Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm amazed by the amount of people I've known with home pool tables that only played 8 ball (in between loads of washing, natch)

I reckon every time I asked "Do y' wanna play 9 ball instead?" I had to follow up by explaining the rules for 9 ball. No one ever seemed to play snooker either. And forget billiards!

You'd think if you went to the expense of a home table, you'd have at least tried every game you can play on it over the intervening years? Not just the one game played by bogans in pubs or ladyboys in Patong Beach bars
Snooker is great but some home tables are a bit small imo. 9-ball is a rubbish game, can't blame people not playing that

I don't understand why some people don't just stick a hard top on a pool table and use it as a table.

I've got an air hockey table but with no hard top for it it's annoying to work around and can't use it for much else.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smoke alarms cause more harm than good.

No doubt smoke alarms can save save lives and injury. The flip side are deaths and injuries from falls experienced while replacing batteries or when the alarms go off and howl like banshees.

Unlike a blown globe where you can plan and get a maintenance person or nimble person to replace, a madly twitting smoke alarm or worse when it hits banshee levels require immediate attention which people are tempted to do.

I have had all the detectors removed from my place. I danced about as I drowned the fekkers.

Have had a squizz at Coronial and Australian Institute of Health and Welfare data. We know hospital admission data on falls is inadequate - roughly 20% of cause of fall eg trip, loss of balance etc. We also don’t know what people were aiming to do when they fell from ladders or balanced on ladders/furniture inside the house.

Thoughts?

Smoke alarms cause more harm than good.

No doubt smoke alarms can save save lives and injury. The flip side are deaths and injuries from falls experienced while replacing batteries or when the alarms go off and howl like banshees.

Unlike a blown globe where you can plan and get a maintenance person or nimble person to replace, a madly twitting smoke alarm or worse when it hits banshee levels require immediate attention which people are tempted to do.

I have had all the detectors removed from my place. I danced about as I drowned the fekkers.

Have had a squizz at Coronial and Australian Institute of Health and Welfare data. We know hospital admission data on falls is inadequate - roughly 20% of cause of fall eg trip, loss of balance etc. We also don’t know what people were aiming to do when they fell from ladders or balanced on ladders/furniture inside the house.

Thoughts?
Maybe they should go on walls?

If you can't be trusted to stand on a ladder, subscribe to detector inspector. Or better yet, guilt your children into paying for it

You can't stop the false smoke alarm pressing the button with the end of a broom stick like everybody else?

High ceilings and shoulder issues required climbing on furniture.

If you can't be trusted to stand on a ladder, subscribe to detector inspector. Or better yet, guilt your children into paying for it

best personal solution was drowning them in a bucket of water.

how many lives have they saved? How many have they cost?

Board game table would be awesome:

63e3bcb9627455ed64585dc5_dnd%20gaming%20table.webp

Steve Davis on Pot Black on the ABC FTW! (I'll bet you watched it too)
Fond fondest memories when lived in the UK watching the world snooker championships with friends. then wed go to the snooker room and mimic all of the characters like jimmy white, alex higgins, steve davis, colin hendry and james wattana

Fond fondest memories when lived in the UK watching the world snooker championships with friends. then wed go to the snooker room and mimic all of the characters like jimmy white, alex higgins, steve davis, colin hendry and james wattana

When I was really depressed I for some reason would be oddly calmed by snooker videos. I still don't really know the rules, but I've watched a * load of footage on Ronnie O'Sullivan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back