Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just something that we have discussed with a friend last night (carlton supporter)

He actually made a really good point with some of his thoughts
He mentioned that Richmond are in a really good position to put pressure on clubs like GC , Brisbane,Crows & Blues

* Target Brisbane 1st rounder with our later picks as we will have #2/#3 even if no other team that finishes lower doesnt bid on their FS we must and make it well know that their pick 5/6 is going to get chewed up

*GC needs to know we will also bid on their Academy kid Lombard and chew up their picks #8 & #9 so if they are serious about Dan Rioli then these 2 picks are the min that will get the deal done

With so many teams needing points i think we need to maximize our ability to trade off players that will no longer be in our long term plans like Graham , McIntosh , Broad and even Prestia and Lynch if their are interested clubs in the window
I wouldn't just stop there ... this injury plague gives us a real chance to finish bottom ... we are not winning a game without Hopper and Taranto in the side and the odds of them both being fit at the same time are minimal.

Yep, I'll be starting on MSD targets soon. I'll do the best of the weekends junior performances tomorrow/tuesday and then switch over. McLaghlan will be a high priority.
Your a legend mate

I'm all for trading out the likes of Jayden Short & Graham but talk of trading Daniel Rioli (like in the HUN) is madness. He creates so much run from defence that nobody else in the team does.
We can't trade anyone ... they are all uncontracted ... Rioli, Bolton, Broad, Vlastuin, Prestia, Martin ... even the players that people want to move on like Graham and Short.

At least with Balta we will get the option to match any offer as he is a restricted free agent but the point is he hasn't signed either

No one has signed a contract since Hardwick left ... just stop and ponder that thought with what you are seeing on field.

Something really stinks in the football department ... Benny Gale is walking out leaving the Club as an empty shell

We better get used to being this bad for a long long time

I know things seem dire at the moment and the thrill of having a heap of R1 picks is tempting, but can we stop trying to trade off everyone who plays a poor game or might have value at the trade table.

If you think things are bad now, imagine what it would be like becoming the next North Melbourne being competitive for half a game at most week after week and becoming a club that is no longer a destination club.

For mine our best course is to sign as many of our experienced players as possible, even those that some supporters label as being no good and only trade out those that want out or aren't worth paying what they're asking for in new deals.

I believe that we have the core of a good list, it's just hard to see it at present given the injuries to key players. However when we do get those players back and we can start playing with a proper structure and players in their best roles we will quickly turn things around.

You only need to look back to the start of the season to see that we can be competitive against good sides with our best team on the park. Rounds 2-4 we matched it with Carlton for 4 quarters, Port for 3 quarters and beat an undefeated Swans side, who haven't lost since then and that was while we were still getting to understand Yzes game plan.

With some sound list management decisions and a bit of good fortune with injuries there is plenty of reason to be bullish for 2025 even though we're currently 17th and look as bad as we have for a long time.
I agree. you cant cut too deep too quickly otherwise we will be like this for the next 5 years .

We can't trade anyone ... they are all uncontracted ... Rioli, Bolton, Broad, Vlastuin, Prestia, Martin ... even the players that people want to move on like Graham and Short.

At least with Balta we will get the option to match any offer as he is a restricted free agent but the point is he hasn't signed either

No one has signed a contract since Hardwick left ... just stop and ponder that thought with what you are seeing on field.

Something really stinks in the football department ... Benny Gale is walking out leaving the Club as an empty shell

Trezise, campbell, Bauer, dow, coulthard, mansell, ralphsmith, Broad (contracted to end of 2025) all signed contracts after hardwick quit

I'm all for trading out the likes of Jayden Short & Graham but talk of trading Daniel Rioli (like in the HUN) is madness. He creates so much run from defence that nobody else in the team does.
Daniel Rioli is a required player and contracted until 2027. Gold Coast are going to have offer something we can't refuse if they want him (i.e pay overs).

What are you on about?

Rioli contracted until 2027
Bolton contracted until 2028
Broad contracted until 2025
Vlastuin contracted until 2026
Short contracted until 2027

Trezise, campbell, Bauer, dow, coulthard, mansell, ralphsmith, Broad (contracted to end of 2025) all signed contracts after hardwick quit
Are you serious? Your argument is that our MSD picks and rookies signed contracts, so we got no problem?

With Broad you have found a Premiership Player under 30 to re-sign after Hardwick left ... Wow

Oops ... my bad ... Nathan is 31 ... so I think the point still stands ... we have zero talent signed for 2025 ... except Hopper, Taranto and Baker.

And Baker is apparently heading home ffs ...

season 11 falling GIF

Time to roll out the tank ....

Last edited:
Looking at some of the top mids like Finn O'Sullivan and Jagga Smith they don't look like they have much size to handle the big bodied AFL mids. However, I think footy IQ and silky skills will trump all, you can put on size and build endurance but you can't teach instinctive footy IQ and skills. I look back at Sam Walsh and he looked quite skinny, but look at him now. One of Carlton's best midfielders.

I worry that Smilie is only dominating and in contention for the no.1 pick because he's just a big man child that can outmuscle his opponents. Is he just another RCD??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at some of the top mids like Finn O'Sullivan and Jagga Smith they don't look like they have much size to handle the big bodied AFL mids. However, I think footy IQ and silky skills will trump all, you can put on size and build endurance but you can't teach instinctive footy IQ and skills. I look back at Sam Walsh and he looked quite skinny, but look at him now. One of Carlton's best midfielders.

I worry that Smilie is only dominating and in contention for the no.1 pick because he's just a big man child that can outmuscle his opponents. Is he just another RCD??
C.Cerong & C.Warner go ok as well

also that short ass at Brisbane called Neal

Another massive game from Smillie who can't be contained by teams at this level. He was a little more subdued at stoppage than usual and his defensive pressure was down, but he was hugely effective on the spread pumping the footy inside the 50 thirteen times and kicking a couple of goals. One of those majors put his team ahead on the scoreboard with 2 minutes to go.

Another massive game from Smillie who can't be contained by teams at this level. He was a little more subdued at stoppage than usual and his defensive pressure was down, but he was hugely effective on the spread pumping the footy inside the 50 thirteen times and kicking a couple of goals. One of those majors put his team ahead on the scoreboard with 2 minutes to go.

Looking at that clip

If this kid had a Richmond jumper on he would have been penalized atleast 8 times

I must be missing something with this Smillie kid...

You're not.

Racking up huge numbers and is massive for a mid but comparisons to someone like Tom Green are well wide of the mark and ignore what makes Green so good such as his ability to draw opponents and then release to the players on the outside. Smillie is more a run of the mill midfield who can find it but won't hurt you in the same way the elite midfielders can.

Finn O'Sullivan is the no.1 player in the draft.

You're not.

Racking up huge numbers and is massive for a mid but comparisons to someone like Tom Green are well wide of the mark and ignore what makes Green so good such as his ability to draw opponents and then release to the players on the outside. Smillie is more a run of the mill midfield who can find it but won't hurt you in the same way the elite midfielders can.

Finn O'Sullivan is the no.1 player in the draft.
He is a bit small only 182cm

A solid game from Moraes who spent more time on ball than he has for most of the season and responded by finding a stack of the footy. He ran all game and linked the play well with hands. His kicking was a bit of a lottery, some nice accurate passes and some sprayed.

Some stats from the weekend

Josh Smillie 33 disposals (22 kicks 11 handballs) 4 marks 1 tackle 13 I50s 1 R50 2 goals
Christian Moraes 33 disposals (18 kicks 15 handballs) 5 marks 3 tackles 3 I50s 1 R50
Jagga Smith 33 disposals (23 kicks 10 handballs) 2 marks 4 tackles 5 I50s 5 R50s
Joe Berry 13 disposals (9 kicks 4 handballs) 6 marks 4 tackles 2 I50s 4 goals (kicked 16 goals in 5 games this year)

Back