This is the 40k milestone post, but not what you're expecting.

I bet you didn't expect that, did you?

• Of course I did!

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • What the whatting what?

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Well, no. I was hoping for more jokes.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • No, but good on you! (Thanks!)

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • Jesus, I didn't need to hear your life story.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I am 12.

Votes: 26 41.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the pics captured of Portia from the above article:

546628_361099597300722_1553873656_n.jpg

Hahaha, you idiots.

I have been posting here just as long as anyone, before we even had a Port Board but who would've thought............

I had respect for you before but this thread has just increased the respect ten fold, that took guts!

Same as everyone else, really shocked when I read it, but very impressed with Porthos'/Portia's courage in posting this. Always enjoy reading your posts, and look forward to reading another 40,000. All the best with your journey and the challenges that lie ahead for you.

I really need to come into BDC more often.

What a ******* thread.

Amazing.

I echo everything else said in this thread and look forward to continuing to like all of your posts.

Found this in an op shop today. Picked it up for the author (19th-century weirdo romantic/proto-modernist) and the publisher (Kingston Classics, an Australian sort-of-book-club). Didn't even notice the cover until I got
it back to the shop.

Don't drop the fencing lessons, Portia. They're bound to come in handy for the uppity woman you're gonna be.

mademoiselledemaupin.jpg

Sandola: Downloading the ebook now! :)

Ok reading the second Hunger Games book now, just saying

I hate the Portia character and now and forever linked her with you and your posting

I couldn't object to anything Joel McHale said

Ok reading the second Hunger Games book now, just saying

I hate the Portia character and now and forever linked her with you and your posting

No spoilers, I'm about to read it once I get through the behemoth that is book 5 of Game of Thrones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2006 I went to Brisbane/Gold Coast several times and listened to ex Doug Anthony All Stars guitarist Richard Fidler's new radio program on 612 ABC Brisbane, the Conversation Hour. It was basically a 1 hour conversation with a guest, sometime 2 guests and occasionally 2 guests x 1/2 hour interviews each. A conversation with Dr Karl in late 2006 had me enthralled. I wished 702 Sydney would cover it. In 2007 they took the program, which is broadcast at 11am. When I came back to Adelaide in 2010 I found myself regularly either streaming it live or listening on pod cast. Thankfully 891 picked it up last year when the bald brothers split up and Matt and Dave went to the breakfast timeslot. Its on at 11am.

In today's program Fidler, whose show is now called Conversations with Richard Fidler, spent the hour talking to Chinese-Australian journo Ben Law who is openly gay and has written some very funny stuff about his Chinese parents as well as gay issues and social issues. Law has written a book called Gaysia about the different attitudes to gays in different Asian countries and he reckons Asia is the most gay friendly continent.

For about 10 minutes the conversation turned to Thailand, the lady boys and how their annual beauty pageant is now a massive thing, but also the very open attitude that the Thais have to people who are transgender. Law talked about how at schools even in rural Thailand have boys, girls and in-between toilets. How the Thais allow young people to search out their sexual issues and if the adolescents believe they are transgender then medical authorities will issue them with the relevant hormone suppressant drugs at a young age believing that if the kid knows what his true gender is and they provide the pharmaceuticals before puberty then the "switch over" process is a lot easier for the individual involved rather than waiting do it in their 20's, 30's 40's. It was interesting to see how one country handles the issue, completely different to the one next door in Chinawhere everything about non heterosexuality issues is completely suppressed. Once again it highlights how foolish we are in the west, were too many of us say those Asians (ie Orientals), they are all the same.

At the moment the conversation and the relevant links is at the front and centre of the Conversations home page.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/sites/conversations/?ref=banner

it's hardly surprising that asia is the most gay/trans friendly continent. the root of most homophobia is in the abrahamic religions (christianity/judaism/islam), which most east asian countries have had much less exposure to than everywhere else.

as for china, you can blame the europeans for that too. from wikipedia:

Homosexuality in China historically was regarded as a normal facet of life[1] and the existence of homosexuality in China has been well documented since ancient times. Many early Chinese emperors are speculated to have had homosexual relationships, accompanied by heterosexual ones.[2] Opposition to homosexuality and the rise of homophobia did not become firmly established in China until the 19th and 20th centuries, through the Westernization efforts of the late Qing Dynasty and early Republic of China.[3]

Just saw this. Figured it was fair to post my random thoughts about yourself at this point despite being a random, but ehh who doesn't like compliments from strangers ^^

I'm going to admit I really didn't like your posts when I first came to bigfooty, as funny as you were we were often on different sides of the battle, particularly when it came to Brett Ebert haha. However in the recent history of bigfooty its all changed. I no longer think of you as a grumpy middle aged guy, who can write particularly well and am honestly ashamed - well, a little disappointed - that I ever did. Recently I started seeing the brilliant sense of humour, and sharp wit for it was, and to be quite honest your love for the shitty TV shows I watch only helped. I can quite honestly say that when one of my posts was "liked by Porthos" I thought "I've won bigfooty" - of course I quickly noticed you were liking a lot of posts, but that's beside the point!

Anyway, as I have had very little interaction with yourself even on a not so personal internet level I thought I'd tell you a boring, and possibly not so relevant - but I'll try to make it so - story about why I started watching suits.
One of my best friends showed it to me over a year ago now, and demanded I watch it. I didn't. He kept telling me to watch it, and I didn't. Everyone else told me to watch it, and I thought about it but couldn't be bothered. But then I saw that you had changed your avatar to "hamster guy"* and I figured that it must be good. Of course this may have happened if just anyone had changed their avatar, or said something about the show, but I like to believe it is because I rate your sense of humour as close to mine - which is perfect, obviously. :p
I strongly believe that you can tell almost everything about a person from what they find funny or not funny, too far or not too far, and so on. So when I say that I rate your sense of humour, it means that I believe you are a good person, which IMO matters more than anything.

Anyways, I hope I don't come across as too weird, but I do believe that congratulations are in order and its not like I'll get another chance to tell that weird story to you. Its bloody fantastic to hear you are enjoying life, and I very much hope that the good times continue for you.

#fanboylife

*"I don't like Hamster Guy" - My girlfriend.

For about 10 minutes the conversation turned to Thailand, the lady boys and how their annual beauty pageant is now a massive thing, but also the very open attitude that the Thais have to people who are transgender. Law talked about how at schools even in rural Thailand have boys, girls and in-between toilets. How the Thais allow young people to search out their sexual issues and if the adolescents believe they are transgender then medical authorities will issue them with the relevant hormone suppressant drugs at a young age believing that if the kid knows what his true gender is and they provide the pharmaceuticals before puberty then the "switch over" process is a lot easier for the individual involved rather than waiting do it in their 20's, 30's 40's. It was interesting to see how one country handles the issue, completely different to the one next door in Chinawhere everything about non heterosexuality issues is completely suppressed. Once again it highlights how foolish we are in the west, were too many of us say those Asians (ie Orientals), they are all the same.

At the moment the conversation and the relevant links is at the front and centre of the Conversations home page.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/sites/conversations/?ref=banner

My brother-inlaw has been working in and out of Manilla the last 18 months and has mentioned on many occasions (especially when he first started working there) about the lady boys and how he finds it very hard to tell who is what. I believe in Manilla they call them Shimi's (sp?) . In fact there has been numerous times he's found himself standing at urinal next to a shimi thinking damn that's a hot bloke :) .

It is simply amazing that after this thread we have all just moved from Porthos to Portia so seamlessly.

It wasn't that hard was it Portia?

People on here are far more mature than I thought.....

and yes I realise there are double entendres in my post.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back