Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for October 16th, for trade period to be over. This is the most frustrating 2 weeks of the year hearing a million people "with strong mail" who in actual fact are all talking sh1t. Pretty dirty on free agency as well.

I have studied the drafts for the last 10 years a lot recently, looking at our good years and bad and who reamins, and the media has pointed out we now have nothing left from 2009, but after a pretty lucky 2010 (some shocking decisions made there, but some great rookie and F/S pickups) we've drafted and traded pretty solidly, I think.
Based on that, I have faith in the current recruitment staff, and would like to this off season to really hurry up and be over so we know who's in our team, can start preseason and everyone can become optimistic again.

Serious question;
Who was our recruiting staff in 2009 and throughout Eade's tenure?
When did that staff change?
Who is our current recruitment staff now? I know Darlymple leads, and we hired someone to scout northern leagues this year, but not sure how long he's been in charge and who helps him, and how it differs from before 2011, where we had some very poor drafts/trade off seasons.

Since Macca has been at the club, our recruitment has improved a lot. So it's the 2011,12 and 13 drafts.

2011: First pick 17 Clay Smith, Talia, Pearce, Dickson. One miss there perhaps. Jong was Rookied in this year
2012: First pick 5 Stringer, Macrea, Hrovat, Hunter, Pruden. All good so far.
2013 First pick 4 Bonts, Fuller, Honeychurch. One miss there perhaps.

The 2010 draft was ok in that we lucked out with Libber and Wally, so we nailed the early picks by default. The balance of that draft was pretty ordinary to be honest. So while he's not the head of recruitment, lot's of other are involved and should take most of the credit I reckon Macca has added his own mark to recruitment methodology with his emphasis on not just ability but type of bloke you are getting and his background off field.

Most upsetting post ive ever read. Even if not true. :(
I'm only taking the piss out of the people who said Macrae will request a trade after the Geelong game this year.

Spot on mate, we are losing players that are surplus to our best 22. They aren't in our best 22 fact. Higgins was close, but next year I doubt it.
Jones has shown at his best he is, but he shows his worst more often.
Tutt is a battler, nothing more. Miles behind our good young kids.
Grant has been in reserves most of his career, he is not great.
Higgins is in the best 22 like it or not.
Jones would be if we had a decent coach.

As doggies supporters we all prob have it ingrained in our souls to fear the worst outcome for our team.

I am also worried about next year. If we don't improve, will the likes of Bontempelli be looking elsewhere/poached when he comes out of contract at end of 2015??
Bontempelli has already extended his contract. He's going nowhere.

As doggies supporters we all prob have it ingrained in our souls to fear the worst outcome for our team.

I am also worried about next year. If we don't improve, will the likes of Bontempelli be looking elsewhere/poached when he comes out of contract at end of 2015??
Bonti locked away until the end of 2017, by which time we'll be primed to challenge. Fear not

Jones was our big hope, the fact he thinks he'll do better playing second fiddle is interesting though. It shows a lot about his character. With professional sports people you need to have that world beating attitude. He may well still flourish at Carlton and regardless, I am sad to see him leave but equally he may just be the same old Jones. Carltons Midfield is not going to deliver him the ball on the platter which is probably what he needs.

He might be getting it with more speed and space, though... which is what Jones rarely got.

Agree Higgins was this season but not convinced he is going forward. Jones has shown with the last two coaches that he is not in the best 22. If he performed consistently no doubt he would be, but he is as inconsistent as any player in the league. His best is very good but his average is very bad, his bad is zero, you are almost a man down on the interchange, because it's pointless him being on the field.

Since Macca has been at the club, our recruitment has improved a lot. So it's the 2011,12 and 13 drafts.

2011: First pick 17 Clay Smith, Talia, Pearce, Dickson. One miss there perhaps. Jong was Rookied in this year
2012: First pick 5 Stringer, Macrea, Hrovat, Hunter, Pruden. All good so far.
2013 First pick 4 Bonts, Fuller, Honeychurch. One miss there perhaps.

The 2010 draft was ok in that we lucked out with Libber and Wally, so we nailed the early picks by default. The balance of that draft was pretty ordinary to be honest. So while he's not the head of recruitment, lot's of other are involved and should take most of the credit I reckon Macca has added his own mark to recruitment methodology with his emphasis on not just ability but type of bloke you are getting and his background off field.

Thank you, a more educated response than my won like this was what I was searching for.
In 2010 we also took Dahl & JJ in the Rookie draft so 2010 worked out good, but a better word is lucky.

Out of all those names above, I still don't know where Clay Smith, Pearce, Pruden and Fuller fit into our squad.
What's the opinion on these players? Are they going to be draft busts and future delistings? Too early to tell? I only really started paying attention to VFL this year, and unfortunately just haven't seen enough of Clay because of his poor luck.

No doubt and gronewagan was in the starting line up back in 1985

Funnily enough, we were one genuine KPP short in 85!

Beasley - FF
Foster - CHB
Kennedy - FB
Sewell was a swingman, and good at both ends, but not a KPP. Kellett was tall, but again not a KPD.
Groenewegen had good skills, but was slow and not a great mark.
We had Alister Ford in the twos (makes Jones look like Wayne Carey), and Malthouse grabbed Neil Peart lat ein the season from Richmond, I think, and played him in the finals. He was an average player, and Neil Cordy probably should have played all 3 finals instead of one, but he wasn't a genuine tall either.

And as we all know, we lost the 85 prelim - just like 92, 97, 98, 08, 09 and 10 - and in all of them we lacked enough KPPS - needed an extra forward in 85, 08, 09, 10 and an extra tall back in 92, 97 and 98.

It's a bit subjective I think and not as certain as you make out. I found it hard to have Higgo in our best 22 for some of this year and not at all for next year based on what I thought our list might look like, the way he was using the ball and just his general approach just before he was dropped. In particular his effort against the Cats. I like him too, thought he could have been our skipper had he not got smashed with injuries, but as for next year he would have to work hard to be best 22.

Liam I really like, loved watching him at Footscray trying to stand on blokes heads and really attacking everything. But he rarely brought that to the table at the next level and so to say it's just about the coach is not logical. His effort was his issue. Ability he has. In the end, you might want to try and find out what our offer was to him. How many years and how much would you have paid him to keep him, based on his body of work so far?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough, we were one genuine KPP short in 85!

Beasley - FF
Foster - CHB
Kennedy - FB
Sewell was a swingman, and good at both ends, but not a KPP. Kellett was tall, but again not a KPD.
Groenewegen had good skills, but was slow and not a great mark.
We had Alister Ford in the twos (makes Jones look like Wayne Carey), and Malthouse grabbed Neil Peart lat ein the season from Richmond, I think, and played him in the finals. He was an average player, and Neil Cordy probably should have played all 3 finals instead of one, but he wasn't a genuine tall either.

And as we all know, we lost the 85 prelim - just like 92, 97, 98, 08, 09 and 10 - and in all of them we lacked enough KPPS - needed an extra forward in 85, 08, 09, 10 and an extra tall back in 92, 97 and 98.

yes in '85 if we had Brereton we would have won it!

Thank you, a more educated response than my won like this was what I was searching for.
In 2010 we also took Dahl & JJ in the Rookie draft so 2010 worked out good, but a better word is lucky.

Out of all those names above, I still don't know where Clay Smith, Pearce, Pruden and Fuller fit into our squad.
What's the opinion on these players? Are they going to be draft busts and future delistings? Too early to tell? I only really started paying attention to VFL this year, and unfortunately just haven't seen enough of Clay because of his poor luck.

well Clay Smith is a jet. If he gets through his knee issues he will be amazing for us. Pearce has also had issues so who knows, but word is he wants out anyway. Pruden well we haven't seen a lot. I have seen him play 2 or 3 times in the VFL and he looks ok so we wait. Fuller, didn't show a lot and then got injured, like Pruden we need to see more before we can judge.

I can't wait for Clay to return, just needs to take it slow
next year his goal shouldn't be to get back to AFL fitness, just get fit and go hard for the '16 pre-season
definitely going to be a spot open for a player like Clay who always plays games as if it will be his last

Jones is inconsistent and has no tank
Higgins is worth a 4 year contract after completing his first season injury free
Tutt fumbles and makes poor decisions

Of course it's all about the coaching and the player bares no responsibility .

Talia will be at the club next year and will re-sign in 2015

And play in our back-to-back-to-back flag sides in 2018-19-20 with his great mate Jake Carlisle, and his partner-in-crime Fletcher Roberts...

And in 50-60 years time, the cycle will continue when his grandson Mario Dinesh Nguyen also plays in a Dogs flag side...

I know your not one of the coaches biggest fans , but Higgins very badly needed some home truths and if that meant him having a sook and pissing off then so be it. So should the coach tell it how is or should we just go on as it has always been ?

I know your not one of the coaches biggest fans , but Higgins very badly needed some home truths and if that meant him having a sook and pissing off then so be it. So should the coach tell it how is or should we just go on as it has always been ?

I wouldn't be too concerned about ES - clearly he has a set against the coach and nothing will change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back