Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't even bothered to read the BF mock draft, I have my own opinion on talent.

All I'm saying is, I would have preferred to select Hrovat at pick 20, and 'hoped' Broomhead was still around at pick 38 - which I think he would have been.

IMO, Hrovat and Broomhead is a better return that Broomhead and Jackson Ramsey. Wouldn't you agree?

And 'if' Broomhead wasn't available at pick 38, I still think Hrovat will end up a better prospect than Broomhead.

Perhaps due to Kennedy's height, we were scared to take two sub 175cm players?

there was a 0% chance broomhead was still going to be there at 38 from what i've heard, so the argument is pointless. If you want to disagree that's fine i guess, just hope it doesn't come back to bite you too soon when Hine proves right ;)

I haven't even bothered to read the BF mock draft, I have my own opinion on talent.

All I'm saying is, I would have preferred to select Hrovat at pick 20, and 'hoped' Broomhead was still around at pick 38 - which I think he would have been.

IMO, Hrovat and Broomhead is a better return that Broomhead and Jackson Ramsey. Wouldn't you agree?

And 'if' Broomhead wasn't available at pick 38, I still think Hrovat will end up a better prospect than Broomhead.

The talk on SEN after the draft was that Essendon were pissed we took him at #20 as they were going to select him, and Port were hoping he'd be there by #29. So no, he wouldn't have been there by #38.

I'm not losing sleep on Hrovat. He looks like a neat accumulator who lacks weapons. I think a few may have got caught up in the romanticism that he barracks for Collingwood. Unfortunately, as James Stewart will tell you, that doesn't always pan out as planned.

This to me says a couple of things.....

1. The club obviously rate our young talls and are backing them in this season
  2. We need to develop a running half back
For those screaming about missing Hrorvat, as Dave86 says we have enough smalls on the list and there is no way we could have taken both him and kennedy. Would have been interesting to see what we did if Stringer and Lonnergan were still available.
I must admit I'm surprised we didnt take Wright at 20 but as we say, in Hine we trust.
Grundy is just a massive wow.......Gee I hope we develop a good young premium ruckman who stays with us for 200+ games.
Good night for us and well done Pies

Was hoping he'd look like this.
broom-man_003_1196470949.jpg

Totally disagree with what you say. Our recruiters are paid for their job and won't pick someone for no reason.

Agree with others that this was rendalls pick

NO WAY! we chose this guy over Hrovat, Clurey, O'Brien and White?

GOD, I hope Hine shows me that I know nothing, but I have a bad feeling about this one.

Ellis or Pendlebury? I think Hine knows what he's doing man.

The talk on SEN after the draft was that Essendon were pissed we took him at #20 as they were going to select him, and Port were hoping he'd be there by #29. So no, he wouldn't have been there by #38.

I'm not losing sleep on Hrovat. He looks like a neat accumulator who lacks weapons. I think a few may have got caught up in the romanticism that he barracks for Collingwood. Unfortunately, as James Stewart will tell you, that doesn't always pan out as planned.

I think the thing with Hrovat that bothered me was 2 goals 15. His around the ground kicking was great I thought, but if you play forward and can't convert, that's an issue. And with a short mid in Kennedy of a similar style - keeping in mind we have Blair, Thomas and possibly Edwards - to take almost a duplicate wouldn't have been clever.

this guy looks pretty tidy to me.. he looks smart and composed, players like that usually develop well..
like dayne beams..

Totally disagree with what you say. Our recruiters are paid for their job and won't pick someone for no reason.

Didn't we already have SA based recruiters before rendell came? think it might be a bit unfair for rendell to walk in and get all the credit.

Ellis or Pendlebury? I think Hine knows what he's doing man.

What are you talking about? Ellis was taken at pick 3, and Pendlebury at pick 5.
Hine never had a choice between Ellis and Pendles as Ellis was already gone.

"Pick someone for no reason" I never said they shut there eyes and put their finger on a name. Of course they have picked Broomhead with a wealth of knowledge behind their decision. I just believe that in a few years time, we will see that Hrovat is a better player than Broomhead, and I therefore don't like the decision.

It's the fact that he's a fast running forward midfielder which I think is the positive thing for me. How often this year did we look slow going into attack? This guy looks like he can break the lines, take a good grab and kick goals on the run. He is obviously a work in progress with his frame but that will come. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the club has in store for him.

Good luck brooomy.

FWIW Stephen Wells on SEN this morning confirmed that he was on their radar at 16. He's a very solid selection and I don't understand the mild negativity.

I could be wrong, but is it because he isn't seen as a sexy pick when compared to the likes of Clurey, Hrovat and O'Brien??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt about that, but that doesn't mean he gets it 100% right every single time.

Clearly I am alone when saying that Hrovat will be a better player than Broomhead..

Remember this conversation in 5 years.. Perhaps even 3
You are correct he does occasionally get it wrong although there aren't many.
I'll still back his judgment over posters on footy fan sites who only ever use his rare misses as evidence they would be a better drafter than him.
The fact is Hine is one of the best recruiters in the AFL and is acknowledged as such, while posters on the other hand just make guesses that mean nothing other than generating discussion.

And I don't think we will need to wait 5 years, if the kid is no good he will be gone in 2, however if he makes it I suspect you will forget this conversation much quicker than that.

What are you talking about? Ellis was taken at pick 3, and Pendlebury at pick 5.
Hine never had a choice between Ellis and Pendles as Ellis was already gone.

My bad.... Meant Daisy/Ellis.
The fact we then took Pendles so early was another strange one at the time.

My point is that Hine is a gun recruiter and you, nor I could do any better.

Yeah I'd be really interested to know whether we still would've taken him had Simpson or Lonergan dropped. I would've been over the moon had Lonergan fallen to our pick.

However, as I pointed out early, this selection makes great sense when you have a look at what happened before our pick. I also think it was very much a choice between Hrovat or Kennedy given the need for some height through the middle. I'm glad we didn't take both.

Would've also been very interesting to see if Spencer White and Stewart had dropped to pick 38 had we taken a punt on one of them over Ramsey.

If I were recruiter, I probably would've gone Membrey at 38...but I'm sure in 5 years time I'll look back at this post and say Hine was right. I was getting really excited given the fact that Membrey and Garlett were still available, and was quite dissapointed when we took a relative unknown.

However, the selection does make sense considering we all have made mention how we need run out of defence.

The other query was that we didn't use pick 80. Not sure what the club has in store here. Perhaps we trial a guy like Garlett out, or perhaps we have another mature aged guy coming. There must be a plan because we traded out 2 picks in the 40's so was obviously always our intention to only take 4 selections.

FWIW Stephen Wells on SEN this morning confirmed that he was on their radar at 16. He's a very solid selection and I don't understand the mild negativity.

I could be wrong, but is it because he isn't seen as a sexy pick when compared to the likes of Clurey, Hrovat and O'Brien??

I think all it comes down to is that he wasn't one of the names being bandied about, hence hardly anyone had even heard of him let alone seen his highlights. After watching the clip on the Pies website, I must admit being pretty impressed by what I saw. Good, well weighted kicks to advantage, speed and clean hands. Exactly the sort of player that we've been crying out for either off half back or wing

I think this draft proves one thing that M Rendell has not been sitting on a bean bag playing call of duty since he left the Crows.

I am happy with all our picks and will back them in until they leave us I also think that Rendell is one of the best at his job going around and things look great to me.

I think these 2 lads Broomhead and Ramsay have as good a chance at making it as an AFL player at the Pies as they would anywhere,most of these kids who get drafted would love the chance to play for the club they barracked for but there would be very few who would not jump at the chance to picked up by the Pies.:)

smells of rendell. stepped in and got what he wanted. picks 18 & 19 got called immediately. this kid took 30 seconds to think over when theyve had these 3 picks lined up for 36+ hours.

DH "are you that sure matt ?"

MR "oh yeah, im sure"

I was also wondering about Hine's hesitation at pick 20. He took his time in calling Broomhead out. I almost thought Hine wasn't sure - amazing if there really was a last minute change of mind, or uncertainty, maybe brought on by snaring Grundy unexpectedly as many on here have said.

I think all it comes down to is that he wasn't one of the names being bandied about, hence hardly anyone had even heard of him let alone seen his highlights. After watching the clip on the Pies website, I must admit being pretty impressed by what I saw. Good, well weighted kicks to advantage, speed and clean hands. Exactly the sort of player that we've been crying out for either off half back or wing
I just watched that video and I am very happy with this selection as I am with all the others including Jackson Ramsay who I think has a big upside as well,injuries do have a negative effect on a kid,s chance of being drafted.

One thing we can be sure of is that Hine has done his homework on all of our draft picks and I would back him and team to get it right 9 times out 10.If Ramsay had not been injured he may well have been a 1st rd pick we do not know but we know that Hine does not leave things to chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back