The Tall Dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel that we got exposed big time with a lack of run tonight, and while the three ruck experiment went OK against poor sides, I don't think it's sustainable.

Up forward, we're still not taking a lot of marks inside 50, and in defence we're playing up to four talls with Brown, Schofield, Glass and Mackenzie.

How would you set up the KPPs for the next few weeks? And going into next year without possibly Glass or Cox?

Our midfield is just not supplying our forwards the quality ball they need. We are still resorting to bombing it long or doing dinky little pressure kicks to an opposition player. The only way we will improve is if the mids share it around using quality smart ball movement and then running to advantage. The KPP will then naturally be brought into the game.

I feel that we got exposed big time with a lack of run tonight, and while the three ruck experiment went OK against poor sides, I don't think it's sustainable.
It was always stupid.

How would you set up the KPPs for the next few weeks? And going into next year without possibly Glass or Cox?
Defence: Brown, Mackenzie and mobile third tall

Ruck: Naitanui and Lycett

Forward: Darling and Kennedy

Bench: Tall utility

I always assumed Simpson was just playing the three against lesser sides to gain exposure, perhaps he felt the Geelong game was a low-percentage game and played the three again. Doubtful three will play next week.

Ruck is the most interesting one. We are definately carrying Naitanui right now. But at the same time we do have to start playing Sinclair and Lycett some more, just looking forward to when Cox is gone. If they both play WAFL for most of the year you can bet they will start to look around for a club that will play them, and there are plenty of clubs out there looking for a ruckman to step straight in. Cox has been good this year - the way he is playing he could possibly go another year.

Darling to midfield is nice in idea, but today showed that when that happens our forward structure just sucks. Sit a spare man near Kennedy to cut his forward leads off and then we have no avenue to goal.

Happy enough with defence. Schofield lucky to be getting a game at the moment. Hasn't really grasped his chance.

Many here on BF know that WC are playing too tall, but the so-called experts at WC seem to be slow on the uptake and are going to seemingly have to learn the hard way, ie. have it demonstrated to them personally by means of loss after loss that so many talls fails against good teams.

WC got found lacking in run, displayed by Geelong outnumbering WC at most contests. It wasn't unusual to see 1 WC player against 2, 3 or even 4 Geelong players. The extra talls are an impediment to WC's run, which is their strength, because WC sure as s**t don't have the grunt to rely on in the midfield.

If WC had the midfield grunt, they know that they'd win contested ball more often than not. But this, sadly, isn't the case. WC need to make up for their lack of grunt with run. Going in too tall takes away run from a side that has to rely on it due to other deficiencies.

Forward: Darling and Kennedy

Bench: Tall utility
It seems Darling is the tall utility you're talking about. He's a third tall in attack, and plays some minutes in the midfield. Whilst I don't think he's up to it in the guts, he's still only a third tall up forward.

It seems Darling is the tall utility you're talking about. He's a third tall in attack, and plays some minutes in the midfield. Whilst I don't think he's up to it in the guts, he's still only a third tall up forward.
He's a forward.

WC could try Fraser McHansen at CHF.
TaTdV.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a tough call.

On one hand, we look too tall. On the other hand, are our small players competent enough such that we can take teams on 1vs1 without trying to cause a mismatch?

I think we're too tall, but our only midfielders of note today were Priddis, Wellingham, Gaff and Selwood. Not even enough for one midfield rotation (inc wings).

So we're left with the dilemma of whether to bring in more substandard smalls or try and adopt a different style to be more effective.

We went with the latter and it was a failure.

Our list is full of ******* flankers.

We need Shuey, Masten and Rosa back ASAP. Hutchings needs to be pressing for selection. Games need to be pumped into the likes of Colledge, Sheed and Tunbridge - even if it just releases our mids off flanks.

A bit ironic that we were shown up as being too tall and not having enough run with 3 rucks against another team that was playing 3 rucks in Simpson, McIntosh and Blicavs. I personally don't think the height was the problem today, although I highly doubt we will play 3 rucks next week. If NicNat is out Lycett is the next best ruckman and should keep his spot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our forward line has been a basket case all year IMO.

I mean we all know our midfield is a joke, but our forward line actually HAS talent, it just isn't set up properly at the moment or something. Even the first 3 games we played before tonight that we still won, our forward line lacked structure.

For starters we need to ditch this 3rd ruckman thing already. It's throwing everything out of whack. Go back to the drawing board and practice lacing out passes to Kennedy at training or something. Because they haven't been doing it in games.

Last edited:
Forward line definitely needs to be restructured. Geelong had 2-3 defenders grabbing hold of Kennedy at every F50 entry and we didn't make them pay for it at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back