News Tom Gillies signs one year deal with the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Good for him. Hope he gets the regular game time he needed. Best wishes to him..

Go Catters

Is he a decent prospect, or is there a fair bit of NQR about him ?

Struggled for a game in a decent back 6, with Rivers gone and your possible draft issues could be handy enough. Never had a good run of games to get some real confidence so will bd interested to see how he goes..

Struggled for a game in a decent back 6, with Rivers gone and your possible draft issues could be handy enough. Never had a good run of games to get some real confidence so will bd interested to see how he goes..

Agreed.
Getting away from Geelong will help him, if ever there's a player needing a fresh start it's Gillies.

Is he a decent prospect, or is there a fair bit of NQR about him ?
Quick, attacking, needs game time. Nothing about NQR, just not a KB.I hope he gets to prove what he is capable of.

Down back we have Frawley (193 cm), Tom McDonald (194 cm), Garland (191 cm), Watts (196 cm) and depth with Davis (192 cm) and maybe even Sellar (196 cm). It's one area we're reasonably well off, which is why I wasn't overly perturbed by losing Rivers.

Gillies (192 cm) seems to be an addition that's not needed. I doubt we'd recruit him for depth as he clearly needs an opportunity. They may have thought him best available.

It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Thanks for the replies.

Good luck to Tom , will be very interested to see how he develops given consistent game time - something we were never able to do for him.
If Tom succeeds , with Scott T going well at the Roos , that's two Scarlett replacements we would have created !!

Down back we have Frawley (193 cm), Tom McDonald (194 cm), Garland (191 cm), Watts (196 cm) and depth with Davis (192 cm) and maybe even Sellar (196 cm). It's one area we're reasonably well off, which is why I wasn't overly perturbed by losing Rivers.

Gillies (192 cm) seems to be an addition that's not needed. I doubt we'd recruit him for depth as he clearly needs an opportunity. They may have thought him best available.

It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Thanks for the replies.
Tall winger? -that's where I thought he could play at Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gillies got criticised a lot for his VFL efforts but at AFL he was more than solid.

Good acquisition for the Dee's and plugs the hole left by Rivers. More upside in Gillies as well.

Geez when you consider our recycled players since 2007 we have a fair cause for a decent team - consider

Charlie Gardiner, Henry Playfair, Nathan Djukerra, Tim Callan, Ryan Gamble, Steven King, Shane Mumford, Brent Prismall, Jason Davenport, Brodie Moles, Shannon Byrnes, Tom Gillies, (ill say Scott Thompson even though he was only rookie listed) and Gary Ablett!!!!

Not a bad lineup and am sure I have left out a couple!

Charlie Gardiner, Henry Playfair, Nathan Djukerra, Tim Callan, Ryan Gamble, Steven King, Shane Mumford, Brent Prismall, Jason Davenport, Brodie Moles, Shannon Byrnes, Tom Gillies, (ill say Scott Thompson even though he was only rookie listed) and Gary Ablett!!!!

Nathan Ablett and Jeremy Laidler found other homes, too

A
[b said:
[/b]"Gaz_Brownlow, post: 26392440, member: 47471"]Gillies got criticised a lot for his VFL efforts but at AFL he was more than solid.

Good acquisition for the Dee's and plugs the hole left by Rivers. More upside in Gillies as well.

Geez when you consider our recycled players since 2007 we have a fair cause for a decent team - consider

Don't forget Andrew Carrazzo

love the eternal optimist but really?

not sure ablett & mumford fit the bill of recycled players.

(ill say Scott Thompson even though he was only rookie listed)

No he wasn't. He was in the VFL premiership team of 2007 but he was never an AFL or Rookie listed player with Geelong.

No great loss for us but I hope he makes the most of his second chance. Hopefully his vfl performances for melbourne are better than what he showed the last two years here, he'll need to improve to make a career for himself, but I wish him the best of luck in doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back