Umpiring moves

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a Fitzroy/Redders old boy. I found out after the game that one of the umps was up for his 150. I reckon that this should have been acknowledged and celebrated before the game. All you blokes(dick-heads?) who bag the umps are NEVER part of a club administration, who know the game doesn't go on without the Umps.
One hundred and fifty games putting up with blokes who have never read the rules and spectators who cannot read anyway.

Quick scan of the appointments showed 47 or 48 this weekend. After the top 30 (A, B and C) the others were scattered through D1/D2 and the U19s.
The problem is more to do with the senior panel being predominantly a Dad’s Army. There’s hardly any youth in that group and the individual pushed by the coach last year some would say was promoted beyond his ability.

That isn’t to say there isn’t a reasonable level of performance by many just that it’s a concern when the senior list is ageing. Particularly compared to other comps, such as the SFL, where something like 60% of their list have youth on their side.

I still don’t understand why the second of the two standout goal umps is languishing in ‘B’ and ‘C’. Unless it is his specific choice it’s incompetent assessment IMO.

Added to which a former ageing fieldy in his first year with many deficiencies is being pushed through the ranks.

I’m not sure why so many have moved to other comps either. Four to the SFL and I see your goodself kicking off the dew in the WRFL.

The halcyon days were in the Herbert/Barnes era when the VAFA was the first port of call for the VFL when seeking future elite goalies. Sad to say that appears no longer to be the case.

What from Lara? No chance.

I'd have picked you up and driven you to Werribee South for the B section game, or to Westbourne for the D3 carnage. Bit late now!

AM: You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment... :)

Dew kicking from choice, No 1 Son was appointed to his first game yesterday and there was nothing better than working the other end absolutely busting with pride. He did really well. And then we did it again today when he was running around in the Westbourne U16s and I was the club goalie... I asked to be appointed to the U18s/ressies so I could run with my boys to save the hassle of going to different grounds, I'll happily stay there because its just brilliant being with them.

The problem is more to do with the senior panel being predominantly a Dad’s Army. There’s hardly any youth in that group and the individual pushed by the coach last year some would say was promoted beyond his ability.

That isn’t to say there isn’t a reasonable level of performance by many just that it’s a concern when the senior list is ageing. Particularly compared to other comps, such as the SFL, where something like 60% of their list have youth on their side.

I still don’t understand why the second of the two standout goal umps is languishing in ‘B’ and ‘C’. Unless it is his specific choice it’s incompetent assessment IMO.

Added to which a former ageing fieldy in his first year with many deficiencies is being pushed through the ranks.

I’m not sure why so many have moved to other comps either. Four to the SFL and I see your goodself kicking off the dew in the WRFL.

The halcyon days were in the Herbert/Barnes era when the VAFA was the first port of call for the VFL when seeking future elite goalies. Sad to say that appears no longer to be the case.

Not touching that with a 10 foot pole.

Wow, definately doesnt make someone want to come and join if they read that :eek:

Be disappointing if it has fallen, was great in those days

Kevin "Chillie" Segota umpires his 700th VAFA game this Saturday at St Bedes v Old Xavs. An Absolute legend of the VAFAUA and VAFA. All VAFA community welcome including past and present umpires to get down to the aftermatch and have a drink with Chillie. Congratulations mate.

Luke Holmes
VAFAUA President

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A
Umpires dinner held overnight at the MCG.

Golden Whistle Award went to Matthew Dervan, a permanent fixture in the goals in Premier aged 16!!!
Also mention Best First Year Umpire, Ben LaVale, who at 17 umpired the State Under 19 game. Very bright future.

Proud Max

Well back on deck for another year - and eyeing off my 250th game come Round 12.

New Goalies coach BJ (oldtimers would know who he was - was a former coach and regularly in A Grade) has a good panel already training.

Numbers looking really good this year looking at the appointments, best in a very long time I would say? I dont think we have seen goal umpires regularly in Division 1 since we have been down there atleast

Numbers looking really good this year looking at the appointments, best in a very long time I would say? I dont think we have seen goal umpires regularly in Division 1 since we have been down there atleast

Last count was 56 - I have never seen it ever that high.

Average attendance at training is over 40.

Personal milestone for me this week hitting game 250.

Been a very interesting ride since my first game as a 21 year old in 1997 out at Gillon Oval.

So Pazza, well done. What's the funniest thing you've seen while you've been running the sticks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back