Top 5 Midfields 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Same Hawk fans who think Will Day is already an elite/A grade footballer just because he won their B and F :)

Don't get me wrong, Day is a very fine prospect whom should reach the elite/A grade level, but he clearly is not there yet.

Think some fans (of all clubs) take too much stock into Best and Fairest rankings tbh
Agree with this, end of the day they finished close to the bottom above two ordinary teams.
Their best players were Sicily and Bruest

Agree with this, end of the day they finished close to the bottom above two ordinary teams.
Their best players were Sicily and Bruest
Newcombe was every bit as good as bruest in 2023. Sicily was head and shoulders above everyone though, and better than all but a dozen players in the league.

I don't think it is so much that supporters overrate BnF. I think it is more than oppo fans don't watch every game and make assumptions and underrate it. All supporters (but especially oppo) fail to recognise important things players do that are not always obvious, particularly on TV. I suspect you are guilty of it here with respect to Day.

Newcombe was every bit as good as bruest in 2023. Sicily was head and shoulders above everyone though, and better than all but a dozen players in the league.

I don't think it is so much that supporters overrate BnF. I think it is more than oppo fans don't watch every game and make assumptions and underrate it. All supporters (but especially oppo) fail to recognise important things players do that are not always obvious, particularly on TV. I suspect you are guilty of it here with respect to Day.
I watched Day and Newcombe against the Swans, stats wise they played well.
They didn't stand out

They didn't stand out
That is precisely my point. So many oppo fans judging players off a few games. Or even one.

And then they say bnf is overrated, thinking they know more than professional coaches.

Peak big footy right there.

That is precisely my point. So many oppo fans judging players off a few games. Or even one.

And then they say bnf is overrated, thinking they know more than professional coaches.

Peak big footy right there.

I probably only watched 3-4 hawks games, Sicily was the standout.
If I judged it off one game Sicily would be in strife as the two young key forwards for the swans kicked 9 between them.
Amartey only played a half.
Newcombe is a bit of a plodder and has probably reached his ceiling.

Yep good forward line …. But not a top 5 midfield.
I will say Crouch looked much better end of season and that helps them, but pedlar, rankine and rachele need more developing

Good forward line in 2023, on the back of a career year from a 33 year-old Tex Walker.

Maybe he can back it up in 2024 but I have my doubts.

If I judged it off one game Sicily would be in strife as the two young key forwards for the swans kicked 9 between them.
I could have guessed you watched 3-4 gamed without you saying it. In fact, I did. It was abundantly obvious. I am not usually that accurate with my predictions.

As I said, peak big footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't stand out
We got smashed by 80 points. No one stood out
If his ceiling is the Bulldogs game in Round 22, I will take it. Not many play much better games than that

We got smashed by 80 points. No one stood out

If his ceiling is the Bulldogs game in Round 22, I will take it. Not many play much better games than that
Well the bulldogs were a rabble at the end of the year, they did get knocked off by West Coast.

Darcy
jackson
serong
brayshaw
young
fyfe
Johnson
JOM
chapman
aish
Brodie, Erasmus,

hmm, still a way off top 5. with any luck they develop this year and are in the conversation next year
Freo building a very impressive, deep midfield.

Big things on the horizon for you guys I reckon.

Interesting exercise using Wheelo stats for 2023, the best sides when combining clearances won, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, inside 50's, rebound 50's, tackles and hitouts to advantage* - granted this doesn't tell the entire story at all - in order were....

Adelaide (28)
Bulldogs (21)
GWS (18)
Melbourne (17)
Brisbane/GC (12)
Stk/ Frem (11)
Port/Carlton/Syd/Haw/Ess (9)
Colling/Rich (4)

Interestingly or not, Geelong didn’t rate a mention in any metric which surprised me a little, while Collingwood got their solitary 4 votes for being 4th for tackles.

*looked at the top 7 in each category, assigned a 7,6,5, 4 etc vote for each place from 1st to 7th and then recorded the cumulative score in brackets.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ.

Newcombe is one of the most complete midfielders in the AFL. There isn't one part of the game he isn't strong at.

Polling where he did in the coaches votes and Brownlow medal plus making the All Australian squad in his second full season is more proof of his ability than whatever you are seeing when you watch him play.

I'd even cop somebody saying he's overrated if it sounded line a genuine opinion, but 'plodder' is an insane call.

Jesus Christ.

Newcombe is one of the most complete midfielders in the AFL. There isn't one part of the game he isn't strong at.

Polling where he did in the coaches votes and Brownlow medal plus making the All Australian squad in his second full season is more proof of his ability than whatever you are seeing when you watch him play.

I'd even cop somebody saying he's overrated if it sounded line a genuine opinion, but 'plodder' is an insane call.
Newcombe doesn’t chase or defend. His opponent regularly gets 25+ and kicks goals. He has a long way to go. He isn’t a plodder but he isn’t close to A grade.

There’s a reason why teams kick big scores against the hawks, and the forwards struggle. The delivery to forwards by the midfield is ordinary and apart from Ward, they don’t run hard enough to support the backline.

Way overrated midfield who many of you judge by clearances. Richmond were the dominant team winning 3 premierships and were lowly ranked for clearances. Pies won the premiership and aren’t ranked highly for clearances.

Newcombe doesn’t chase or defend. His opponent regularly gets 25+ and kicks goals. He has a long way to go. He isn’t a plodder but he isn’t close to A grade.

There’s a reason why teams kick big scores against the hawks, and the forwards struggle. The delivery to forwards by the midfield is ordinary and apart from Ward, they don’t run hard enough to support the backline.

Way overrated midfield who many of you judge by clearances. Richmond were the dominant team winning 3 premierships and were lowly ranked for clearances. Pies won the premiership and aren’t ranked highly for clearances.

Most recent premiership teams have been more concerned with using the ball well as opposed to dominating clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back