The Times - 50 greatest Olympic moments

Remove this Banner Ad

40. Rome 1960. Ethiopian Abebe Bikila became the first runner representing an African nation to win a gold in the marathon at the Games, something he did barefoot. It was only the third time he had run the distance and he set a world record in the process. He repeated the performance in Tokyo four years later.

Sports Illustrated ranks it no. 10 in their list.

Abebe Bikila laid down the foundation stone for the great Ethiopian and African long and middle distance runners to build on.

I remember watching one of those Olympic History programs they screen on Fox Sports every now and then I found his story particularly inspiring. (if he's the dude I'm thinking of)
the one that detailed every marathon held at the games. mens and womens.

Didn't he die not long after?

maybe soon after his third games?

no better description for the guy than a pioneer.

I remember watching one of those Olympic History programs they screen on Fox Sports every now and then I found his story particularly inspiring. (if he's the dude I'm thinking of)
the one that detailed every marathon held at the games. mens and womens.

Didn't he die not long after?

maybe soon after his third games?

no better description for the guy than a pioneer.

He was the subject of one of Bud Greenspan's great Olympic docos. Bikila repeated his victory of Rome in Tokyo. He had an appendectomy 40 days before the race. This time he had shoes on. In Rome he won by 25 seconds, in Tokyo it was by 4 minutes and 8 seconds. The shoes helped and he was the first person to defend his marathon title. Only East German Cierpinski in 76 and 80, both Olympics boycotted by African nations, has been able to match him.

Bikila entered the 1968 marathon but had to withdraw after 17kms because of a bone fracture in his leg. In 1969 he had a car accident and suffered a broken neck and a spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed below the waist and confined to a wheelchair. He died of a brain hemorrhage in October 1973, aged 41.

Four shocking ommissions for me were:

1. As mentioned previously Haile Gebrselassie in Sydney in the 10,000. Was the most incredible race. Of course Channel 7 tried to f@@@ it up as usual by cutting to an ad break mid race.

2. Hicham El Guerrouj's double gold in Athens. El Guerrouj had personal demons from 2 prior olympics. It looked like it would happen again in the 1500m but this time he was able to fight back after been challenged by his great rival Lagat. He then went on to win the 5000m a couple of days later beating Kenenisa Bekele (the man who broke Gebrselassie's world records). How this isn't in the list is beyond comprehension.

C'mon Paula Radcliffe, Seb Coe and Kelly Holmes all make the list above Gebrselassie and El Guerrouj??

3. Naim Suleymanoglu winning his 3rd olympic goal in successive Olympics in Atlanta. He had to produce a new world record to do it. The Greek v Turkey contest made the atmosphere unbelievable. Confirmed himself as the greatest lifter in the history of the sport.

4. Water Polo Melbourne 1956, Hungary v USSR semi-final. The pool turned red due to the violence. This game was very soon after the Soviets had crushed an attempted Hungarian revolution.

Thats a crock of s**t. Thorpe broke world records. Yeah, he was favourite (Freeman was a clear cut favourite too), he still won multiple gold medals. Freeman won one in her entire career and broke no world records. So she lifted the flame, big deal?

People overcome huge expectations all the time. Didnt Thorpe win like 5 gold medals? Yeah, he felt no pressure at all because he didnt lift the flame. I'm sorry but her run was nothing special at all. She was expected to win and she did. I dont get the big fuss. If she broke a world record when no-one gave her a chance to win a medal, then I could understand.

The only valid point is that it was in athletics, a part of the olympics we never excelled at. Thing is, she was favourite and if she didnt win she'd have been labelled a choker and rightly so.

If you are judging the two based solely on the actual event itself, Thorpe.

You've completely missed the point of the Olympics though, and I feel sorry for you.

1. As mentioned previously Haile Gebrselassie in Sydney in the 10,000. Was the most incredible race. Of course Channel 7 tried to f@@@ it up as usual by cutting to an ad break mid race.

Agreed. That has to surely be the best finish to any kind of race ever!

2. Hicham El Guerrouj's double gold in Athens. El Guerrouj had personal demons from 2 prior olympics. It looked like it would happen again in the 1500m but this time he was able to fight back after been challenged by his great rival Lagat. He then went on to win the 5000m a couple of days later beating Kenenisa Bekele (the man who broke Gebrselassie's world records). How this isn't in the list is beyond comprehension.

C'mon Paula Radcliffe, Seb Coe and Kelly Holmes all make the list above Gebrselassie and El Guerrouj??

British author, therefore British bias.

If I actually was to construct my own personal list I would have Haile Gebrselassie's victory over Paul Tergat in Sydney in my top 10. I would find it very hard not to have that, Freeman's win and the men's 4 x 100m Freestyle relay win from Sydney in my top 10, as I was lucky enough to see them all live in the flesh.

El Guerrouj's victory in the 1500m would probably be in my top 20 maybe even top 10. The build up after his failures was intense. I reckon Bruce McAvaney provided one of his finest calls before and after this race as well as the race itself as Lagatt and El Guerrouj battled it out down the home straight and neither man willing to concede. Not sure what the hundreds of other athletics broadcaster said during the race but it's hard to believe they did a better job than Bruce.

As they lined up Bruce asked the question, "So will he go down as the best ever or the best never." As he hung on and went pass the line Bruce in his most emotional and excitable voice goes, "he's gone from the best never to the best ever." El Guerrouj then slumps to his knees and cries and prays to his god. I confess I teared up after that and even later when 7 did a tribute video of his performance to music, Bruce's call, his tears and then his sheer joy when he grabbed his baby from his wife and kissing it with this huge grin on his face. Wonderful drama and worlderful television. It was hard not to properly "celebrate humanity" at that moment.

I'd say the greatest Olympic Moment EVER would have to be the US Ice Hockey Team's Gold Medal in Lake Placid in 1980. They defeated the USSR and Finland in the medal round to capture their only gold medal in the sport.

I know that is the winter games, but they still have the five circles, so they should have a fair hearing.

I'd say the greatest Olympic Moment EVER would have to be the US Ice Hockey Team's Gold Medal in Lake Placid in 1980. They defeated the USSR and Finland in the medal round to capture their only gold medal in the sport.

I know that is the winter games, but they still have the five circles, so they should have a fair hearing.
Why would it 'have to be' the greatest moment? What separates it from the others?

I can't see why anyone outside of the United States would (or should) care.

The best 'EVER'?

Take note - most of the World doesn't enjoy seeing a country consistent with arrogance and drug cheating win Gold medals.

I would rate the multiple gold medal performances in speed skating of Heiden and Koss (spelling) well ahead of the U S A winning an ice hockey gold medal !

Take note - most of the World doesn't enjoy seeing a country consistent with arrogance and drug cheating win Gold medals.

...Says he whose user name is that of a movie character who was dancing around in stars and stripes shorts making fun of the Russian boxer, singing "Living in America" moments before he got knocked out and killed...ironic...

Okay maybe not the best ever, but the US were not given a chance to even win a game that year. It was amazing to watch. I have been at an NBA finals seventh game and NFL playoff games and the noise wasn't as loud as it was in that small arena in Lake Placid.

I thought that "The clash of the Carmens" in the Womens Figure Skating at Calgary in 1988 was a great moment, spoiled somewhat by Debbie Thomas falling and finishing third.

Another olympic moment that might be worthy of a place was the final of the Women's Volleyball in Munich in 1972, USSR vs Japan . Won by the USSR in five sets. In those days (I think that the rules may have changed since) a team could only score points off its own serve. There were 24 service changes without a point being scored in the 4th set !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One event or person I would have in my top 25 would be Vladimir Salnikov

In 1976 at Montreal, Salnikov at age 16 made the 1,500m final. In that final Stephen Holland was favourite and all of Australia hoped he would win our first gold. Holland went to the USA to train with Brian Goodell and Robert Hackett. In the end he helped them so much they won gold and silver ahead of him and broke Holland's world record by several seconds. Salnikov was 16 and finished 5th. He set a European record.

Moscow 1980. Salinkov achieved the Holy Grail of the event and the sport. He won the final and smashed the 15 minute barrier for the first time. It was a lot like the first sub 4 minute mile. The USA boycotted the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, but Salnikov demonstrated that he was far superior to everybody stunning the world as he won the gold medal in the 1500 finishing in 14:58.27. He won two more gold medals in the in the 400m freestyle and the 4x200m freestyle relay. That could make it as a moment in its own right.

After the Olympics he continued to improve his world record and at the European Championships in 1982, he set a new world record in the 1,500 m with the time of 14:54.76: the record lasted until 1991.

In 1984 the USSR boycotted the Olympics and he was a firm favourite to win the 1,500m.

Seoul 1988. In the 1986 World Championships he finished 6th or 7th in the 1,500m final and in the European Championships in 1987 he didn't even make the finals. The Soviet swimming officials didn't select him in the team for the Olympics. The Soviet sports minister intervened and insisted he be selected. He went to the games, but wasn't a favourite and the experts questioned if he could even qualify for the final.

At age 28, most people consider a swimmer "over the hill". Salnikov at one stage had a 10-second deficit to West German's Stefan Pfeiffer and East German's Uwe Dassler but was able to over come it to win the 1500m final. His time of 15:00.40 was the fifth fastest in history (Salnikov owned the top four at this time as well).

After doing press conferences, photo opportunties etc he end up at the athletes village cafeteria at midnight. Word spread round that he was in the building and several hundred athletes and officials gave him a standing ovation. No other athlete in Seoul received such a spontaneous outburst of congratulations.

If there was no boycott in 1984 he may well have been the first male and second to Dawn Fraser to win 3 consecutive swimming gold medals. Krisztina Egerszegi in 1996 finally matched Fraser winning 3 consecutive 200 m Backstroke events.

Perkins always talks about Salnikov being the swimmer that inspired him the most. If Hackett makes it in Beijing to win and is pushed as is expected from several swimmers, it should go down as one of the top 50 moments.

Perkins always talks about Salnikov being the swimmer that inspired him the most. If Hackett makes it in Beijing to win and is pushed as is expected from several swimmers, it should go down as one of the top 50 moments.
Same applies to Gary Hall Jr; also striving to acheive the same feat (3x the same event) in Beijing. (50 Metre's Freestyle)

*Sydney 2000 - shared Gold with compatriot Anthony Ervin

Would you consider (if it/either were to happen) it to be an acheivement of similar standing?

Truth prevailing - the 50 free is probably much harder to win. There's just no margin for error.

Garry Hall Jnr finished 4th at the US Swim trials so he missed making the US team. I think he had the 2nd fastest heat or semi final time.

Anyone who is able to go and win gold 3 Olympics in a row in a swimming event or in another sports has done a remarkable job. If Hall had of made it and won 3 in a row it probably would rank as high as most swimming Olympic achievements IMO. Spitz and Phelps would be the only ones that would immediately have stood out as above it but it would be the equal of several others. Same with Hackett if he wins the 1,500m.

I'll try and avoid the obvious Australian Bias - there are so many amazing stories from the Olympics that most do not know about.

How about Lisa Hartel? Equestrian Dressage. She contracted Polio at age 23 - after years of treatment, she remained paralysed below the knees, and had limited mobility in her thighs. In dressage, you are not allowed to talk to the horse, make any noise, or make 'large' hand movements. Almost all control is done with the legs - particularly the feet. Despite her handicap, Lisa Hartel won two silver medals in 1952 and 1956 - competing against the men.

In the 1924 Olympics, the Italians and Hungarians had a great rivalry going in the Sabre. There were complaints about the judging (sounds familiar?) and after a couple of days argy-bargy, protests, walkouts etc one Italian fencer challenged the Hungarian judge to a duel. A few months later, the fought each other - for real. No protective clothing, no covered tips. Both men suffered serious injuries before their respective seconds pulled them apart. So next time people whinge about the judging, just say 'Put up, or shut up'.

And for fun - Vyacheslav Ivanov won the single sculls in 1956. He was so happy at the medal presentation he tossed his medal in the air to catch it - and missed. He dived in after it, but it was never seen again. The IOC gave him a replacenment. The original is still in Lake Wendouree in Ballarat.

Would be by far the best Winter olympic moment ever but we're talking Summer olympics here...

Garry Hall Jnr finished 4th at the US Swim trials so he missed making the US team. I think he had the 2nd fastest heat or semi final time.

Fair enough. My bad.

(lesson: assumption is idiotic)

And he finished second behind Popov in 96.

From a sports romance perspetive - quite unfortunate that he couldn't qualify.

From a sports romance perspetive - quite unfortunate that he couldn't qualify.

Yeah, plus I'm a fan of GH jnr. He got a bit of bad pr before Sydney, it was taken out of context and pumped up as some great evil rival, but he was a gracious loser and he was able to take the piss from Roy and HG on The Dream. That instantly got a :thumbsu: from me. He is a character in a rather bland sport.

People forget he has won 5 gold medals and 10 in medals total. He has set up The Race Club with his old man designed to serve as a training group for some of the world's elite swimmers. To be able to train with the Race Club one must either have been ranked in the top 20 in the world the past 3 calendar years or top 3 in their nation in the past year. It also does community work especially for diabetes. In 1999 he was diagnosed with type I diabetes. After the Olympics in 2004, Hall started the Gary Hall, Jr. Foundation for Diabetes.

"The Gary Hall, Jr. Foundation is dedicated to funding diabetes research and helping those in need to ensure that all people with diabetes live a long, complication-free life through proper care."

http://www.theraceclub.net/

He runs a forum and posts in it with some interesting thoughts, especially performance enhancing drugs.

http://www.theraceclub.net/forum/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back