The Vegan debate - a meating of the minds

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it sort of does and I'm happy to take the punch in the mouth for it.

Makes it easier to argue with people admitting being a hypocrite and then following through with the argument.
The dynamic of the opposing argument has to change when you're addressing the situation and not just your own leanings.
That's the way it should be though, people treat arguments as a game they have to win with the tools that they have.. I would almost bet no one life isn't a hyprcrit.. But acknowledging your own hypocrisy incredibly rare and a trait I really admire and try my best to be concious of myself.. Otherwise you just simply aren't learning

I understand that humans are very tasty also.....but there's a difference, right?

They're just animals that don't deserve any better. God put them here for us to slaughter.
I don't believe in god so, there's that.
It's the circle of life. Lions don't get embarrassed about their hypocrisy when they chow down on an antelope. I have no issues with killing animals for food, provided they're not endangered species (you're safe thylacine60 ) but I do have an issue with killing animals for fun or fashion.

It's the circle of life. Lions don't get embarrassed about their hypocrisy when they chow down on an antelope. I have no issues with killing animals for food, provided they're not endangered species (you're safe thylacine60 ) but I do have an issue with killing animals for fun or fashion.

Yeah well. Again, we choose to 'believe' what suits our best purpose, without acknowledging the matter as a whole.

............and we're selective. So selective. We wouldn't eat our dog......or a cat.....and never a dolphin, but those cows.........Oh yummy!

Yeah well. Again, we choose to 'believe' what suits our best purpose, without acknowledging the matter as a whole.

............and we're selective. So selective. We wouldn't eat our dog......or a cat.....and never a dolphin, but those cows.........Oh yummy!
Plenty of people eat dogs. I wouldn't, because have pet dogs (no pet cow though!), but I wouldn't hold it against someone who does.

Being vegan or vegetarian is a very developed world luxury. I have friends whose family 'back home' wouldn't dream of turning their nose up at some meat, regardless of what animal it comes from, cos that's all they've got.

Mmmmmm......aaaaaaaaaaantelope!

Plenty of people eat dogs. I wouldn't, because have pet dogs (no pet cow though!), but I wouldn't hold it against someone who does.

Being vegan or vegetarian is a very developed world luxury. I have friends whose family 'back home' wouldn't dream of turning their nose up at some meat, regardless of what animal it comes from, cos that's all they've got.

So we've got choices but lean towards the side of convenience, habit and taste yet rarely engage brain for the processing of our actions.

Let's finish there but please do watch Earthlings. I dare you. :)

Pray tell how is Leo hypocritical?

What if you are hungry and dumb as a post?

Is it only awareness that makes you hypocritical? The smarter you are, the more you should make a conscious decision to forego foods your body is craving.

Totally get the humane side of this argument but if you take the time to understand that side, then you're one of the biggest problems if you don't use that understanding to action change.

99% of vegan options are unpalatable to me. I would have to struggle greatly for the sake of my morals. Good food is one of the few pleasures in life and I am here for a short time. I'd follow a mandated change but I doubt I could lead it.

Then when when you extrapolate out further, it's completely a first world problem when so much of the world just use what they can to survive. Tell those people that they shouldn't est meat if they access to it.

I do wonder how we would feel if meat wasn't such an industry.

99% of vegan options are unpalatable to me. I would have to struggle greatly for the sake of my morals. Good food is one of the few pleasures in life and I am here for a short time. I'd follow a mandated change but I doubt I could lead it.

So are other beings but we impose our will upon them because we can, so we cut and dice them, add some yummy sauce and down the gullet it goes.

We have choices but we've been conditioned and we're hooked. It's O.K. to be honest.

A vegan is someone craving attention or control, sometimes both. If eating meat is wrong then we should hurry up and tell all the animals around the world to stop as they are doing it all wrong.. We know better.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A vegan is someone craving attention or control, sometimes both. If eating meat is wrong then we should hurry up and tell all the animals around the world to stop as they are doing it all wrong.. We know better.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That may be the case for some but the blanket call is somewhat naive.

Just look at all the things we thought were cool in our lifetimes that we now view as being primitive.
We'll all get used to being vegan one day, when the notion of slaughter becomes something we'd sooner not know our fore-fathers having been capable of.

Interesting discussion as I eat brunch - Stir fried teriyaki tofu with red kale and Chinese broccoli, thanks for asking.

Compared to my childhood, I notice less people in the 'burbs are keeping chooks in the back yard. Even with the 'free range' movement, nothing trumps an egg freshly laid by one of your pets. Are we becoming too busy as a society for a humble home life?

Sustainability - if soil quality and water management are increasing challenges should we look at substituting other forms of protein such as kangaroo instead of resource intensive beef? I had barbecued kanga recently and it was delish!

Yep Harker is spot on we're very much conditioned in food choices and most things in life actually by varocious capital interes that are profit driven.
Humans and environment are the losers unfortunately.
As food as goes external packaging, it's color and taste.
The length of time it will be in the chiller or on the shelve so preservatives etc are all conditioned and controlled.
It's truly amazing what we've allowed to take place in the name of greed and enterprise.

I'm a happy meat eater, but I do believe people should be willing to understand where the food they eat comes from before they consume it. Meat is not the choice cuts you find in trays at the supermarket. It's my position that if people are going to eat meat, they should at least be willing to watch/take part in the slaughtering and butchering of the animal. It gives you more respect for the animal that's giving it's life for your sustenance, and also a greater willingness not to waste any part of the animal (if possible).

It is my opinion that urban society is generally far too dislocated from its food production (Disclaimer: I live, and have lived, in cities my entire life).

I'm a craven hypocrite. Eat flesh but am a member of Wildlife Victoria.
morally, ethically if I thought about it too much I'd be a vegetarian - so I try not to (think about it). It does seem the way of the future though - meat will be much more of a luxury. Won't someone think of the mung beans, they have feelings too?!

I'm a happy meat eater, but I do believe people should be willing to understand where the food they eat comes from before they consume it. Meat is not the choice cuts you find in trays at the supermarket. It's my position that if people are going to eat meat, they should at least be willing to watch/take part in the slaughtering and butchering of the animal. It gives you more respect for the animal that's giving it's life for your sustenance, and also a greater willingness not to waste any part of the animal (if possible).

It is my opinion that urban society is generally far too dislocated from its food production (Disclaimer: I live, and have lived, in cities my entire life).
I understand where meat comes from, my family has owned farms.

We'll all get used to being vegan one day when the notion of slaughter becomes something we'd sooner not know our fore-fathers capable of.

We won't all be vegan unless there are no meat sources left.

For a start, tell someone who lives off the conditioned grid that he can't eat meat. Someone living in a log cabin in the mountains. Someone living on an island somewhere with little access to other food sources.

Tell someone below the poverty line that they are going to have to pay exorbitant prices for supplements. Tell people to sell up their houses and stop breeding so we can return to the land and tend them for the massive amounts of extra crops we are going to have to grow to sustain a vegan population. I'm not sure that simply using grazing lands for crops is going to cut it especially as the soils are not necessarily conducive to growing.

I tend to separate the actual eating of meat from the practices that procure the meat. We've been giving little option as to how we as consumers get the meat to our table but those who can afford it go free range, organically raised etc etc, so they can feel a little better about themselves.

Vegan by necessity is possibly a third world thing. Vegan by choice seems to be largely a first world thing. Not sure the third world would give two hoots about our causes.

Please note, this is me spitballing ideas here, not necessarily 100% my thoughts or practices.

With problems ... come solutions. With solutions ... come problems.

So we've got choices but lean towards the side of convenience, habit and taste yet rarely engage brain for the processing of our actions.

Let's finish there but please do watch Earthlings. I dare you. :)
I process my brains with lemon juice, egg, bread crumbs and some salt n pepper. Chuck 'em in the jaffle iron, just like a pie :)

Last edited:

Agree with all of that. I could participate in the killing of an animal if I was living off the grid and needed to survive. I have watched the killing of animals on a farm as a child and being a suburb dwelling kid, it was distressing. Whenever I see a cattle truck, I cringe and look away.

I do like the idea of animals having a fighting chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back