Unpopular St.Kilda opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a fair bit of Ray in Acres, especially in the way they move across the turf and can snake their way through traffic, but I just think Blake has a much more rounded game, with more weapons and ways he will be able to hurt the opposition.

What Ray brings to the table is basically outside run and carry and very good overhead marking, but Acres will also have a very good running game (is already coming 4th in time trials and also has gears, speed-wise) and is likewise very good overhead, but where I see Blake bringing more is that he will have much more of an inside game and also be much more of a threat forward of centre.

Ray was tried forward early on with us (probably due to his good marking), but with pretty much no success, whereas Acres looks like he will be very comfortable going for his marks there. He did after all spend time playing at CHF when he was younger and the way he goes for his marks up there it shows, IMO. He goes for his marks up there "like a CHF", aiming to take them out in front at the highest point and he can leap for his marks "like a CHF", whereas I reckon Ray's marking is better suited to when he is either standing still, or running back with the flight, as opposed to when he is leading at the ball.

Blake also has that extra bit of height and will also most likely fill out more than Ray ever did and I think he has just as much ball winning ability, if not more. He had very good numbers in the juniors over in WA.

Whether it all comes to fruition remains to be seen of course though and I think we'll have a far better idea of how good he'll be by this time next year. He's just about the one I'm most excited to see play next year. Sounds like he may be ready for what is required.

Fair assessment Kawalsky ?

The food they serve at St Kilda's corporate events is pretty lacklustre.
I've been to a few courtesy of sponsorships here & there - and yeah, not for everyone.

Should of drafted Touk Miller instead of Mckenzie

Darcy Moore looks better then Paddy McCartin
Brad Pitt probably looks better than both of them but I'm glad we didn't draft him

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

We gave up too much for freeman when we didn't need to.

We've got zero chance of landing o'mera. Our only shot was getting a jump on everyone else this year and taking on the risk of his knees.

Hickey's better than Longer.

We should have traded pick 14 for a first rounder next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In what way do we overrate Sinclair?
People need to remember the benefits of being a year older than the rest of the draftees, plus those saying he could end up one of the best players from that draft are reaching a bit imo. Don't get me wrong he's a solid player but can't see him becoming an a grader.

I prefer him off the half forward rather than a mid - his goal awareness is quality

Lose the "Saints" moniker and (even if only unofficially) become known as the "Stingers", "Killers" or something similar...

I don't think our rebuild has brought in elite-enough talent. Would hope that Billings, Goddard, McCartin can all step up and be top class. But I also think we have had good picks, in poor drafts... got a solid workhorse in Dunstan who had already been playing senior footy but had a low ceiling, and a speculative pick in Acres who I said at the time I had doubts about.
We massively overenthuse over a hint of talent, I get that we are fans and want to be excited but I really hope the club staff aren't making similar mistakes and thinking we are better than we are.
Cases in point... just a few months ago... Eli Templeton was a club legend after 5 games now he's struggling to get any ball and will need injuries ahead of him to make it to 25 games. Jack Newnes was going to be a 30 possession midfielder and multiple-season captain, now its clear he doesn't have the spacial awareness or reactions for MF and needs to be in a 'point guard' type role at the back.
Jimmy Webster was going to take that burst and great foot skill and become a top winger... has he even played on the wing once yet? I do know when he has to actually defend someone like Schuey he gets owned, and do feel he ought to be a winger, but I am presuming there are good reasons the club aren't putting him there.
Nathan Wright was also going to take his hard-at-it style into the midfield, when in reality he looks like a rugby player trying to play footy, he'll hit anything but basically just boots the ball hard in the direction he's facing.
Longer looks to me like he'll never be a top 10 ruck, certainly his fitness is an issue at the moment as he's cooked by halfway in the 3rd.

I just don't see a flag-winning side being built here, I see a top 8 side that still lacks spread and midfield class, and still has too many people who can't take care of the footy enough.

(But nearly every day that goes by I hope I am wrong with all of these thoughts!)

IMO the midfield we are building wont be strong enough to win us a flag. We have no young mids I can see becoming elite. You cant win flags without elite mids. Look back over the past decade. In fact look back as far as you want. The rest of our rebuild is looking great.

Is this fixable? or am I wrong?

Lose the "Saints" moniker and (even if only unofficially) become known as the "Stingers", "Killers" or something similar...
well, that sure would be unpopular!

IMO the midfield we are building wont be strong enough to win us a flag. We have no young mids I can see becoming elite. You cant win flags without elite mids. Look back over the past decade. In fact look back as far as you want. The rest of our rebuild is looking great.

I don't think you're wrong necessarily - just that it's too early to tell.

I guess my unpopular opinion is that even if our young mids (billings, newnes etc) do become elite- if wont be for at least another 3-4 years.

We won't be pushing top 4 again till at best 2020 i think.

I agree but I think/hope we are targeting a genuine top 10 midfield gun in free agency. Your midfield looks a lot stronger if you can slot in someone up top, and suddenly a Dunstan or Acres only needa to be the 4th-5th best mid.

I guess no one saw Jack Steven or Armo becoming A grade a few years ago. Before Watters neither were even regular seniors. Plenty won't even make the cut but some will surprise. That said we really need some to jump up and become guns soon. Ross and Geary could both take a big jump or fall away.

if we can get three of Gresham, Billings, Ross, Freeman, Acres, Mckenzie, Newnes, Webster, Lonie, Sinclair, Dunstan, Minchington, Mav, Rice, or White to become elite midfielders, we're set. Combine them with Steven and Armo, and any future midfield picks, and we'll be strong enough in that part of the ground. There's a lot of potential for our list to develop an elite centre line, and the competition for spots is going to be intense. Big development years coming up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back