest in him. Particularly if drafting a key forward this season, which looks likely, will happen. I don't think that will happen though as I don't think there will be interest.

I think our ruck stocks are fine. Not sure what our plans with Lobbe are. He's probably gone which means we may need another cheap ruck. Phillips quality is good but he's injury prone.

List balance is fine, it's a quality and maturity issue at the moment. A lot of fringe players from other clubs, they don't have an impact in a weak side but they fill a spot.

We've done a bit of building from the bottom, we just have to focus building from the top, this would be a good draft to hit a lot of early picks. Then focus on mature age players, free agents etc

As noted Cripps plays as a mid

Kreuzer/ Phillips one of them is always on the injured list so need to keep. TDK develops in the 2s

I would keep from that list Jones FB , McKay FF. How tall Curnow / Marchbank as the other keys ?

Rowe will go , Lobbe is just 2nds depth , McReadie not sure & unfortunately Weitering has been disappointing and probably expendiable.

That leaves Casboult for depth if McKay or Charlie are injured

Herein lies my point. If we're going to get creative then players like Weitering and (dare I say it) Mckay may be seen as possible trades. Both would probably give us a good return and allow us to trade or draft the mid size players that we currently lack.

Lot of talk on here about how we need to get 5 or 6 good mid size/age players. I just can't see how we do that without getting creative. Most of those we talk of getting rid of are virtually worthless as trades.

I believe Lobbe is OOC this year

I don't believe our list is unbalanced, it's just exacerbated by the poor quality of non talls, Mullet, Shaw, O'Shea, Graham, Kerridge and players that are coming to an end, such as Thomas

I didn't know Lobbe was OOC and if so I'd agree surplus to our needs, but makes me wonder why we took him in the first place.

I disagree, IMO it's flawed thinking to not include players that play the same role at 194 cm, as not every person is the same empirical evidence holds less weight as you may have someone like Kerr (who I forgot btw) who is less mobile then players who may be taller.

Good thing that opinions are like clackers eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herein lies my point. If we're going to get creative then players like Weitering and (dare I say it) Mckay may be seen as possible trades. Both would probably give us a good return and allow us to trade or draft the mid size players that we currently lack.

Lot of talk on here about how we need to get 5 or 6 good mid size/age players. I just can't see how we do that without getting creative. Most of those we talk of getting rid of are virtually worthless as trades.

Agree I’d keep McKay but Weitering unfortunately is a worry. Thinking Jack Watts , cut your losses early !!

Not being petulant at all and I thought I'd stated my point and backed it with figures. They were my opinions and thoughts, if you disagree then fine.
"Opinions are like clackers" adds nothing to the conversation and does nothing to back up your point.

Give me more reasons as to why you hold your opinion.

"Opinions are like clackers" adds nothing to the conversation and does nothing to back up your point.

Give me more reasons as to why you hold your opinion.

Fair dinkum. That statement was a light hearted acknowledgement that we have every right to disagree because that is what opinions are. If you wish to take some kind of offence at that then so be it.

As for reasons, I can give no more. I looked at the height profile of our list, compared it to those of the top five teams and came to the conclusion, IMO, that we are top heavy and, at some point we needed to address that.

I concede that there are other ways to look at it and other conclusions that can be drawn but that's up to you to provide alternate reasoning if you're so inclined.

Simple fact for me is that we have won one game and, whilst injuries have certainly impacted that, there are many on here that complain constantly about the balance of talls we pick every week. I provided an explanation for that, simply (again IMO) we have too many players over 195cms.

Once again, I believe our balance isn't right which is the result of a (perfectly understandable) "best available" draft policy. But for ongoing improvement I believe we need to rebalance the list by capitalising on our excesses. When we start that is a moot point but I think it has to happen at some point in the near future.

You have every right to disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back