Past Tim 'Possum' Notting (1997-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Tim Notting

was brought in to replace Hooper, so for me Notting is back out to make way for Hooper coming back in. He wasn't bad, but didn't do anything to make selectors overlook him for being dropped.

He still showed glimpses in that game. He looked really fit too, so hopefully he can find some form and find his way back in.

Way to go - get stuck into it Tim.

Link

Notting and Stiller can't be blamed for the Lions' loss to Collingwood and it may turn out they are in the best 22 players at Voss's disposal.

But he won't know that until he has explored his options.

After 198 games, close to 150 as teammates, Voss knows what Notting brings to the team. You don't play close to 200 games, and you would assume he'll reach the milestone this year, if you can't play.

But it is doubtful he is going to take this side to the next level.

notting28.jpg

Link

At the other end of the spectrum is veteran Tim Notting, whose versatility edged out defender Jason Roe for the final spot.

Notting's 198 games of AFL, which include two premierships, cover the 140-odd combined games' experience the side has lost through the injuries to Merrett and Patfull.

"Yes his experience is a factor, he knows the side, he knows the game plan and he knows how to travel interstate and win a game of footy," Voss said.

"But he was chosen because of his form and what he brings to us in terms of flexibility - he can play defence, midfield or in attack and he has been one of the best in the reserves.

"It was getting hard to ignore him anyway.

"His attitude since he hasn't been in the senior team has been fantastic."

Looks like possum will get to the 200 milestone this weekend. :thumbsu:
At the same time i think this would be his make or break game for the rest of the season.

Link

http://google-redirect.com/r.php?u=59&b=1693230274&q=&s=other&url=Notting reaches 200 game milestone
4:58 PM Thu 28 May, 2009

Lions utility Tim Notting will play his 200th AFL match this weekend when the Lions face North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The dual premiership (2001, 2002) player and Lions Life Member will become only the 26th player in the Club's history to reach this important milestone.

The 30 year-old is currently the oldest player on the Lions’ list (exactly one month older than Daniel Bradshaw) and is one of only seven premiership players remaining on the Club’s list.

Notting has been an integral – and often underrated – member of the Lions’ side throughout his 13-year career and boasts an impressive list of individual accolades. His value was further recognised in 2006 when he earned a place in the Club’s esteemed Team of the Decade.

The Club extends it best wishes to ‘Possum’ on this magnificent achievement.

CLUB 200 GAMERS
Kevin Murray (1955 – 1964, 1967 – 1974) - 333 games
Marcus Ashcroft (1989 – 2003) - 318 games
Alastair Lynch (1988 – 2004) - 306 games
Michael Voss (1992 – 2006) - 289 games
Nigel Lappin (1994 – 2008) - 279 games
Shaun Hart (1990 – 2004) - 273 games
Paul Roos (1982 – 1994) - 269 games
Garry Wilson (1971 – 1984) - 268 games
Darryl White (1992 – 2005) - 268 games
Chris Johnson (1994 – 2007) - 264 games
Frank Curcio (1932 – 1948) - 249 games
Jason Akermanis (1995 – 2006) - 248 games
Simon Black (1998 –) - 241 games*
Norm Johnstone 1944 – 1957 - 228 games
Justin Leppitsch (1993 – 2006) - 227 games
Luke Power (1998 –) - 226 games*
Allan Ruthven (1940 – 1954) - 222 games
David McMahon (1973 – 1984) - 218 games
Chris Scott (1994 – 2007) - 215 games
John Murphy (1967 – 1977) - 214 games
Alan Gale (1948 – 1961) - 213 games
Warwick Irwin (1970 – 1980, 1983_ - 213 games
Daniel Bradshaw (1996 –) - 210 games*
Michael Conlan (1977 – 1989) - 210 games
Scott McIvor (1985 – 1997) - 200 games
Tim Notting (1997 –) - 199 games*

* Games stats as at the end of Round 9 2009
TIM NOTTING FACT FILE

RECRUITED FROM
North Ballarat U18 (VIC)

DRAFT DETAILS
Selection No.26 – 1996 National Draft

AFL DEBUT
Lions v Essendon (MCG), Rd 8 1998

CAREER HIGH POSSESSIONS
31 v West Coast (S), Rd 14 2007*
*Career high has been achieved twice

CAREER HIGH GOALS
6 v Melbourne (MCG), Rd 21 1999

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
AFL Rising Star Nomination 1999
Lions Premiership Player 2001, 2002
Lions Life Member 2006
Lions Team of the Decade member 2006
3rd Lions Club Champion 2007

notting.jpg

Congrats Poss. :thumbsu:

Is certainly in the twilight of his career now but was one of my cult favorites during the premiership years.

I remember when he used to sit the whole first half out and then come on during the second half giving us so much run... not to mention those booming 55 metre goals on the run. :thumbsu:

How quickly has the game changed... the idea of a midfielder sitting on the bench for an entire half seems strange now.

Great achievement! Obviously was one of my favourite players and hopefully people are able to remember the great performances he contributed to the side in both our glory and not so glorious years and his memory is marred by his struggles for the last season or so.

Well Done:thumbsu:

Congratulations to Possum. Great to see one of my big favourites reach such a fabulous milestone. As I said earlier this season, I still feel the love and I hope he plays a cracker this weekend.

Link

Brisbane Lions star Tim Notting homes in on 200 AFL games
Article from:
Andrew Hamilton
May 29, 2009 12:00am

NUMBERS have never meant much to Tim Notting. He'll remember 2, that's the number of premierships he's played in and 200 has significance now that he has reached the magic milestone.

But "Possum's" fondest footballing memories are of people - the camaraderie of being part of a team and the friendships that will last for ever.

It is why he can run out for his 200th AFL game for the Lions tomorrow and enjoy the moment even though he knows there is no guarantee he'll reach 201.

It is hardly a new feeling for the 30-year-old utility, it was probably the same for his first, 50th, 100th etc..

"It is a good achievement, I certainly didn't think I would play so many games when I got drafted," he said.
"When you get to 30 you know where you stand, but I've had a fight on my hand to get a game my whole career."

It was a constant fight he could have avoided. The club wanted to trade him after the 2003 grand final but Notting rejected the idea. He was a 25-year-old two-time premiership player who could have been guaranteed 22 games a season at almost any other club.

But Notting chose to continue the weekly battle, because he wanted to stick with his mates.

"I have a lot of good friends here, I never wanted to play at another club," he said. "The friendships you form in football are there for life, it is what I love about footy and this club."

He faced the same crossroads at the end of last year when Leigh Matthews retired and his former skipper Michael Voss took the reigns.

Notting was offered a heavily reduced deal and warned he could not be guaranteed a game. The Lions were re-building and their focus was to be on blooding youngsters.

Again Notting accepted the challenge and agreed to go on. As warned, he started the year in the twos but his attitude, says Voss, has been so impressive he has found himself called up for his fourth game of the season.

Notting says he leaned a valuable lesson the way former team mate Matthew Kennedy conducted himself in his final year of 2001 when he was denied a dream grand final appearance because he'd been taken over by younger men.

"I don't want to be one of those disgruntled players who doesn't make the most of his final years and I don't want to be grumpy and lose the respect of my team mates, " he stressed.
"I remember how Max (Matthew) Kennedy did it in the end, he was out of the side but he kept putting in the effort, his attitude was great and he got called up for a preliminary final and got us into a grand final, no one at our club has forgotten that."

Of course Notting would rather be in the seniors every week, but he is happy just to be getting a game.

The bloke just loves is footy. It is why he has no fears about his inevitable chat with Voss at the end of the year.

"No, it doesn't weigh on my mind, I'll see where they are going if I'm needed great, but if they say they want to go another way, that's that, it is as simple as that," he said.

But it will not signal the end of his career - just a transfer from playing in front of the thousands who cram into the Gabba or MCG to a handful of rowdy locals at some roughly mown suburban oval.

"I remember playing against Jimmy Jess, I was a teenager and he was about 55," he said
"He played about 200 games for Richmond and then continued in the bush because he loved footy and the friends you make in footy clubs. I've always remembered him and thought I'd be the same, I'll go and play somewhere as long as I can."

On Saturday, Notting will join teammates Simon Black, Luke Power and Daniel Bradshaw in the 200 club.

Only Bradshaw remains from the side Notting joined via pick 26 in the 1996 national draft, the same year the club merged with Fitzroy and eight Roy boys, headed by Chris Johnson arrived. A few years later, another Victorian arrived, a bruising young centre half forward named Jonathan Brown and the two laid back country lads became firm friends.

"Possum is one of my best mates in life," Brown said. "It is pretty special occasion, he has been through a fair bit and to get to 200 game is a huge effort.

"He hasn't been the biggest household name going around, but he's won two premierships and had a top three finish in a best and fairest. You could argue he was our best player in the '04 grand final."

Brown says Notting's young-at-heart personality has turned his extended run in the reserves, a period that could have become a negative, into a major positive for the side's up and coming draftees.

"The young guys certainly look up to him, he has always got that youthful streak about him, Poss," he said. "He loves the club, he loves being around the boys and if his contribution has to be in the twos some weeks, he takes it seriously and tries to lead by example.

"I am glad he is still here, we love his company."

notting27.jpg

Yes, it was a great read.....Well done Timmy, this is your week, you have done yourself proud over your career...Top effort from the boy from the bush!:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Notting was ok yesterday. I'd imagine he'd hold his spot for another week and may be a chance to play himself into form. Perhaps playing across half-back might give him a bit more purpose and consistency than wing/half-forward.

I was also rapt that Tim had a good game, and hopefully can hold his spot in the team..

Apart from his goals, he did a few things which really helped...one in particular was where he had the ball but was tackled by some cats, he still managed to twist around and handball off to Rich..

Keep Possum in the side. When he is in our sides best or close to it he is such a good player. He has expirence, takes a good mark, he knows where the goals are and he combines well with Browny!

I thought he stood up on Sat nyt in the biggest game. His experience was telling and provided a scoring and a linking option. Good game by him.

I didn't get to hear the second half of the game but one major comment I heard in the 2nd quarter made me go "what!!!!???" :eek:

"Here's Notting...the oldest player on the field..."

Just goes to show, he's still got it! :thumbsu:

He worked really hard. Even in the last quarter, one minute i see him around our side of the ground on the flank, not 30 seconds later he took a mark down in the opposite back pocket. Must have ran 80m to present a target, which is something he did well all night. Made another defender accountable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back