Things That s**t Me (Video Game edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Been on a Duke Nukem 3D binge lately. Have to say i was stuck on one section where it had a few small ledges in a row where you couldn't get much of a run up to jump. Shits me when you have your small run up and press space bar to jump and nothing happens and you just tumble off the edge to your death. I pressed jump for ffs, just jump!

I've recently been playing the original X-COM game. Great game, very atmospheric, very creepy too! However, it bugs me no end that my troops have woeful accuracy and yet the aliens seem capable of 1-hit kills almost at will.

Playing NBA2k14 on PS3 at the moment. Two serious issues are doing my head in.

- The game makes the levelling up of your player an unspeakably slow grind in order to try and make you spend extra real life dollars to buy "virtual currency" to speed up the levelling process.
- Because of this virtual currency system, the game insists on always being online and constantly saving to the online 2K cloud server which can often take literally minutes at a time.

Are 2K Sports trying to outdo EA as biggest campaigners?

Playing NBA2k14 on PS3 at the moment. Two serious issues are doing my head in.

- The game makes the levelling up of your player an unspeakably slow grind in order to try and make you spend extra real life dollars to buy "virtual currency" to speed up the levelling process.
- Because of this virtual currency system, the game insists on always being online and constantly saving to the online 2K cloud server which can often take literally minutes at a time.

Are 2K Sports trying to outdo EA as biggest campaigners?

VC is a pain in the bum. I'm pretty burned out on 2k14 after playing the s**t out of it so haven't done any of this for ages, but does the companion nba2k app on iphone/android work on PS3? I have the PS4 version and managed to on average get 1000VC from just selecting envelopes every day and several hundred from the tipping (obviously not available now). Another cheapo way I found to get VC was to start a new myGM game. When you first set up the season make sure to turn off things like injuries, progressive fatigue, automate changes etc. Chose a team like the Heat, Spurs or Thunder then mash through the convo with the owner and when you get to the calender go to the very end and hit simulate the whole thing. Takes about 5 mins and each time I ended up with as little as 800VC or as much as around 2500VC.

Games need to start implementing a button that just autosaves. I think pc games have it where its an f5 key for example but would be nice for console to have it too. Instead of pressing start save choose save file

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I have an 8.5GB update for Red Orchestra 2 MP sitting in my Steam library. Why is it so big PAdman ?

They added a huge amount of free content. New maps, new weapons, new game modes, new tanks, a huuuuge balance patch.

If you haven't given it a proper go, now is a good time to give the game a crack. There's heaps of active Aussie servers and a lot of them use headsets and team work which makes it more fun.

They added a huge amount of free content. New maps, new weapons, new game modes, new tanks, a huuuuge balance patch.

If you haven't given it a proper go, now is a good time to give the game a crack. There's heaps of active Aussie servers and a lot of them use headsets and team work which makes it more fun.
Ah cool. I'll jump on once I get cable and finish downloading the patch.

Dunno if it shits me so much, as I think it's a cool feature, but online leaderboards like the ones on Forza 5 and Watch Dogs are deflating. Think you do pretty well in a mission or a race, pretty proud of yourself... check the online leaderboard and you're sitting 876,022nd. Reminds me how much I suck at games even if I do enjoy them.

It can be deflating for sure, depending on the game. On some of the Xbox Live Arcade titles i'd focus on improving my score bit by bit eg: in paperboy. While my position in the overall leaderboard was only going up in increments, i was routinely in the top 5 in the weekly leaderboards occasionally being #1 for the week. I'd imagine that if people abandoned playing it i would be #1 every week from now on. Likewise in Bomberman Live, i was a late starter to the game, gradually became addicted and rose up the overall leaderboard (gradually getting inside the top 5) and was regularly 1st on the weekly leaderboard. If i was playing it to the same level today i'd be way ahead in 1st place in the overall leaderboard tally.... sadly i do have a life so i can't play it for hours on end.

The worst are the online leaderboards on mobile app games. All the top scorers are hackers who cheated their score, so you don't really know how you rank.

If anyone can beat 67,984 on 2048 let me know

I am wary of manual save games.

I still recall going 6 hours of a sesh of fallout 3 without saving the saving mid firefight for some reason as I was about to die.

Damn i'd hate that. And it wouldn't really hit home until you reload that previous save and you go through in your mind all the missions you did up until the point you died. 6 hours of lost progress would honestly be enough for me to put the game down and move onto something else for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back