Unpopular St.Kilda opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

if we can get three of Gresham, Billings, Ross, Freeman, Acres, Mckenzie, Newnes, Webster, Lonie, Sinclair, Dunstan, Minchington, Mav, Rice, or White to become elite midfielders, we're set. Combine them with Steven and Armo, and any future midfield picks, and we'll be strong enough in that part of the ground. There's a lot of potential for our list to develop an elite centre line, and the competition for spots is going to be intense. Big development years coming up!

Gresham, Billings, Freeman, Acres, Sinclair - Look most likely IMO

Mckenzie, Newnes, Dunstan - Good/Solid players

Webster, Rice, or White - Look like Backs to me (won't transition full time)

Lonie - Looks like a Fwd (won't transition full time)

Ross, Mav, Minchington (Good Ordinary Players)

Add in Sidebottom, JOM & Powell-Pepper/Scharenberg (ie another young mid in the Pick 4-8 range) and things look much better..

Add in Sidebottom, JOM & Powell-Pepper/Scharenberg (ie another young mid in the Pick 4-8 range) and things look much better..
powell-pepper? im out of the loop!

IMO the midfield we are building wont be strong enough to win us a flag. We have no young mids I can see becoming elite. You cant win flags without elite mids. Look back over the past decade. In fact look back as far as you want. The rest of our rebuild is looking great.

Is this fixable? or am I wrong?

Billings. But apart from that

Sidebottom and Jaeger o'meara- should be easy :cool:

Two things about that Brandon White family reaction clip.

Firstly, I'm always suspicious of 'candid' reactions in front of TV cameras, obviously the subjects being filmed want to show the audience something. Nothing wrong with that if its genuine, but its more outward than natural.

Secondly, the White family and Brandon himself are probably just cheering that he got drafted by an AFL team, and his reaction would be the same even if he was drafted by Essendon or Carlton or an interstate club.

Still, who am I to deny people their right to get excited about new members of the family?

Last edited:
Powell-Pepper/Scharenberg (ie another young mid in the Pick 4-8 range) and things look much better..

Would love to get Sam Petrevski-Seton next year, he's a jet. Would provide exactly what we need, although looks to be a top 3 lock at this stage and at this stage would have to be considered the best for next year's draft, at least in my opinion. Things change though, still a long way to go. He's my dream get at this stage.

Would love to get Sam Petrevski-Seton next year, he's a jet. Would provide exactly what we need, although looks to be a top 3 lock at this stage and at this stage would have to be considered the best for next year's draft, at least in my opinion. Things change though, still a long way to go. He's my dream get at this stage.

looks good

I have concerns about McKenzie's kicking. Think it may hold him back from becoming a good AFL footballer.

He's got so many other good traits it may not matter, and it may just be a fatigue thing. So not worth worrying about too much atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Jy Simpkin next year.

#myboy

Sinclair runs one way. Poor defending skills. He'll work hard around goal but wont chase his opponent when they have the ball.
Needs to work harder on his defensive skills.

Not the the end of the world if true. Easy to teach defence. Impossible to teach goal sense and class.

I used to think Dunstan would be a bonefide star and a draft gem where you picked him up. I'm not so sure now.

I think the club needs a professional goal kicking coach.
Peter.Mckenna type. I think too many clubs are letting goal kicking slide to be honest. Seems to be more focus on forward strategies.
Good point (pun intended). Statistically we had the worst goal conversion rate in the AFL in 2015. It is a problem. Hawthorn were ranked 1 and we were 18. So this bothers me.

After 2016, we should consider delisting Sam Gilbert for the same reasons as Farren Ray was this year.
1. Doesn't win us games
2. I don't imagine him to be an invaluable leader (I could be wrong?)
3. Takes a spot from say a Nathan Wright

Does depends on who else goes though - don't want to do a Melbourne and turf all experienced heads.
If Brandon White comes on in the next two years then Gilbo will be surplus to requirements. We will have Carlisle, Goddard and Roberton doing much of the aerial work already.

Overrated by saints supporters-

Sinclair
Newnes
Geary (those that like him)
Mckenzie
Minchington

Underrated

Dunstan
Freeman
Longer
Mccartin
How can Freeman be under rated when his career game tally is zero? Surely the definition of 'under rated' differs from simply not being rated either way? At this stage I dont think Freeman is rated - good or bad.

IMO the midfield we are building wont be strong enough to win us a flag. We have no young mids I can see becoming elite. You cant win flags without elite mids. Look back over the past decade. In fact look back as far as you want. The rest of our rebuild is looking great.

Is this fixable? or am I wrong?

We need someone to break out. I'm crossing my fingers that one of Acres, Dunstan or Ross becomes elite but at this stage it is more hope than reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back