Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any chance Tom Lamb can be developed into becoming a big bodied midfielder?

(I know nothing about the draft so this question maybe the epitome of stupidity.)

Doubt it - he's borderline key defender. I see him playing the 3rd defender role and being a good quarterback. He plays the percentages (picks good options). He reads the play ok but I don't see him as a clearance player or run and carry so better suited to the 3rd defender role.

For what it's worth, the "Geelong will go tall because it traded in talls" rationale makes absolutely no sense to me.

It seems to me that they brought in the talls required to immediately address structural weaknesses (i.e. a second tall forward and further cover at either end of the ground) to ensure that they have a side capable of wringing every last drop out of the gun senior core left over from the premierships sides.

My guess is that Geelong will take the best available inside mid they think will be best placed to make an immediate impact.

this is obviously arm chair only opinion but if the likes of Langford or Maynard go early a couple of gooduns would slide to us, like maybe Weller or Ahern. But from all reports we seem right into Lamb, and i have little doubt that if we didnt take Lamb 17, Carlton would before our next. Does the club take the slider? Or take the player they have put all their time into?

Knightmare's latest update for the phantom draft has us taking Weller and Garlett. I would be very pleased if this actually happened.
video-undefined-234F63BF00000578-209_636x358.jpg

GARLETT%20Jeff.png

What's in a name anyway?

Since you guys have 2 of the 3 live picks before our two at 21 and 22, are there any strong rumours going as to who you like at 17 and 20?
Lamb, Wright, Menadue and someone I can't quite remember. Most likely you'll be able to take McKenzie and McDonald at those 2 picks.

Lamb, Wright, Menadue and someone I can't quite remember. Most likely you'll be able to take McKenzie and McDonald at those 2 picks.
Thanks for that, interesting mix. Seems unlikely that Wright will slide that far now that lots of clubs are apparently interviewing him late, due to the likelihood/possibility of him sliding more than expected, but Grundy slid that far, so it wouldn't be the biggest shock ever.

Have your club been open about what sort of needs they would ideally like to address in the draft and with those two picks in particular?

Will be very interesting to see who we go with with those two picks, but I doubt it will be both McKenzie and McDonald, especially if there are one or two who we thought would be gone by those two picks who "slide" into the 20's. Someone like Marchbank could very easily be available, for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that, interesting mix. Seems unlikely that Wright will slide that far now that lots of clubs are apparently interviewing him late, due to the likelihood/possibility of him sliding more than expected, but Grundy slid that far, so it wouldn't be the biggest shock ever.

Have your club been open about what sort of needs they would ideally like to address in the draft and with those two picks in particular?

Will be very interesting to see who we go with with those two picks, but I doubt it will be both McKenzie and McDonald, especially if there are one or two who we thought would be gone by those two picks who "slide" into the 20's. Someone like Marchbank could very easily be available, for example.
Not really. My personal view, looking at our list is that we have a lack of key forward options and a lack of ruckmen. I wouldn't be opposed to something like:

17: Wright
20: Lamb
RD: Tagliabue (VFL ruckman)

We have a lot of young defenders, a few young mids and a couple of young small forwards (Orazio Fantasia, Zach Merrett).
Reckon saints get Neal-bullen and McKenzie but everyone says McKenzie will slide further, maybe anb and marchbank?
If Marchbank is at pick 20 I'd be disappointed if we didn't take him. Hell, unless both he AND Wright slide I would be disappointed if we didn't take him at 17. Quality defender.

Is there any chance Tom Lamb can be developed into becoming a big bodied midfielder?

(I know nothing about the draft so this question maybe the epitome of stupidity.)

If it's at all possible it'd be more Isaac Smith than like Michael Barlow, I haven't seen anything from him to indicate he's got that inside game, and it's not the best use of his strengths in any event.

Think he's best suited to a wing where he can run up and back, sift off and play as an interceptor behind the ball and also float forward because he does like a goal.

Yeah, Lamb could make a fair bit of sense for you guys as he could give you something different up forward that you might not have now that Crameri has gone, or someone to play the sort of roles that Goddard often plays when he's not playing on the inside. He's probably got a lot of the Jarrad Brennan's about him actually.

As for Marchbank, he is also an interesting one, as he at 192cm might also not be tall enough to play key position down the track, but it seems that he is just someone who may just be too good not to draft once you get to picks like 17 onwards, like Lamb.

You guys really are smack-bang in "slidersville" at 17 and 20, though, like we were last year with 18 and 19. Chris Pelchen for instance reckons there is a top 18 or 19 this year and that they are "as strong as any year that he can recall", so I'm hoping that there is a top 20 "bolter" or two so we can get on the tail end of that bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back