Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRWB is looking pretty sound in his/her views on Josh Walker, looks a real afl level kpf. Can help in the ruck. Our due diligence required. Geelong'd be pissed to lose him but there's no way he fits in that forward line with Hawkins and Clark. They may have to cop the hit that the Clark recruitment was brash. Murphy's law though, you don't get Clark, Walker doesn't come on and you've got a hole at chf.
Geelong brought in Clarke to play that role. He should be open to a move to being first choice CHF / Ruck for us.
I do like McKay (draft thread) in that role but Walker could be got for a later draft pick than McKay.

With Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne and St Kilda all asking for a priority pick in recent times I think we should too.
The reasoning can be,
-we have by far been the most inconvienced by the introduction of the new teams. Players (Griffen, Harbrow, Ward, Addison, Reid, etc) and coaches/training staff.
-we lost over 800 games experience at the end of last year.
- We have never cheated, tanked, or burnt dwarves.
- we won't waste the ****ing pick!

Yes this was mostly a piss take.

With Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne and St Kilda all asking for a priority pick in recent times I think we should too.
The reasoning can be,
-we have by far been the most inconvienced by the introduction of the new teams. Players (Griffen, Harbrow, Ward, Addison, Reid, etc) and coaches/training staff.
-we lost over 800 games experience at the end of last year.
- We have never cheated, tanked, or burnt dwarves.
- we won't waste the ******* pick!

Yes this was mostly a piss take.
you wouldn't want to reward a team for drafting and developing well though would you

you wouldn't want to reward a team for drafting and developing well though would you

Listening to an interview with Evans on why they denied Priority Picks to Melbourne, I got the distinct impression Priority Picks were hardly ever going to be used except in dire situations - like a club say losing 4 good/great players in a car crash or something - touch wood.

So shit management, drafting and development (and dwarf burning) won't get you a priority pick. Having said that, I don't think the AFL is averse to tweaking the FA compensation to assist clubs as they deem fit - see Frawley.

BRWB is looking pretty sound in his/her views on Josh Walker, looks a real afl level kpf. Can help in the ruck. Our due diligence required. Geelong'd be pissed to lose him but there's no way he fits in that forward line with Hawkins and Clark. They may have to cop the hit that the Clark recruitment was brash. Murphy's law though, you don't get Clark, Walker doesn't come on and you've got a hole at chf.

Cheers mate. There's been quite a few of us wanting Walker looked at. At the least it takes the wind out of people saying some of us only rate him because he played well against us. But I doubt this performance will change the mind's of people that have already been made up, just like his shit games haven't changed mine. None of us are expecting BOG performances but just solid, cheap KPF depth. Personally would rather Walker kept his talent hidden to keep the price down. Oh well...:p

Oh and if you really want to start something Gerard Healy said on the radio the other day, the Tiges should be looking at one of our small mid/forwards like Hrovat as we have too many and they don't have enough....some people ain't going to like them apples...;)

Last edited:
While I rarely voiced my own opinion on the matter, I'll concede I was skeptical of your outlook, BRWB.

Granted, the opposition were poor and short staffed for bookends, but Walker was excellent in all facets today and if he were to only cost us a second rounder, it'd be a good buy.

That said, I hope we're actively pursuing one young tall in particular - Dan McStay. A close mate of Boyd and an immense talent aboard a sinking ship. Would slot in beautifully at CHF.

Listening to an interview with Evans on why they denied Priority Picks to Melbourne, I got the distinct impression Priority Picks were hardly ever going to be used except in dire situations - like a club say losing 4 good/great players in a car crash or something - touch wood.

So shit management, drafting and development (and dwarf burning) won't get you a priority pick. Having said that, I don't think the AFL is averse to tweaking the FA compensation to assist clubs as they deem fit - see Frawley.

Cheers mate. There's been quite a few of us wanting Walker looked at. At the least it takes the wind out of people saying some of us only rate him because he played well against us. But I doubt this performance will change the mind's of people that have already been made up, just like his shit games haven't changed mine. None of us are expecting BOG performances but just solid, cheap KPF depth. Personally would rather Walker kept his talent hidden to keep the price down. Oh well...:p

Oh and if you really want to start something Gerard Healy said on the radio the other day, the Tiges should be looking at one of our small mid/forwards like Hrovat as we have too many and they don't have enough....some people ain't going to like them apples...;)
i saw his finals last year and liked him, but he's now backing it up. He's young. The arguments got real legs. Sadly he's probably better for them that Clark.

I heard Gerard saying that! I don't know what Richmond would have to offer us though? Can you think of something on our wish list?

In all seriousness I'd be very surprised if we're into Leuenberger or Martin. Both are exceptional first rucks who are either pretty average in other positions (Martin) or genuinely poor in other positions (Leuenberger). This flies in the face of Beveridge's philosophy of versatility all over the ground. To add to this, Leuenberger will turn 28 next season and Martin will be 29 before the season even begins. In his AFL website interview, Dalrymple mentioned that our list management team viewed our best chance at success as being when the likes of Bontempelli and such get close to the 23-28 bracket. This is still a couple of years away, by which time both of these players will likely be nearing their end and beginning their decline. Do we really see our list management team, who have been all about the future, putting significant assets (and let's be honest, FA will bring in a very good deal for Leuenberger and a trade for Martin will cost a decent asset as well as a pretty good contract) into a stop gap who may not be peaking when we believe our 'window' opens?

I agree. I don't think a 26+ year old ruckman is ideally what we are shooting for in fact I think in future seasons between Roughead, Campbell and Cordy/cheaper traded in option our ruck stocks should be in sound order. My issue with our ruck/forward problems stem from how we fit Tom Boyd into this (and how we setup around him).

We look at the Hawthorn model (and we can assume we are shooting for a similar setup across the ground) and they never ever have more than 1 ruckman sized player in the forward 50. It's either Hale or McEvoy and they are surrounded by very mobile types like Roughead and Gunston who excel at ground ball gets and move well and then with Bruest Cyril and Puopolo its a forward line that is extremely athletic. Our issue is that we have a 201cm tall forward who IMO we shouldn't play along side another 200cm resting ruck (leaving us far too immobile) (let's face it how many athetic 200cm players could we find to a) play CHF well and b) be competent enough in the ruck to keep Boyd deep in the forward line all the time).

Pretty happy that people are now cottoning onto the fact that when he wants to walker can be a dangerous forward target. Long thought he could be the cheap as chips options that provides good support for Boyd and Stringer. No team really has 3 a grade tall forwards (in fact only Hawthorn had) and I think losing buddy made their forward line function better) BRWB Happy that you stuck fat on your assessment, I also thought he is a smart trade and today was another glimpse of his talent.

They just said dogs have shown a bit of interest, according to them though they want our first rounder! Not sure I'd give that much up
They have a thread completely overrating the value of ruckman by using the worst ruck examples that were drafted like Fraser at 1, Llane Spanderman, Cameron Wood etc, hence why they think Witts is worth a 1st rounder, particularly in the top 10

Deluded lot

Just on Josh Walker, Carlton are into him and will be looking to get him as part of the Lachie Henderson trade (+ a 1st rd draft pick). So we would have to offer Geelong something pretty decent to get him I reckon.
Carlton have enough key forwards hanging around even if they're spuds + they have Foster

Walker would be a slight upgrade on who they have but he'd fit in better with us as our 2nd imo than them

Walker and a 1st rounder is massive overs for Henderson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton have enough key forwards hanging around even if they're spuds + they have Foster

Walker would be a slight upgrade on who they have but he'd fit in better with us as our 2nd imo than them

Walker and a 1st rounder is massive overs for Henderson

If he keeps playing like today it will definetly be overs, but also Geelong would want to keep him.

I think Carlton just saw him as steak knives and someone who might want to leave for more opportunity.

i saw his finals last year and liked him, but he's now backing it up. He's young. The arguments got real legs. Sadly he's probably better for them that Clark.

I heard Gerard saying that! I don't know what Richmond would have to offer us though? Can you think of something on our wish list?

Well according to Dal, a fwd/ruck, can you think of someone like that at Tigerland? :eek: :D

Imagine the melt if not only one of our smalls was traded, but for big Ty! :p

Well according to Dal, a fwd/ruck, can you think of someone like that at Tigerland? :eek: :D

Imagine the melt if not only one of our smalls was traded, but for big Ty! :p
haha i thought of Ty and Griffiths. Most of us would prefer Griffiths? a small forward alone wouldn't get it done i'd think, unless it was a jet.

If he keeps playing like today it will definetly be overs, but also Geelong would want to keep him.

I think Carlton just saw him as steak knives and someone who might want to leave for more opportunity.
He's no steak knives in Carlton's situation :D

He'd be their best tall currently

Just searched through my posts on Josh Walker on here, I was pretty angry with the "draft best available only" vibe in September/October last year neglecting our need for a key forward yet quite a few here just wanted Peter Wright and that was it to replace Jones. I was all for trading pick 6 and a small for Boyd/Carlisle etc or a 2nd rounder for a Sam Reid or something at the time.

Bloody Judas had to force our hand in the end, but we got in a key forward at least :rainbow:

haha i thought of Ty and Griffiths. Most of us would prefer Griffiths? a small forward alone wouldn't get it done i'd think, unless it was a jet.
If Griffiths was uncontracted then maybe

If he's contracted he'd be worth a little bit like a Small + 2nd rounder for Griffiths + 3/4th rounder

TBH neither appeal greatly. I had Griffiths on my wish list before he re-signed last year, but this year Ty's outperformed him IMO. Liam Mcbean may be better than both.dunno. Getting Tiges 2nd rd might be it depending on player and our view of depth. But frankly I don't see the club actively trading these guys out unless they want to go and I'd agree with the Tiges as I wouldn't be keen for any of above.

Hahahaha that's too funny

A bit tall with red hair

seriously though I have watched him for maybe half a game this year...has anyone noticed how his form is?
Over 20 goals from 10 games in the NEAFL but a tiny bit inconsistent from week to week. Has shown flashes at AFL level without having any huge impact but that was expected. Has shown enough to suggest he'll develop well but has a long way to go. Still really like him though.

TBH neither appeal greatly. I had Griffiths on my wish list before he re-signed last year, but this year Ty's outperformed him IMO. Liam Mcbean may be better than both.dunno. Getting Tiges 2nd rd might be it depending on player and our view of depth. But frankly I don't see the club actively trading these guys out unless they want to go and I'd agree with the Tiges as I wouldn't be keen for any of above.

One or more of our short people will have to go one way or another. We are over stocked with the verticled challenged.

Still a no to Walker for mine unless he comes cheap.
Richmond can look at our smalls all they like but Hrovat isn't going anywhere (been told this fairly conclusively), unless it's for a godfather offer. And Vickery, Griffinths or the mythical McBean ain't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back