List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 2!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ben Reid deal is the most mind boggling thing I have seen this year, it's one I can't believe hasn't gotten more attention. I know it's only a one year deal but it better be peanuts. Personally I don't believe hes in our best 22 anymore, but regardless he can't string 3 games together and I'm not sure what will change next year.

I can't imagine there would have been many suitors either, public pressure to sign a premiership player for good news? Who knows.

So its only one year and you dont know how much it is and you find it mind boggling. Right..........................

Our injury list is soooo bad that the mere mention of a Pies/Goddard relationship and the bugger allegedly suffers a knee injury...So if this is how it works I would like Dusty, Rance, Riewoldt, Ablett etc

So there is some good to come out of it.

Couldnt think of anything worse than Goddard at our club. The backline doesnt need him, the midfield is stacked with big bodies and doesnt need him, and hes a flog. And hes just about past it.

Positionally speaking, Crisp is a better player than Goddard. Pass.

Last edited:

The Ben Reid deal is the most mind boggling thing I have seen this year, it's one I can't believe hasn't gotten more attention. I know it's only a one year deal but it better be peanuts. Personally I don't believe hes in our best 22 anymore, but regardless he can't string 3 games together and I'm not sure what will change next year.

I can't imagine there would have been many suitors either, public pressure to sign a premiership player for good news? Who knows.

Same page mate and it’s got me scratching my head a little when I read the gushing comments re Guy. That was the deal you do in late October post trade week to reward Reidy for a dozen years of service after you know what the rest of the list looks like. Let’s say it’s a 1 year deal @ $200k surely it’s better business to have upped Darcy’s offer by that $200k for 2019, sort his out and deal with Reid onece everything else falls in place...

I’m more than fairly sure myself :thumbsu:

Nothing surprises me anymore.

We may not have a choice on Elliott. The only thing I’m certain of is that if we lose that sort of depth the club will want a play now type. I want to say it won’t be Lonie, but they will chase one.

TBH I don’t know how Guy operates yet either, none of us do. Moore, WHE, Elliott and Langdon are all clear best 22, probably even close to top ten talents (I ride Langdon hard because he does some of the most idiotic and lazy things on the footy field, but he’s talented), and remain unsigned yet Reid has his contract for next year so I’m not certain. Hopeful yep, confident, perhaps, but I’ll wait until December 1st before using language like that.
Yeah it could take a while to really know how Guy is doing,

I relate list management back to that old adage of trying to service a car whilst driving it down the road at the same time.

Very hard to know until we get a body of outcomes and he gets some clean air to own the results.

Same page mate and it’s got me scratching my head a little when I read the gushing comments re Guy. That was the deal you do in late October post trade week to reward Reidy for a dozen years of service after you know what the rest of the list looks like. Let’s say it’s a 1 year deal @ $200k surely it’s better business to have upped Darcy’s offer by that $200k for 2019, sort his out and deal with Reid onece everything else falls in place...
Hope Timmy reads this since my post didn't quite make it clear enough!

Somebody has to take the Reid list spot, whether its him or somebody else. If its him or somebody else on or near a base wage then either way that money is not available to be spent on Moore. Unless you run one short on the player list.

Somebody has to take the Reid list spot, whether its him or somebody else. If its him or somebody else on or near a base wage then either way that money is not available to be spent on Moore.

Sam Collins, done. Mate it’s like shooting fish in a barrel with you on this sort of stuff...

Sam Collins, done. Mate it’s like shooting fish in a barrel with you on this sort of stuff...

Follow my point.

Youre saying pay Moore 200 extra and save the money we are paying Reid.

But Reid or whoever replaces him still has to get paid.

If we are paying Ben Reid or Sam Collins or Joe Bloggs $200k, you cant then also spend it on Moore.

The savings to keep Moore and hopefully land Lynch will come from

• Moore being reasonable
  • Lynch being reasonable
  • Reid getting dropped to base salary
  • Mayne and Wells getting less after frontloading
  • delisting/trading/rookie listing players, some of them on reasonably high salaries (Elliot, Fasolo, Oxley, Blair, Broomhead, Wills, Kirby, Crocker, Smith Goldsack all possibles)
  • backloading Moore and Lynch and other players due a payrise (WHE, JDG)
I'm still not convinced we can fit Moore and Lynch (and fund De Goey) but its got nothing to do with whether or not Reid is on the list in 2019.

Last edited:
Alot more than the "$400k or let him walk" that has been thrown around.

If he wants $600k give him $600k. It's important to remember the salary cap is, what, $13 million? We are literally saying we are unwilling to give him another 1% of our salary cap, and if he wants that let him walk....
So if 600 is the figure, how many years would this be for?

Also how would this figure leave guys like Sidebottom and Grundy who would be on a similar figure (maybe a little more) feeling.
And how would guys like Howe and Crisp who would be on way less feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if 600 is the figure, how many years would this be for?

Also how would this figure leave guys like Sidebottom and Grundy who would be on a similar figure (maybe a little more) feeling.
And how would guys like Howe and Crisp who would be on way less feel.

Yep.

No problems with paying De Goey what he wants but Moore has to be far more reasonable in his demands. Hes unproven and carries a lot of risk.

& with the state of our KPP stocks...he’s pretty good Insurance to have.
He still has value to CFC.
How is he good insurance when you can't use him when you need him?. Realistically he has been of very limited value to us for the past 6 years.
2014 - managed 4 games
2015 - managed 5 games
2016 - played 17 games but had to nurse him through the majority of the season with an AC joint injury
2017 - played 15 games but was moved forward and was managed throughout the season with recurrent quad and achilles injuries
2018 - played 6 games which incl two half games before coming off with injury. Multiple injuries but at present bilateral knees.

Missing 63 games out of a possible 110 games because of injury does not represent good insurance (he was on large coin during this period), particularly when we have 7 other players in exactly same position of being chronically injured.

How is he good insurance when you can't use him when you need him?. Realistically he has been of very limited value to us for the past 6 years.
2014 - managed 4 games
2015 - managed 5 games
2016 - played 17 games but had to nurse him through the majority of the season with an AC joint injury
2017 - played 15 games but was moved forward and was managed throughout the season with recurrent quad and achilles injuries
2018 - played 6 games which incl two half games before coming off with injury. Multiple injuries but at present bilateral knees.

Missing 63 games out of a possible 110 games because of injury does not represent good insurance (he was on large coin during this period), particularly when we have 7 other players in exactly same position of being chronically injured.
I’m not concerned about yesterday & matters out of my control.
I’m concerned about today & next week...
Reid is back playing & could play a vital role over the next 5-6 weeks.

2014 - managed 4 games
2015 - managed 5 games

If hes on cheap coin hes a good backup, especially with Dunn and Shaz out for much of 2019. Definitely a risk but a cheap one. I think its worth it. Besides, its done now.

If we get Lynch, draft Kelly plus a mature age recruit (ready to go)...that 3 additional.
Use our 1st Round draft pick for Best Available.
Or we could trade out our 1st round pick for a well established very good player
Then use points from further back in our selections to get Quaynor (reputed to be nearly a top 10 pick) and Kelly

Or we could trade out our 1st round pick for a well established very good player
Then use points from further back in our selections to get Quaynor (reputed to be nearly a top 10 pick) and Kelly
Would we have enough points with no first or 2nd rounder to get them ? Would we have to trade for a heap of later picks ? Not really sure how it all works

Would we have enough points with no first or 2nd rounder to get them ? Would we have to trade for a heap of later picks ? Not really sure how it all works

Can always go into deficit nahnah if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back