HB: Woods         McPharlin     Hayden

C:  Headland      Hasleby       Carr

HF: McManus       Polak         Farmer

FF: Medhurst      J.Longmuir    Simmonds

R:  Sandilands    Pavlich       Bell

I:  Schammer      Cook          Webster      Croad

E:  T.Longmuir    Walker        Koops

Backline:

To be honest, I see our backline as our strength. We have a good mix of defenders capable of playing on both tall and small forwards, including McPharlin as our 'athletic' type defender and Haddrill as our 'old-fashioned' type defender. Not to forget Parker who can play on all types of forwards and never gives his opponent an inch; as well as Hayden, Woods and Grover who will not only shut down a small-medium sized forward, but will also provide great run and drive out of the back half.

Midfield:

Our midfield has a good blend of pace, foot skills and leadership, but we need to find bigger bodied, tougher players who can win the ball in congested stopages. When we are losing the clearances, our midfield rely on the opposition turning the ball over in our backline and then finding space on the wings to receive the ball from our backline. This gameplan comes unstuck when playing against a seasoned side with good foot skills, or on a smaller ground. Hasleby is generally very good in the clearances due to his natural football brain, but allowing him to spend extra time in the weights room (as well increasing his pace off the mark) wouldn't do any harm either as his tackles tend to slip too easily. I really believe another inside, youngish midfielder, not afraid of the physical side of the game with great poise would really assist our midfield. Steven Armstrong fits the bill quite nicely but I get the feeling we'd have to give too much to obtain him.

Carr is good at negating an opposition player, but can also be very damaging in his own right when playing as an outside midfielder, which is a valuable aset to have. Headland will need to step up to another level next season and other players will need to play with the hardness and intensity of Macca, Cook and Bell.

When people tell me we should play Pavlich as a key forward, I tell them to think what our midfield would be like without him. Our current midfield is good enough to match the top sides, but without Pav it would be a completely different story. We'd need Schammer, Browne, Edgecumbe and Webster to establish themselves as quality midfielders before having the ability to play Pav as a key forward without disrupting our midfield structure.

Forward Line:

Lets be honest here, our forward line has really underperformed this season. Croad has only played one or two great games at CHF this season (Sydney, round 17) and Longmuir's impact at FF has been restricted due to his knee injury, a poor set shot routine which MUST be rectified and a lack of upper-body strength to outmuscle larger opponents.

With Croad not playing in our last couple of games, we tried Simmonds as a key forward, which did work to an extent. The only problem is, we won't be able to play him there permanently because we need him to assist Sandilands' development in the ruck. I believe next season is the year to play Polak as a permanent CHF. With some extra sessions in the weights room and doing 100% of the pre-season running schedule now that he is a third year player, next season will be his year. He played very well at CHF in the second half of Friday night's EF, and once he gains more confidence with his set shot kicking, he should be able to perform on a consistent basis.

Despite being patchy in the early half of the season, Medhurst has had a relatively good year but needs to pass the ball to team mates in a better position more often. I know he is in the top ten in the league for goal assists, but he often blazes away instead of passing to a team mate, with his refusal to pass to Polak in the last quarter of Friday night's EF being a prime example. He leads to from the pocket which is good, as it gives Longmuir space in the corridor and allowes Polak to contest the ball further up the ground at CHF.

Farmer HAS had some good games for us this year (as outlined in the other thread), but he is still capable of a better output. As long as a 55 metre chain is tied from his ankle to the goal post next season, there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to kick more than 45 - 50 goals, provided he plays every game.

Unfortunately, I doubt whether the future of Croad, Koops or Walker remains with Freo. Croad and Koops have really underperformed this year and whilst Walker has played some good games, if we could trade two of them in a deal for a quality midfielder to assist us in the stoppages as well as some picks, we would jump at that deal IMO.

Your thoughts?

Croad in my opinion is as good as gone.
We trade him to the doggies or melbourne as a Key Forward/Key Defender.
Get their top 5 pick (of course we throw in someone, walker or siegurt as a sweetner).
Keep 5th or and trade 12th pick or vice versa and get ourselves a midfielder.
Armstrong,Cassisi,Couglan etc would do nicely.

I would take Croad out of the equation and Koops who I think will also be traded at the end of the season.

When talking about Freo's best line up, surely Pavlich must be forward. The final against the Bombers highlighted your needs for a marking CHF. J. Lo is better suited to a one-on-one match up in the goalsquare, as he doesn't seem to take marks around the ground, and is soft as butter under any pressure. Cant shoot on goal from any further than 40m out. Polak, as good a mark as he is, doesn't have any where near smarts nor the footskills to play CHF. Give him time.

Pav at CHF would be impossible to match up on. He is more easily negated in the midfeild where a one-on-one contest is rare, and players can block and hold more. Give him space at CHF to run and lead into and he'll kick goals at will from outside 50, and with his footskills, feed the other forwards all day. Pav should be an enforcer at CHF who dominates games by kicking bags of goals and taking plenty of marks from your running defenders (Rog, Woods, Des off the wing ect...). By playing Pav in the midfeild it is softening him up, and turning him into a receiver.

Des had a poor season, more improvment from him next season should see him in the receiver's role in the midfeild, (Cook, Haz, Bell the in&under players) with Pav forward where he belongs.

Originally posted by sabre_ac
Croad in my opinion is as good as gone.
We trade him to the doggies or melbourne as a Key Forward/Key Defender.
Get their top 5 pick (of course we throw in someone, walker or siegurt as a sweetner).

Croad would be the sweetner in that deal. Come on sabre no club is going to give up a first round draft pick for croad. He is an overpayed fringe player. The most likely option will be him traded to thw WB, Dees, or Cats for their 2nd rd picks (19/20/22). One of these clubs might throw in a sweetner just to pip the other.

Great thoughts, |D_J^B_J|. I think you've hit the nail on the head there.
In regard with JLo, his kicking has seriously gone backwards in the last two seasons. In 2001 one of the few highlights was his accuracy in from of goals (Hawk game), but since his knee injuries, his strength and confidence looks very ordinary.

On Croad, I have really no idea what to think there. Do we give him another go next year to see if he can perform aswell as we know he can, change his position, or are we flogging a dead horse??? I've been thinking all year I'd like to see him around half back running towards goal, rebouding, crashing through the lines, using his athletic strengths of chasing and tackling, rather than leading away from goal, trying to read the play which he seems to struggle to do so.

It just showed late in the game on Friday, how damaging Pavlich could be being a target up forward. I think he is the type of player that can be used anywhere on the ground, he's been impressive everywhere he's put. Take the Kangaroo's game for example. He was awesome in the midfield crashing through, running forward, taking shots on goal just inside 50 on the run. Pav's versitility is a huge asset for Freo, and also a topic for great discussion on where he is best suited as a good case could be made for a nimber of positions. But where ever he is put, he must be in a position to create play, not to negate another player. Matching him up on Hird was a mistake in my opinion.

While Polak's form did taper towards the end of the season (which is understandable for a tall youg fella in his fist full season) I do agree that CHF is his position, but he must bulk up over this summer and sort out his kicking for goal (which will come with confidence). With his marking ability, he'd give opposition teams alot of problems.

I would probably swap McManus and Headland. Do we really want to be counting on McManus for shots on goal?? Headland would improve our forward line strength.

I'd consider swapping McPharlin and Polak...While both will be star players at either end of the ground...i feel McPharlin's goal sense will make him a better forward.
Polak's kicking style isn't great, especially for goal and although he'll improve, I fell McPharlin's natural sense up forward could make him a better prospect.
Either way it should work though...expect one of them to start forward next season...their marking power is wasted in defence..

Do you think Waterhouse is gone as I reckon the doggies could use him in the foward line.?

Any thoughts on the matter.

Originally posted by Gnome Murphy
Do you think Waterhouse is gone as I reckon the doggies could use him in the foward line.?

Any thoughts on the matter.

Clive will probably play one more game.

We could trade him to the Doggies, but what would we get in return?, if not Murphy, how about a later draft pick.

Unfortunately Clive is now in the "swapping for a slab" category.

Originally posted by masai
Clive will probably play one more game.

We could trade him to the Doggies, but what would we get in return?, if not Murphy, how about a later draft pick.

Unfortunately Clive is now in the "swapping for a slab" category.

I seriously doubt even the desperate doggies would trade for an injury prone 30 year old.

Love Clive, but his time's up. Give him one more game to reach his 100 and the huge send-off he deserves as a faithful son (albeit adopted) of Fremantle.

I would love to be wrong .... oh Clive please prove me wrong...:(

unfortunatly, football sides generally dont have the luxury of keeping injury ridden 30 year olds in the team for the exclusive purpose of getting their 100th game. if they did, then there would really big questions asked about the squad management. so id say waterhouse will only be there next year if they come up short on the player list

im keen for croad to make the transition to CHB. he will need a big off season, taken under the wing of their defensive coach, thats chris waterman right? scott lucas has made the transition to the backline really well this year, and i think with help croad could do the same. plus it would free up polak to move into the forward line.

so much of playing forward is being creative, running hard and getting to the right spots to receive or win the football. croad just hasent done that this year, and his confidence is low, so his disposal has also slipped too. maybe what he needs is a big defensive assignment, week to week. say to him, croadie, this week your job is anthony rocca, go away and watch videos of him in your spare time, work all week with the defensive squad and work on man to man work, ect. ect. hes got the height, physique and fitness to be a good defender, if we drill good defensive skills into him, maybe he'll become a really effective defender.

the saying goes, great backmen are made, not born

Originally posted by zero
unfortunatly, football sides generally dont have the luxury of keeping injury ridden 30 year olds in the team for the exclusive purpose of getting their 100th game. if they did, then there would really big questions asked about the squad management. so id say waterhouse will only be there next year if they come up short on the player list

No question Clive will be there next year, he's still got a year on his contract and he's paid too much to get delisted.
How much he plays will depend on his early season form. If he can't crack a game by round 5, I think his career will be over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back