Mega Thread The Western Bulldogs - The Sack Macca saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That means you should as a member demand those who hired Macca, resign in disgrace.

I think those that gave Macca the contract extension should have identified some his limitations/ issues back then and addressed them then not a year plus later.

It is 3 years since Macca started and I am not convinced 1. he has improved as a coach 2. whether he is or ever will be a good AFL senior coach.

A bit late but I'm very, very happy with the club deciding that they need to review the tactical side of the game, get new assistant coaches in, and the like.
The number 1 criticism that I've had of our coach, which can override all the other good features of his coaching, is that I believe he's just not tactically astute enough to ever become a successful coach, and there's been evidence of that is practically all of the 66 games that he's had as coach. Things like "game style", opposition analysis, team match ups, telling players how to position themselves and telling players the way in which they move and kick and deliver the ball inside 50 are all examples of what are significant tactical weaknesses, and GWS game was the best example of that in how we, statistically, played so well, but tactically, we were not able to mish-mesh that "playing well" into a cohesive unit that would get the end scoreboard result.

Hopefully we see some very big tactical improvements to come in 2015.

Well they haven't come back to apologise, so as predicted, they have disappeared back into their holes.
Did you honestly expect any different?
We have one bloke complaining all year that the only reason Higgins was in the team was because McCartney was mates with his old man and now they're using the fact that Higgins is leaving as ammunition against that same coach they accused of favouritism.
1378102_516063131816996_1068347113_n.jpg

I think those that gave Macca the contract extension should have identified some his limitations/ issues back then and addressed them then not a year plus later.

It is 3 years since Macca started and I am not convinced 1. he has improved as a coach 2. whether he is or ever will be a good AFL senior coach.

No, until they win a premiership no one knows whether any of them are any good
And then after they win one, no one knows whether any of them have the passion to get another

What are you, a relative of Scotty's or what?
In all things we must ask ourselves cui bono when muck is raked. Maccas appointment and subsequent retention was a disappointment to many with aspirations I'm sure. I'm happy with it though and that's the main thing.

Last edited:

Demand his sacking next time you run into Peter Gordon. Tell him you're not the only Bulldog member who feels this way.

How will they know if you don't tell those responsible for the club how much the club has become a train wreck.

A bit late but I'm very, very happy with the club deciding that they need to review the tactical side of the game, get new assistant coaches in, and the like.
The number 1 criticism that I've had of our coach, which can override all the other good features of his coaching, is that I believe he's just not tactically astute enough to ever become a successful coach, and there's been evidence of that is practically all of the 66 games that he's had as coach. Things like "game style", opposition analysis, team match ups, telling players how to position themselves and telling players the way in which they move and kick and deliver the ball inside 50 are all examples of what are significant tactical weaknesses, and GWS game was the best example of that in how we, statistically, played so well, but tactically, we were not able to mish-mesh that "playing well" into a cohesive unit that would get the end scoreboard result.

Hopefully we see some very big tactical improvements to come in 2015.

We need to see improvements in lots of areas not just tactical improvements but yes that would be a start.

I don't think the exponential improvement will come from 2014 to 2015 that will be required to justify the previous 4 years of Macca's term.

The review to me just acknowledged and confirmed in the 3 years of Macca term some of the most important aspects of coaching tasks/role such as tactics of game , game style, dealing with players have been non existent to a large degree.

Begs the question what has been doing in last 3 years? (apart from finishing down the bottom and getting some early picks)

I have just read some of the articles regarding the review etc.

Sounds to me that we are a coaching training facility for coaches.

Hope and Garlick and Co hop on these sites to see that what came out in the media regarding this review was rubbish. Embarrassing to be precise.

I have just read some of the articles regarding the review etc.

Sounds to me that we are a coaching training facility for coaches.

Hope and Garlick and Co hop on these sites to see that what came out in the media regarding this review was rubbish. Embarrassing to be precise.
Don't read too much into those articles Dog 36, the media has to make a story out of everything, nor do they like when a football club gives them the middle finger.

I'm really getting a kick out of people jumping at shadows in this thread.
Somehow, "helping McCartney a little in the box" has become "he's entirely useless at everything, so he needs all the help in the world". Maybe a slight bias in reading those articles, reading between the lines only works when you have an objective mindset.

I'm really getting a kick out of people jumping at shadows in this thread.
Somehow, "helping McCartney a little in the box" has become "he's entirely useless at everything, so he needs all the help in the world". Maybe a slight bias in reading those articles, reading between the lines only works when you have an objective mindset.

I don't read it as the review just identified Macca needs a LITTLE help in the box as you put it and it also depends on ones definition of help in the box is that limited to game day or a lot more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't read it as the review just identified Macca needs a LITTLE help in the box as you put it and it also depends on ones definition of help in the box is that limited to game day or a lot more.
Re-read the rest of my post and maybe you'll understand why you read it that way. Confirmation bias.
We are only adding one extra assistant. And we still have the smallest amount of assistant coaches in the AFL.

Where are those who assured us that McCartney would be sacked at a Board meeting to be held yesterday?

There was no Board meeting yesterday and of course no coach sacking and therefore no credibility for the "sack Macca" crew.
No one assured anything. The rumours where always reported as rumours.
One thing that hasn't changed is that Bmac is still a dud.

What about McKenna or Sanderson as an assistant coach?
Yes We should ask them how about we pay you half the price or less to do basically the same job you were doing you got the sack.
You won't be the boss but you will be mentoring a guy 20 years or so your senior.
Looks mighty enticing

Last edited:
2006 Bomber gets "the review"
2007 geelong stellar year - premiership
Bomber safe

2007 Eade gets "the review"
2008 team undefeated 10 rds makes top4 reaches prelim
Eade safe

2014 BMcCartney gets "the review"
2015 better be good or...
BMac gets the shaft after rd15

Im happy the board and club have finally defined a high standard to which the coaching staff is held responsible
if he is the messiah then deliver us forward
if he is a false prophet he will be gone at years end

the list is solid
and the key players are locked in
lets work hard to recruit well and hit the preseason track full tilt
the rest will take care of itself now that we have identified the problem
(and publicaly admitted that the sun doesnt shine out of our coaches arse as some on BF would have you believe)

HAVE A GREAT SUMMER GUYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back