Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

The only one that was correctly not paid was in the 3rd quarter when he clearly dropped his knees. He needs to stamp that s**t out of his game.

I cringe when he does it.

He doesn't need to play for the free because he is just so damn good.

The only one that was correctly not paid was in the 3rd quarter when he clearly dropped his knees. He needs to stamp that s**t out of his game.

Don't disagree because I think it's beneath a man of his talent but when you see how effective it is for other teams the temptation must be hard to ignore, certain teams actually kick a subtatial amount of their goals from this tactic.

Don't disagree because I think it's beneath a man of his talent but when you see how effective it is for other teams the temptation must be hard to ignore, certain teams actually kick a subtatial amount of their goals from this tactic.

Cough Geelong, cough cough west coast cough cough Lindsey thomas cough cough

Agree and as much as I hate it if I was a player I'd be thinking "if you can't beat them, join them" but it's an absolute blight on the game.

Agree and as much as I hate it if I was a player I'd be thinking "if you can't beat them, join them" but it's an absolute blight on the game.

Can't blame the players for what is clearly a fault of the umpires. If they stopped paying it then people would stop doing it. Pretty simple.

Seema simple to modify the rules to say that where a tackle is applied correctly but slips high after the arms are shrugged resulting in negligible high contact then play on.

Can't blame the players for what is clearly a fault of the umpires. If they stopped paying it then people would stop doing it. Pretty simple.
Jimmy Bartel, man. After this weekend's performance, I'd say it seems more than likely he's aware the game is passing him by, and so all he can do is try and milk the kicks out of the umps. What pisses me off the most is the commentators saying "aw, what a smart footballer he is". No, he's a weak, diving, ducking, cheat.

Jimmy Bartel, man. After this weekend's performance, I'd say it seems more than likely he's aware the game is passing him by, and so all he can do is try and milk the kicks out of the umps. What pisses me off the most is the commentators saying "aw, what a smart footballer he is". No, he's a weak, diving, ducking, cheat.

A couple of attempts to milk frees don't make him a cheat. Has been a champion of the game for many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the worst IMO, the crap where Bartel and Johnson doing it is "smart" and Ballantyne doing it is cheating.

Given the AFL make decisions based on their image in the media, this kind of stuff from twits like Luke Darcy plays a big part in influencing MRP and tribunal decisions.

A couple of attempts to milk frees don't make him a cheat. Has been a champion of the game for many years.

Don't get me wrong, in his prime he was an absolute gun. Just think this sort of stuff has crept into his game more and more, as he finds it harder to keep up...

That's the worst IMO, the crap where Bartel and Johnson doing it is "smart" and Ballantyne doing it is cheating.

Given the AFL make decisions based on their image in the media, this kind of stuff from twits like Luke Darcy plays a big part in influencing MRP and tribunal decisions.

The funny bit there was that Darcy, Huddo or Richo said something along the lines of "Bartel played for that one... that isn't like Jimmy", despite the fact that he did the exact same thing against us in Geelong a couple of weeks ago, and then tried it again later in his next shot at goal. In that case he tried to draw a free by leading with his head, Suban had to pull his arm away to avoid giving the free away and Bartel split two of our defenders to kick the goal from just outside the goal square. Don't know when it crept into his game, but it officially IS like Jimmy now.

A fish rots at the head. When his captain's specialty is drawing free kicks, it's hard not to follow along. Head flicking, diving and shrugging are endemic at Geelong now. Christensen (the worst of the lot IMO), Selwood, Johnson, Stokes, Bartel and Mackie all do it. Even Duncan and Motlop do on occasion. Lindsay Thomas gets a flogging for his antics, but the rest of this lot escape without even a comment.

As for Thomas, I like the fact that the bloke is honest about the issue, and has stated that he's trying to rub it out of his game. Christensen in particular deserves a bit of attention. He's a shocker.

Last edited:

I agree. The clique in AFL commentating and media tends to give unlimited free passes to those who have a particular 'image' or are good mates with those commentating. In some ways it is worse that a 'champion of the game' so blatantly dives - Lindsay Thomas we expect that of, but not Bartel.

As for Thomas, I like the fact that the bloke is honest about the issue, and has stated that he's trying to rub it out of his game. Christensen in particular deserves a bit of attention. He's a shocker.

Yep, the Arjen Robben scenario. Everyone does it, the bloke who actually stands up and admits it gets pilloried and the rest get glossed over.

That article that speaks about Selwood's free kick count being like Bradman and Phelp's record says that a few clubs train the skill....
No surprises which one's do.

It does actually sound like the kind of thing that would be hard to stop doing if you've been doing it your whole life. Like trying to correct your golf swing.

I hope the umpires will stop being that soft come finals. Geelong is going to struggle without their entitled frees.

It's so ridiculous that this happens every year - the umpires finally stop calling the soft frees and letting the game play out for finals. Why is it not umpired this way the entire season?

So many comments over the year of how shite the umpiring has been, and how the game is in terrible shape, and then finals roll around and we get great games because the umps keep their noses out of it, and then it all doesn't look so bad and no real changes get made.

I've seen so many games this season (not just Freo games) that have been completely ruined by umpires trying to be too controlling. Let the boys play, and not just in finals.

I think Freo need to get on the front foot re rough end of pinnapple umpiring decisions. They need to do what quite a few of the big Melbourne clubs do and invite the umpires down to training/preseason and go over all the interpretations of the rules to understand what we are doing wrong or right .
Its quite obvious some teams/players are umpired differently to others, so we need to build a bit of respect from the umpies and inviting them down to training combined with a bit of arse licking ,could do the trick

I think Freo need to get on the front foot re rough end of pinnapple umpiring decisions. They need to do what quite a few of the big Melbourne clubs do and invite the umpires down to training/preseason and go over all the interpretations of the rules to understand what we are doing wrong or right .
Its quite obvious some teams/players are umpired differently to others, so we need to build a bit of respect from the umpies and inviting them down to training combined with a bit of arse licking ,could do the trick

Why should we have to arse lick though?

Umpires should be neutral to EVERY TEAM and not play favourites and if it takes arse licking to get a fair go, then the game is fundamentally screwed

Umpires have clearly been directed to pay free kicks to Crowley's opponent.

They are directly addressing him by name before the bounce. Utter lack of impartiality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back