Troy Chaplin...All Australian Contender & Recruit of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a case of a win-win. Chaplin has fitted in well at Richmond and has made their back line better. Where as with us he was one of the biggest offenders of being a pea heart in a dark era for the club. Has worked well.

That's a stat I would love to see proven. He's talking about 6 different games there - so 360 minutes means 60 minutes per game. What about the rest of the game? Who was he on then? What did they kick? Also, have they tracked exactly when he was on Bellchambers, when he was on Ryder, when he was on Cox etc? Chaplin, like a lot of defenders floats a bit and changes opponents with Rance often (our board always has the arguments about who exactly who played on who. ). You would have to watch that contest EVERY SINGLE TIME the opposition has the ball - see what his opponent does - does he lead? - hang back in the square for the bomb etc.

I'm pretty sure they do track when players are directly matched by an opponent. Or else it might be a measure of goals kicked where both players were involved in play/a contest that led to a goal. The figures I've seen cited for goals kicked by direct opponents are always surprisingly low.

But who has made a bigger impact on ladder position. Definitely Chaplin.

Hard to say about Essendon, their season has been derailed due to psychological strain of this ASADA issue.

Port Adelaide were foolish in letting Troy Chaplin walk.

They would have arguably the best backline in the competition right now with him, and Hombsch and Neade can't even make the side.

This sort of trade dud is a move that potentially has cost them a top 4 spot this season.

I think it is a case of a win-win. Chaplin has fitted in well at Richmond and has made their back line better. Where as with us he was one of the biggest offenders of being a pea heart in a dark era for the club. Has worked well.
Much like Schultz, not that he was a pea heart but just never worked out at the Tigers, at Port he is a solid forward and one of Ports top players, sometimes a change can make all the difference.

Chappy has been great for setting up our back line and instilling confidence in the whole unit. He is not a shut down defender but rather a chop out tall who reads the ball extremely well. He also set up play instinctively and initiates many of our forward forays from defense.

Has really complimented our back line and was another astute pickup by Blair Hartley and Dimma :thumbsu:

Nah mate, he meant some guy picking up 700k odd and with a penchant for shedding tears ;)

Goddard is a good player but for that kind of money, he's being overpaid heaps given his output.

You have to admit though - Goddard has a 'serious face' that is up with the best of them. Notice how when the siren goes to end a quarter the camera's always pan to Goddard.

May not equal the Nathan Buckley 'serious face' when leading out Collingwood in the GF's but its right up there.

You have to admit though - Goddard has a 'serious face' that is up with the best of them. Notice how when the siren goes to end a quarter the camera's always pan to Goddard.

May not equal the Nathan Buckley 'serious face' when leading out Collingwood in the GF's but its right up there.
Haha, serious face. Love it :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much like Schultz, not that he was a pea heart but just never worked out at the Tigers, at Port he is a solid forward and one of Ports top players, sometimes a change can make all the difference.

Schulz was a total flog at Richmond, didnt want to train and thought his s**t didnt stink.
Got his act together at Port, good on him.

Port Adelaide were foolish in letting Troy Chaplin walk.

They would have arguably the best backline in the competition right now with him, and Hombsch and Neade can't even make the side.

This sort of trade dud is a move that potentially has cost them a top 4 spot this season.

Faaaarrrrrrrk if I came on here last year and started a thread saying that Chaplin was one of the gun defenders of the competition and Port were just a new coach and a player of Monfries' quality away from being a top four side I would of been laughed at and rightly so.

I would like to optimistically think Port are one more year of development/experience & fitness away from being a top four team. To say that Port THIS year are one more decent key defender away from being a top four team is *ed.

fair way to go yet...

I am happy that Chappy has worked out for Richmond, but also happy he was let go. He had injury concerns and got a 4 yr contract. He has been a good recruit but u have to wait until the end of his contract to see whether he has been a great recruit.

Schulz was a total flog at Richmond, didnt want to train and thought his s**t didnt stink.
Got his act together at Port, good on him.

NO HE WASNT SCHULZ WAS REALLY GOOD AT RICHMOND HE PROBABLY GOT LOTS OF VOTES FROM SUPERCOACH TERRY WALLACE IN THE B&F YOURE JUST BUTT HURTTTTTTT WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Oh wait, I don't care how good Schulz was or wasn't at Richmond. Much like you guys shouldn't care about the opinion of Port supporters on how Troy Chaplin played for Port. But to use your words, he's gotten his act together at Richmond, so good on him.

Zac Dawson is a much, much better 1 on 1 defender and has about the same amount of brainfades a game but Freo fans would have been laughed off of BF last year if we had claimed he was the best recruit of 2012 and an AA contender.

I reckon Richmond fans should throttle back a little on their little player pump up threads.

Troy Chaplin is a solid player, nothing more, nothing less.
Saying he is AA quality is just ludicrous but saying he is a spud is just as crazy.

He was probably Richmond's best pick up this season (apart from Vlaustin of course) and would definantly fit into most AFL sides if not all

After reading this thread, some people just don't watch footy. I hate the tiges as much as anyone but they picked up a very good defender this year. He will give them more good service in years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back