This is not the end. This is what defines the era

Remove this Banner Ad

xraycat

Debutant
Aug 27, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I am tired of hearing everyone talk about this being the end of an era. Maybe I am in denial, but I don't believe it.

• We finished 2 points off the top of the ladder with the best percentage by a fair margin
  • We have an incredibly talented list that has been the envy of the comp for the past 4 years
  • We got some games in to some genuinely talented kids
  • We missed out on another grand final by 1 game

It is not like we scraped in to the top 4 and went out in straight sets. We are still a dominant force of the competition.

Our vision was sustained success, a genuine era. Now is not the time to throw everything out the window and rebuild as other clubs have in the past. Now is the time to show the balls we have in the past and continue with our plan. We began the transition to the new generation this year and will continue it next year. We will come back stronger, fitter & smarter and we will have the chance for another flag next year.

This loss should not be looked as the end of an era, rather, the moment which will define it. Next year we have the opportunity to stand up and show everyone that we are not finished. We have not got to where we are by doing what others have done. We have made our own path. We had the balls to build a successful team without bottoming out. We developed a game plan against everything which was being done at the time. We dared to dream and we have made history. Next year our journey continues and we will show the comp once again that we truly are the greatest team of all.

Without Ablett, it's over.

even with him it's probably over, we'll still be good, but only able to snatch a flag if it's a weak year.

There are two teams than are better than us, so we're still up there. If we can create a game plan that is more defensive but retains our blistering attack, we're in with a chance.

As has already been pointed out, it will be difficult without Ablett and Ling may have to be re-purposed, perhaps as a forward.

Totally agree...

If you see my post in the revamped side for 2011 thread, i reckon there'll be minimal changes, however some pace will come into the side with the likes of T.Hunt, Menzel, Duncan, Christensen etc...

Rooke and Ling to go forward and add some grunt down there...

Just need to tinker the game plan slightly and get used to not always having the ball in our hands...

We won't be as dominant next year, but still have the talent there to snatch a flag from 3rd or 4th...

Pies wanted it more than us this year, thats what it came down to... we nearly beat Saints and if so would have been in anopther GF...

i'm excited for next year because i know everyone will have written us off, but i'm quite confident we'll be right up there...

For me the ruck is where we need to improve... If Ablett left (when he does), and Blake leaves and Milburn and Ottens hang up the boots i'd like us to have a look at Sam Jacobs from Carlton... A mobile big-man with either Mooney/West/Dawson as back-up...

I'd also like to point out that Collingwood haven't won it yet, and the AFL is very likely to change the interchange rules which will significantly impact on the Collingwood game-plan. Now i'm not diminishing what Collingwood have achieved this year. They have adjusted amazingly well from last year's PF loss. They recognised their weaknesses and acted accordingly, whilst figuring that high rotations could give their list a huge advantage. MM bet the farm and may well have won. But a 50% reduction in rotations (150+ down to a cap of 80) and one less available player on the bench (3 interchange plus emergency sub) as proposed means they simply can't "swarm" as they did on Friday night for 4 quarters.
We certainly have to learn from our losses this year to the two best "frontal pressure" teams, but the end of the world is not nigh.
Relax guys...we're still in this.

the AFL is very likely to change the interchange rules which will significantly impact on the Collingwood game-plan.

Correct. Also, the loss of Mick Malthouse will affect them a lot more than people seem to think. What he has done for that club is phenomenal.

I'd also like to point out that Collingwood haven't won it yet, and the AFL is very likely to change the interchange rules which will significantly impact on the Collingwood game-plan. Now i'm not diminishing what Collingwood have achieved this year. They have adjusted amazingly well from last year's PF loss. They recognised their weaknesses and acted accordingly, whilst figuring that high rotations could give their list a huge advantage. MM bet the farm and may well have won. But a 50% reduction in rotations (150+ down to a cap of 80) and one less available player on the bench (3 interchange plus emergency sub) as proposed means they simply can't "swarm" as they did on Friday night for 4 quarters.
We certainly have to learn from our losses this year to the two best "frontal pressure" teams, but the end of the world is not nigh.
Relax guys...we're still in this.

Yup yup, completely agree. If we can keep Ablett, we have another shot. Players such as Taylor and Enright and so forth were in pretty bad form approaching finals. Get these guys confidence up throughout the season and we'll be flying. Not to mention get Mackie back to how he was a couple of seasons ago, gain improvement from T.Hunt and Varcoe and whatnot, we're right back in the mix.

You guys have been great....but a lot has to go right. Premierships are not easily won, each year you have to be in the perfect storm.

A famous Groucho Marx quote goes "Time wounds all heels".

The inevitable has happened to every great team. Brisbane, who I would say were unmatched in the modern ear since the Hawks of the 80s felt the pinch of age. Essendon, Adelaide, West Coast. Each era has passed. So too will Geelongs, if not next year, then the following for sure.

The stage is set for a lull.....it's all about striving for the next perfect storm, and there are a lot of up and comers.

You guys have been great....but a lot has to go right. Premierships are not easily won, each year you have to be in the perfect storm.

A famous Groucho Marx quote goes "Time wounds all heels".

The inevitable has happened to every great team. Brisbane, who I would say were unmatched in the modern ear since the Hawks of the 80s felt the pinch of age. Essendon, Adelaide, West Coast. Each era has passed. So too will Geelongs, if not next year, then the following for sure.

The stage is set for a lull.....it's all about striving for the next perfect storm, and there are a lot of up and comers.

You make some good points.
TBH I think if we hadn't lost in 2008 we wouldn't have won in 2009. Hubris would have been unstoppable. Obviously we would rather have won on Friday and given ourselves a shot at the Saints again, who we really had prepared for all year, but the smashing by Collingwood will force us to change for the better. A flag in 2010 and we would undoubtedly have rested on our laurels even more.

Yes there will and must be changes and think that it is time for the mighty Ottens to retire due to repeated injuries. Yes we must play the kids. BUT until we find a spiritual leader to replace Scarlett he must stay.
We were down and out last year, at the end of the h&a season, until his BBQ with the players. When I read that he had said that Mackie should play I felt a chill. When Mackie wasn't named it got worse.
Do not underestimate his influence at the club.

It will be difficult. There's no doubt that our gameplan has been found out and whilst it's evident that St. Kilda and Collingwood know how to beat us now, I believe that teams will begin to try to emulate the way these teams are able to negate our attack. So, it is pertinent that we change things next year and put in a hard, focused pre-season.

We know that last year, whilst Collingwood were working on improving their fitness and working on their structures, Geelong gave their players extra time off and the aura around the club was far more relaxed. The whole attitude this year has been complacent and arrogant. The belief was that they could remain the best without putting in the work required to remain up there with the best.

It's going to be a struggle to compete with Collingwood regardless of what we do in terms of our game style. On Friday night, the disparity between their speed and pressure and ours was remarkable. I worry that our older players are just too slow and those that possess the pace such as Byrnes and Stokes aren't good enough defensively to generate the pressure that Collingwood is.

Ottens is an interesting one. Everyone seems to want him gone and I understand he hasn't been great as of late but what is the alternative? Blake looks to be gone and he wasn't good enough as it was, the likes of Dawson, West and Vardy don't look up to carrying the ruck by themselves when they have had very little time at AFL level.

I dont think we are as far off the mark as a lot think we are.
Sure we got thumped by Collingwood, but look at their run - they had a week off after what was a piss easy game for them, whereas we played two games in a row, one we should have been awarded with but didnt play a good enough first quarter.

If the cats had of beaten the saints and got the week off, we would have beaten the dogs and been up against the saints or pies after they played a brusing prelim.

....really, 4 points in the QF decided our fate.

But having said that, if we had of won the flag this year, I think not enough new blood would come into the list next year as will obviously happen now, so it may well be a blessing in disguise.

Also, consider Collingwood's losses this year...

Round 4 Saints 28 points
Round 9 Cats 36 points
Round 10 Lions 8 points
Round 22 Hawks 3 points

Shows that it has been a well contested year by the top three teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what the brownlow shows that we peaked early
our players did not have the fitness or commitment at the pointy end of the season

if players ned part of the preseason off, that is fine, but work them as hard when they come back, and don't play them in the first 5-6 rounds

this gets their fitness up, and also gets the younger players up

we all thought king was gone, but went on to be very valuable for the saints (injury free)

ablett is key to a serious premiership attempt, but given he is going and the picks will come through in 3 years, it seems we will not bottom out when there is minimal chance to effectively improve through the draft

I agree it would define us as one of the greats, etc. but can they really do it?
I have doubts. We have been so lucky to follow the Cats when so many great players have been at the club but as Ive said before talent is borrowed , no one gets to keep it for ever.

Yes we finished second but looking at some of our losses can be more enlightening than the how many wins we had. To many losses on big grounds. Too many losses to our main competitors (Saints and Pies). Other teams will advance next year and our guns will be another 12 months older.

Our only chance would be something that has rarely happened at the Cattery. If we can do a recharge of the teams batteries with an infusion of youth. But not just youth in to get games under the belt , youth that play a bit better than expected. If we can bring in some players that step and play just like Selwood in his first year then we would have a chance to do a "Teddy". Imagine Vardy comes in a plays out his socks as a ruck follower , even just for a year or Weston comes in and plays like a quicker version of Ling or if Brown comes in and plays like Riewoldt in his first year.

I feel if persist with our tried and trues that we will not even be top 2 next year and we will be another 12 months of wasted games that could have gone into the kids. Corey and Rookes knee will not return to 4 years ago. Milburn is not getting any younger etc, etc

I agree it would define us as one of the greats, etc. but can they really do it?
I have doubts. We have been so lucky to follow the Cats when so many great players have been at the club but as Ive said before talent is borrowed , no one gets to keep it for ever.

Yes we finished second but looking at some of our losses can be more enlightening than the how many wins we had. To many losses on big grounds. Too many losses to our main competitors (Saints and Pies). Other teams will advance next year and our guns will be another 12 months older.

Our only chance would be something that has rarely happened at the Cattery. If we can do a recharge of the teams batteries with an infusion of youth. But not just youth in to get games under the belt , youth that play a bit better than expected. If we can bring in some players that step and play just like Selwood in his first year then we would have a chance to do a "Teddy". Imagine Vardy comes in a plays out his socks as a ruck follower , even just for a year or Weston comes in and plays like a quicker version of Ling or if Brown comes in and plays like Riewoldt in his first year.

I feel if persist with our tried and trues that we will not even be top 2 next year and we will be another 12 months of wasted games that could have gone into the kids. Corey and Rookes knee will not return to 4 years ago. Milburn is not getting any younger etc, etc

This is the heart of the matter right here. We didn't win against St. Kilda at all, and Collingwood nailed us twice at the pointy end of the season. We can't just kick into 2011 with the same personnel and game plan, look at Hawthorn's 09. They got kicked from pillar to post when they trotted out the same plan, and a couple of injuries made them absolute toast - teams had spent all offseason working them out, just as they did with us this year.

I agree with many of you.
We didn't want it as much as the Saints and the Pies simple as that.
It's been unbelievable how long we have been up for but you could just see some players starting to lack motivation and interest on more than a few occasions this season. After a loss like that the hunger should return for next season which will help but we will need a lot of things to go in our favour to pinch a flag next year.

A lot of it is up to Bomber too in his final year. Does he have the energy and longterm vision to change things or just hope for the best with the same plan and the older players. Perhaps this is where Sanderson and Lappin start to shine.

I welcome the challenge, go cats. Chicken little types can go back to where they came from.

I don't think the Cats are finished just yet, with a bit on tinkering with the squad and game plan, i see no reason why we can't have a crack at the big one for the next 1-2 years. The only threat i see is Collingwood, teams like the Saints and the Bulldogs are pretty much going down the same path as us. Sydney and Freo will be good again next season, will be an interesting year.

Even though Im not a Geelong fan I will say this.

From 2000 to 2010 I am impressed with Geelong. Im actually more impressed that Frank Costa was patient and didnt give in and try to change the plans.

When you think about it... in the end of 2006 there was a chance that Mark Thompson was a chance to be sacked and Cam Mooneys future at Geelong was questioned. Also steve Johnson did something stupid at the start of the 2007 season and even though you did lose to Port at skilled with 4 cats players out you got port back in the end in Grand final day..

Its interesting how things turn around in one season. With the team Geelong had between 2007 and 2009 you at least won 2 flags and this super team you assembled deserved at least that. I have watched Geelong obiviously. Even with Gary Ablett Jr injured in some of those games you still won most of those games.

Its Just a question on what Thompson and the Geelong board thinks though. Would they want another tilt or 2 at the flag or should they go for a rebuild?

Even if Ablett leaves Geelong and heads to Gold Coast I still reckon the cats are still a strong team. I know there are a few key guys in their 30s right now, I can see geelong hang around as flag contenders for at least another 2-3 years then rebuild from scratch.

I think we need to have faith in the footy department. Wells , Bomber and Co have rebuilt the team over a long period with reasonable draft picks not high first rounders. The game style we have with a rejig and change of a few personell wilL be fine . When we beat the Pies in round 9 we kicked the ball r more than we handballed and it seemed to work I think we should do this more in our games as we are a good kicking side. I thought not just on friday night but at various stages this year we looked slow so im sure they will address it . Also attitude is a huge thing I feel for this group and I think some of the players carried a less than acceptable attitude into this finals campaign. Fitness will be addressed too I think you will see the older guys doing full pre-seasons this time around at times on Fri night we were not even running to pick up our men or creating options this was very unlike Geelong. The second quarter against the saints was very similar to what collingwood did to us in the first half no contest, no system going forward, lathargic and slow. We will be ok

Remove this Banner Ad

Back