Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Ozil's position, Wenger said yesterday:

“I see him behind the striker or on the flank, where he doesn’t like to play,” Wenger said. “I prefer him central. In our team it’s very flexible anyway. When you play on the flank, you can move inside. We usually have one player who is more a winger and another more midfield.”

At the moment, Santi is a lock central. He's in career best form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so

Theo Ramsey Wilshere ????

So that leaves someone out of position on the left. Santi, or Ozil.

Wilshere is a bench player for me.

Ozil may not have the EPL form but he certainly has more career runs on the board.

Wilshere has shown talent in patches but nothing to say he should be first 11 when fit.

We have too many 10s in our squad, but on stature and overall career, Ozil is clearly the best.

Ramsey and Wilshere also wanting to play there this season has convoluted things.

Interesting reports on Coquelin's long-term future with us. The Mirror (lols, i know) reported he is happy with the terms on offer, but that he wants to wait and see whether he'll still be starting games for the rest of the season once Wilshere returns from injury - which is pretty soon from all reports.

I don't mind this if true - puts pressure on the manager to not simply rush back one of his favourites, and defensively we're much better suited to Coquelin in the side anyway. But I personally don't think Wilshere is that great and would be rapt if he was offered to Soton + money for Schneiderlin in the Summer.

Thankyou

The midfield 4 could be Ox Santi Ozil Alexis.

I dont see Walcott or Wilshere near starting.

Walcott in form has to start you would think.

I also like Sanchez on the left cutting in.

Sanchez-Ozil-Santi-Walcott
---------Coquelin-----------

These formations leave Ramsey on the bench which, even taking all possible midfield combinations into account, just wouldn't happen barring injury (heh)

I would say Wenger's first choice is ...

Coquelin
Sanchez - Ramsey - Wilshere - Ozil
Giroud​

Do not forget Santi is in a purple patch and had been poor up until December.

If Santi maintains a form line similar to the past couple of months there's no way he could/should be dropped. On paper this looks a good formation but in reality Ozil on the left flank would be an issue.

Not taking a dig at any proposed formations but just highlighting the selection headache the club faces - a headache which would be a positive but for the fact we have a manager who tends to, when it comes to midfield selection, a) not address defensive issues and stability and b) pick his pet favourite Wilshere regardless of form and team chemistry

Imo:
Coquelin -- Ramsey
Walcott/Ox - Ozil/Santi - Sanchez
Giroud
Is the best and most personnel-based formation we can choose. And that's with Arteta/Flamini coming on to shore things up, not Wilshere.

Any line up without Ramsey is just madness. The guy is going to be world class, just needs to iron the balance between attack and defence and he's set. He had a dip in form for a while and now it's obvious he's returning back to his best. Class first half vs City before he ran out of steam.

It's amazing how short term some of you lot are. At the moment, we've all got hard ons for Santi and rightly so, but he's 30 years old and he was dreadful at the start of the season, or is that somehow forgotten? So many people look at purple patches and just assume the player will stay at that level for every game for the rest of their careers. Football doesn't work like that - Santi will go through another rough patch just like every other footballer and when he does, he'll get put on the bench and Mesut will step into his place.

I don't understand the worry about "when we have all our midfielders fit" - as has been said - they're barely always fit at the same time, we are a BIG club, so yeah, good players are going to have to be on the bench at times, further, we generally play 60 games a season in all competitions, so there's plenty of games for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back